How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A Strange occurence?      Share

Re: A Strange occurence?

I'll throw my two cents worth in on this question. A lot depeds on the size of the marble and how badly the marble is hurt. I have completely reconditioned marbles in 1/2 hour (small, not hurt to badly) all the way up to 2 days (2 7/8" hand made 1/3 of the glass missing and this was before I started using a Diamond Arbor for the first step on these deeply hurt marbles.) Each person that reconditions marbles have their own methods (even though we use the same type of machine.) I now use a Diamond Arbor (last 5 years) as a fist step that saves me lots of time on the marbles that are deeply hurt. Most marbles that I do are done in three steps, but the deeply hurt ones are done in four steps. I never charge for the fourth step as it saves me tons of time.
    If I just need to brighten up a marble I will go to the final polish step and that generally takes from 5 to 30 minutes. If it doesn't shine up enough to suit me I will take it through the pre-polish stage and than to the final polish . Now we are taking anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes.
    So you can see it's rather hard for me to say just how long it takes for me to recondition a marble. I am speaking for myself only. ----Leroy----

g'day all! i have one of those marbles,in just as rough shape, in a client's collection that he wants me to sell . but i'm in australia, so sending it to be healed is not possible. how can i do it myself? will you help me build one of those thingys? i'm so sucked in to these marbles that i'll probably offer him $10 and keep them...much to my husbands dismay.:icon_wink and learn to do all that you do with them as guinea pigs. cheers!

Gabbygultch,
    Paul makes and sells these machines. You might want to contact him. I believe he posted his email address earlier in this thread. If not let me know and I'll post how you can get in contact with him. We would be glad to help you build a machine, but getting motors sometimes is a real problem. Later----Leroy----

Unregistered

Talking Re: A Strange occurence?

Hey Hunnie you sure did a good job on that marble I can't wait to see it when i get home.
    Love ya

thanks leroy! i'll appreciate all the help i can get. as far as i can tell...if there are any marble fiends in australia...they are a secret society, so i'm on my own. here is the marble that i said i had...the pics are ****, but i think you can see it well enough....it has my heart as it is...but i want to see more. cheers!

g'day steph! thank god! another marblehead in oz!! i've been feeling so alone...! i've posted to the last place sticker posted to.
    cheers! mindy

Hi Mindy, better pictures would of course help in determining wether your marble can be restored. Let me know if I can help..

S~

thanks for that splattman. i'm still getting the hang of taking pics of them. i'm going to try to candle them..like eggs and see what happens. i have to pace myself though...lots of other stuff going on besides marbles, and i've been letting it all slide.
    cheers! mindy

Ive taken some with hunks missing and remelted them round. This saves a lot of the size being lost. Then the spots that "foam" up on the surface can be dealt with on the wheels.

Hi Ryansandy,
    How in the world do you re-melt them to round? Or is it a secret...
    Pat
    Dog