How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Strange occurence?      Share

A Strange occurence?

It happened the other day to me. I was in a conversation with someone and, of course, the subject came up about marbles. I received the customary raised eyebrow, and giggle about a grown man collecting marbles..HeeHee is what I heard.

Then the topic of restoration surfaced...Now the guy thinks I've lost my mind....."Why would you fix a marble?" My response was of course typical.......To bring a broken marble back to life, or something along that line....Again, the snicker as I tried to explain my love of the hobby on both fronts.

I asked him a question.........If I told you I collected, restored, and sold antique furniture, would you think it was silly?..."No"..Old bottles? "No"...........Then what is the differance between antique furniture and antique marbles?....This sparked a little curiosity look now...."I didn't think there was such a thing as antiquemarbles?"..........
    And so, another collector was born..........

Here's a marble that was a goner. even in my opinion at first.....Until I got it into the machine....

S~

Re: A Strange occurence?

Wow - good job - especially with that chip out of it.

Okay that does it, I'm sold! May I gather some of my 'lost causes' for you?

WOW...super WOW! That is amazing that you could salvage that one. Most people would have tossed it in the trash. I knew I was saving that Junk jar for something!

Thank you one and all.....I consider it a priveledge to share these with you all, and will share more "saves" as they occur....

Nadine, Blue.....you may send all your "lost causes" that you wish and I'll do what I can....PM me or email to: SplattmanSS@aol.com

S~

Hey Splattman,Excellent work! If you don't mind I'm interested in having some restored & will probably e-mail you in the future.I've shown an example: a 1 & 21/32" lat.I figure the poles may open w/ the heavy damage neart the pole,but I'd love to save it.
    I was also wondering if you ever get out to any of the auctions around Kokomo.I've seen some advertised & thought about checking some out.(I live in Lebanon,not too far) I always see good ebay items & marbles listed & was just curious. Thanks, Rob.

Thank you Rob, I have attended some here in town..not many vintage marbles there. My work schedule varies so much that I haven't been able to get to any others than local.....yet!
    This summer I'll have better opportunities..

Since we do live close enough, I'd like to see that one in-hand..It may be just a hair too large for my machines, as I haven't up-sized yet...But will sure give 'er a few turns for ya if I can,.

S~

Way to go Splattman!!:moped:

Now you know how I feel when a customer sees their reconditioned marble for the first time. How did you do that?, is the usual comment.
    Check out last weekends work on this sulfide:icon_wink

What the H---:devil2: is that? My comment was , "lets grind it and see"
    Well I'll be darned, it's a lamb" was the costomers reply. They had saved it for years not knowing what was inside.

Tell me this work insn't fun!!:Sieg-Smil

Polisher Paul

This work is indeed very fun....I wish I had discovered it years ago. I'll be posting more B4~N~Afters here as I can, so stay tuned.....

Thanx for the compliment Paul........And keep up the great work!

S~

Splattman, I sent you an e-mail a couple of days ago, I gathered some marbles that sure need your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Splattman, I sent you an e-mail a couple of days ago, I gathered some marbles that sure need your help.
    Sorry Nadine, I must not have gotten it?? This also happened with one other board member not too long ago.

Try and resend it if you would please........I'll help out for sure..

SplattmanSS@aol.com

S~

By golly, Paul and Steve are sure doing some very nice work on those hurt mables. This goes for you other folks that are also doing some mighty fine "healing" of hurt marbles. Just think of all the hurt marbles that will no longer be headed to the fish tank or the land fill. It's a great feeling to have company now in reconditioning marbles. Later----Leroy----

Thanks Leroy !!

If other folks knew how much FUN we have they would want to be doing the same thing. There is no end to the work that can be done with such a small investment. I am still using the FIRSTmachine I built back in july of 03. If I spend $20 a year on grits and polish that is a lot. :sun_smile

At most shows the machine runs all day. Not only does it grind the marbles it also grabs the attention of folks walking by my booth. Then they stop and stare at the machine and that leads to many questions and more work. By having the machine work "on site" they can see the finished product some time later during the show. :icon_wink

Tell me I'm not having FUN !!

Polisher Paul www.paulmnulton.com :US:

Hey Paul or Steve on an average, how long does it take you to crank out one marble from start to finish?
    -Chuck Jr.

I swore I'd never do this...but some just break my heart to see them in such pain...never say never!