How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ebay auction....      Share

Re: Ebay auction....

Quote Originally Posted by tnbar View Post
    Pat do you really think that would stop them. Maybe if the buyer knew what the real thing looked like, but then why buy it if you know real from fake. I think the best way to stop all these people is to hit the largest number of unsuspecting people that we can. How about if when we list something on Ebay even if non marble related. We put something in the ad that says something like if you have marbles to sell, or are looking to sell or are looking to buy go to land of Marbles.This way you know what you have and if buying if it is what it is advertised as. Does this make any sense.or did I just ramble again.:soapbox: I think might be a way to hit more unsuspecting people at a time.
    It would be a good idea to put this in your real ads if you sell marbles, that would point us newbies in the right direction when we're looking at auctions.

Here's one that I can't figure out. He/she is selling old and new marbles.
    Lots of Marbles King marbles "of" Paden City, W. Va.
    I asked the seller where she got her marbles for a different auction and she replied China, Mexico and USA.
    So I hope I'm wrong, but it looks too good to be true.
    Here's on of many ebay ads by this seller.
    Hope someone can validate this. Thanks, Tink
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	new marble king g.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	90379  
    Last edited by tinkagain; 04-21-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: photo was too large
    WHAT WAS THE BEST THING BEFORE SLICED BREAD? Marbles!

I have to question some marbles being sold in bulk by "some old and some new" on ebay. I was buying a "logo" marble and realized that it was a new one. this seller has listed hundreds of "Marble King" marbles "of" Paden, W. Va. When I wrote about another auction, he/she replied they get their marbles from China, Mexico and USA. I have to wonder if these are really vintage marble king or what? Would love your opinions.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/260991675068...8#ht_500wt_968
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	new marble king b.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	90380  
    Last edited by tinkagain; 04-21-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Photo was too large

Look like modern Marble Kings.

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

New Marble Kings
    CACs make me smile, Galen

Thank you. I did not realize Marble King was still in business. Still learning about marbles and loving it!

Wonderful ideas floating around here. Whenever I list rare antique glass I always use references. Anyone listing any marbles from now on should use LOM as a reference.

Cool Re: Ebay auction....

Quote Originally Posted by tnbar View Post
    Nadine great idea but getting people to come here to get educated is another thing. If all the people that belong to this board would make a reference to LOM in there auction item more people might just come and see what the real marbles look like. I think the people who are buying these fakes have never reall y seen one. We need to educate the uneducated. But they have to come to LOM do do this. Any thoughts folks. Have to do chores will continue this later.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I will absolutely list this forum in all my future listings!

I'm not sure ebay allows links like that in their listings.

Maybe I'm wrong to worry and maybe you mean something other than ebay, but just in case ... better make sure ... wouldn't want you to get your listings cancelled.

Intrepid Cat's Eye Hunter tnbar's Avatar

Been there done that. They made me remove the link but I could put mention of LOM in the description.
    Thanks
    Terry:

I think eBay would be unhappy about a link to the Land of Marbles site, because it is a site to buy stuff on, outside eBay. But last I checked, they do allow you to mention and thank reference and educational sites, so I expect that something like "I'd like to thank all of the folks over at the Land of Marbles forum for the generous free help in learning how to identify vintage marbles" would probably pass ok. Most people know how to use Google or other search engines pretty well anyway so I think those who care enough would certainly find their way here, given a marker to start with such as that.

My other comment on this is that eBay can and does take some serious action when people are selling fake products of other kinds. Usually, if a product is found to be a fake, the buyer is required to submit photographic evidence that the item in question has been DESTROYED, after which they get a refund which is simply looted out of the seller's account, regardless of good or bad intent. I heard a little while ago of a seller who sold an antique violin as a Stradivarius, and the buyer complained that it wasn't. After sending in a photo of a smashed violin, eBay (and PayPal) refunded several thousand dollars out of the seller's account to the buyer. Problem is, that violin was worth a fair chunk of money even if it wasn't quite what it was said to be, as apparently even antique reproduction Stradivarius can be worth a significant chunk of change. Second problem is, there would have been no way to tell for sure that the smashed violin in the photograph was the same violin that was purchased on eBay in the first place.

So, imagine this same attitude when it comes to marbles: an unscrupulous buyer sends in a photo of a pile of colored glass shards (one of those Vacor marbles, smashed to bits), and gets a refund from a seller who honestly sold the guy a valuable marble. I just don't think any of us really want to go down that road with marbles, too, do we?

