How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

What is this marble, please?

Hi,
    I find marbles and bottles in my garden's soil in Providence, RI, all the time.
    This is the biggest marble (found this year).
    It is blood-red to amber in color, measures about 7/8 to 1 inch (~= a US quarter), and has two chips and some dings - but it is largely very smooth, even though it appears rough from a distance.
    If anyone can tell me any of the following, then thank you in advance:
    its age,
    its material (red-mica glass?),
    its use (play, or decoration?),
    its origin (US, machine made?),
    its value.

Re: What is this marble, please?

Hard to tell from the pics. Kind of looks bubbly inside. Mica will appear to be a flattened looking material silvery in color. A pic of a clear example would help if you can search for one or wait till someone shows an example. Micas are hand made so if so there should be scaring from a cut off mark. Back-lighting with a maglight or flashlight can also help you determine whether its mica, bubbles or foreign debris.

Thanks for the help, Albert. So, I don't think it is mica. The internal marks appear to be internal cracks and craters, as if someone rolled it around and chipped it up before making a final outer shell of glass on it (?) - but it all appears to be one solid piece of glass.
    What does "fried" mean in the post from "modularforms", please?
    Thanks again! - Tom

it was big in the 60s...marbles were put in a cake pan or something like that and put in moms oven...after awhile you pour cold weater on em....they were used in jewelry...it was groovy..steph im truly amazed you didnt know the process

Thank you so much for the insight - who knew...

JOKERWILD

Smile Re: What is this marble, please?

hi i know you all don't know me. I like collecting marbles and marble books.I noticed in one of my books a marble resembling the marble you have on display and in my book it is called a red mica, and it is extremely rare. If it is the one in my book the rarity is to hard to price. Now there was another marble that resembles the one on display also and like duffy was very close to right. The marble is known as the Crackle glass marble, since back in the 1940's perfectly good marbles have been placed in ovens at home and heated to a high temperature. They are then taken out and sprinkled with cold water, causing them to crack in this manner. These are sometimes misten for Micas by new collectors. Average price is around 5 cents if you need more information on this look in Everett Grist's BIG BOOK of MARBLES OR CONTACT Bucky Zeleski. Hope i helped you and good luck.
    Terry Black as jokerwild.My e-mail is jokerwild1753@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Unregistered; 07-22-2007 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks - Terry - I have concluded that I have a Crackle-type 5-cents-er. It's been interesting to learn about all this!

Red micas are so rare that chances of this being one are extremely low, which is why 'fried' is far more likely.