How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

1" Beat-up Mibs. One has Lutz. Fix?

Here's a couple of nice size marbles that are old but in bad shape. Are they candidates for the polisher? Have you had experience with any of this type?
    The black and yellow cork is 15/16", the others are 1".
    The turquoise blue has Lutz swirls. The royal blue and white is also a cork. I don't know what the other two are. The multicolor even has a bit of metallic on the surface. I'm curious to know what they would look like polished.
    Nancy

Re: 1" Beat-up Mibs. One has Lutz. Fix?

Leroy, marblemender, does the best at this. His computer is down. Lizzy... do you have his phone number or address to pm ??
    Kris

Splattman does some fine polishing work too, he is also a member here. If they were mine, I would do it. Good luck!

Thanks folks. I have Leroy's info - just need to find out what is the largest size marbles these fellows work on. And what they would think of the job.
    Nancy

You will have to get with Leroy on that. He pioneered the marble restoration and no doubt works with large German Handmades as well as machinemades. These shouldn't be a problem for him.
    Kris

Thanks, Nadine and Kris.
    You'll see the results when I get these polished. I may just try a couple and see if I like them.
    Nancy

Almost done with marbles catfish's Avatar

The Lutz looks to have some fracturing, if so, it may not be as good a candidate as the others.

I agree that Leroy is the Man...

If it were mine I would be hesitant on the Lutz marble...As Catfish pointed out about the fractures, It maynot be a great candidate as the glass is often very "soft"...

Show some after pics when they're done...

S~

P.S......Thank you Nadine...:D

HI NANCY,
    SPLATTMAN is to modest as far as his talents go because there is more than the physical work preformed when it comes to reworking marbles. Steve has done excellent work for me but more important than the reworking he has done is the advise and decisions we have made together with his impute on what to do.of course that is just my opinion.
    DOUGLAS
    :welcome: THANKS FOR THE HELP SOMETIMES I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!
    OUTOFROUND

I can't speak for Splattmann's ability because I do not know of his work. I have sent marbles to Leroy and I was pleased with what he had to work with and the final results. Marblealan referred him to me two years ago. Since then Leroy has sold some of his machines. Hey, the more dependable marble restorers we have available to us, the better'
    Kris

Thank you for the compliments Douglas...

Kris, I sent a few to Leroy as well in the past and was more than pleased with the results, he does a quality job in a timely manner. I am the recipient of one of his machines and consider him my mentor. Leroy has the right machines to restore larger marbles while I'm limited to marbles 1 1/8" or smaller...

I am always available to help when needed, but certainly wouldn't take any business from Leroy as I have undying respect for his talent and friendship....

S~

Kris ,
    Have Heard Nothing And I Mean Nothing But Good Things About Leroy's Work And That Is All I Have To Go On As I Have Not Utilized His Expertise And Talents.your Right The More People That Learn This Art The Better Off We Collectors Will Be.
    Douglas
    :welcome: THANKS FOR THE HELP SOMETIMES I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!
    OUTOFROUND

Good to hear from you Splattman - that info on the marble size is what I need to know. You'll be hearing from me.
    My husband collects hand-made marbles and Leroy has done some great work for him. I prefer the machine-made and I'm more of a dealer than a collector. LOL We're fortunate that we have so many good people in this hobby.
    Nancy

LOL! I think Leroy is delighted that he can depend on others to lighten his work load/demand, which is why he personally taught one guy (can't remember his name) and went on Lou's board to introduce him. I have a few around here that need a little help. Steve, please send me your addy and price list.

Howdy,
    I have my computer up and running again and I hope it will hang with me for awhile as yet. It's an iMac OS X and has served me well. I purchased it in Jan, 2000.
    I want to thank all you wonderful folks for the kind remarks which made my day.
    Several years ago I began searching for ways to repair some of my prise marbles and to make a long story short I found a man by the name of Ed Junker (R.I.P.) He was a wonderful man and taught me the marble reconditioning system. He made my machines for me and taught me how to use them. I have 5 small machines that will handle marbles from very, very small (1/8") all the way up to 1 1/2". Than I have one machine that will handle sizes all the way up to 3 1/2" and larger.
    A few years ago I began wondering what would happen if I suddenly could no longer recondition marbles and I didn't like my thoughts. I than posted all the instructions on one of the marble chat boards about how to construct a marble reconditioning machine. Several people did just that. I visited with them via the telephone and e-mails on the operation of the machines.
    Than my mentor passed away and I sold some of his machines for his wife by posting that they were available on the marbles boards. All sold very quickly. I have been able over the past few years to shuffle some of the machines around from one person to another. I believe that there are several people reconditioning marble, but not very many are doing if custom (for other people) wise. I am still spending lots of time working on peoples marbles.
    There are a few other things that I want to say, but this post is long enough and I'll close for now saying that soon I'll post the other half. :icon_wink
    Again, thanks folks for all the kind remarks. ----Leroy----