Using PayPal and eBay to handle authentication problems and fakes and frauds is like having to use a very sharp two edged sword that has a loose and slippery handle. Guaranteed at some point it will as soon cut down a seller who is honest as weed out any of the bad ones. I'd advise ongoing education as being the best choice, here. Maybe someone could take some time to write some eBay information articles with photos of real and fake marble types at some point? I know that such articles already exist for things like designer handbags and other frequently counterfeited items.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I didn't originally intend to go off on such a rant when I started it.

Caroline

Thanks for the good information, Caroline. I consider myself a newbie even though I got interested in marble collecting back in 2008. Had to put collecting on hold due to health/financial issues. I have benefited greatly from this forum, but I also study, study, study to learn what's valuable. I don't think people are going to quit collecting marbles. They are way too beautiful and the old ones....well, they're not making them anymore, are they? LOL
    I only deal with ebay buyers/sellers with excellent feedback. Maybe that helps?

Compared to some of the folks on this forum, I think am ALWAYS going to feel like a beginner!

Feedback helps but honestly, I think that a lot of eBay buyers are very naive -- meaning no insult here, but neither my daughter nor I were very well educated about marbles when we bought our first lot of marbles off eBay. We both thought we'd gotten the deal of the century, and it wasn't until a little while later that I found out that a lot of those marbles we thought were valuable vintage mibs were actually just Jabo Classics. Oh well. Luckily, we didn't pay so much for them that I feel we got ripped off.

Later, though, I had a couple of seriously disappointing purchases where things like a very out of round marble wasn't disclosed, and some corkscrew marbles that arrived in great condition, but they were polished down to the point where they were nearly pee wee sized. Yikes! This was also not mentioned. I've also had some great purchases too, and one fantastic deal I got simply because I took a chance on a marble with a really fuzzy and out of focus photo. It's a big Peltier Miller swirl, and it's still one of my very favorite marbles in my entire collection.

I learned a lot about what needs to be mentioned when selling a marble from the disappointments I had as a buyer. But I have a hard time leaving negative feedback, as I think most people do. So feedback percentages are great, but they're not always going to tell the whole story. Also take a look at comments, of course, and see what other types of items the seller has sold. These will tell you something, but they are still not going to prevent you from making a few mistakes. Don't ever bid higher than you are comfortable with, and if there's a problem, ask if you can return something even if the seller says no returns. I have accepted a few returns even though my return policy says I don't accept them, because I'd rather do that than have an unhappy person out there who thinks they got ripped off.

I have had very few problems with buyers in general (thankfully!) and I think that most people really are generally well intentioned, but I know that there are scammers out there in the buyer's world as well as in the seller's world. Who knows, maybe those scammers are all actually the same people, on one bad end of a deal or the other.

Caroline

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

Leaving negative feedback is way too hard for most folks. The feedback rating is in no way related to reality.
    CACs make me smile, Galen

I agree.

For some reason, one of my other replies on this topic got stuck way farther up in the list. Not sure what I should have done differently -- I obviously didn't click the right button to get it to go where I wanted it to, but I'm not going to duplicate the whole thing again -- anyone interested can go look for it farther up. It ended up being a reply to something from purpledog instead of a reply to the entire thread. But my point was mainly just what you've said here: I've never been able to bring myself to leave negative feedback in spite of some negative experiences purchasing marbles on eBay.

One thing that might work would be to file a "significantly not as described" complaint when a seller won't let you return a marble that obviously isn't what it's supposed to be. It's a little less drastic than claiming it is a fake, but it would still get eBay's attention if a seller started getting a lot of these complaints. However even that's not going to be perfect -- if it were me, if I'd contacted the seller about returning something and been turned down, I don't think I would want to even file a not as described complaint, unless there were a pretty large amount of money involved. Simply being pushy enough about this to force a return is going to be very difficult for most nice folks. People just don't want to be bothered with being hard nosed, unless something is way over their threshold of acceptability, one way or another. As a seller, I may say "no returns" as my stated policy, but I am pretty much always willing to accept a return if someone contacts me to say they are unhappy with something. Right now eBay is trying to set their policies to forcefully encourage all sellers to allow returns which I don't like very much, I wish they would have a good way to say it's a qualified "maybe" rather than just "yes for any reason" or "no returns at all". I am not sure how much (or if) these new changes are going to affect the overall situation for misidentified marbles or just plain dishonest marble sellers, in general, though and if I had to guess I'd say probably not much will change. The money involved may seem like a it is quite lot to us as individual marble collectors and sellers but if you were to compare the amount of money being spent in the marble sales world to the amounts of money being spent on, say, designer handbags and shoes, I think you'd find it is really small change.