How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
    Play and collect marbles marbles333's Avatar

Smile Marbles- WHICH GAME DO YOU PLAY

:laughing- there are so many different games to play with marbles-ring taw, 9 holes and more!!! what games do you play? (i play ring taw)!

Re: Marbles- WHICH GAME DO YOU PLAY

Hey Marbles333. Welcome to the board. I mainly collect old marbles, but I have been trying to learn to shoot for the past week or so. I try a few times each day, but I can't hit much. I can get good back spin sometimes, but they sure are small targets. Any tips on aiming?

-Dave

About aiming- i think it's better not to try to hard when your aiming, in other words, stay relaxed!!! If your try to hard, you have more of a chance of missing!! don't close one eye when you aim! instead of getting close to the ground try looking down at the circle and draw an imaginary line with your eyes from your shooter to the marble you want to hit!!! if it looks like it will hit the marble then shoot!!! It takes a littel practice to learn how to shoot!!! Lastly, try aiming from different angles and see what works better for you!!! hope this helps!!!

Thanks! It sure is fun.

-Dave

Hey "marbles"

Most of the users here are marble collectors, but I added this forum ("the playground") for visitors who may play marbles - most of the marbles I sell are to people who are using them for play, not collecting...

Can you tell us where you are from? If you know other players, spread the word about this forum! I don't know of another that is about playing marbles, I think this might be the only one...I would love to read some posts about play techniques and games and stuff...

Do you collect marbles too, or just play?

Hi Pete!
    I collect and play!!! some marbles that i find very special i keep for my collection!!! all the other marbles that i own i play marbles with!!! I will definatly spread the word about this forum!!! I have already told a lot of my friends who play marbles about this website!! Maybe they will join!!!
    Last edited by marbles333; 09-08-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Because I wanted to write a little more

What makes a marble special to you, so that you'd collect it instead of play with it? Do you not want them to get scratched or damaged? Or are you afraid to lose them if you play for keeps? I'm working on adding some cheaper collectible marbles to my site, so I have something for more people - cheap to expensive...

A marble is special to me when it is unique and looks different then the rest, or if i only have one of it!!! i don't want to play with marbles like that because of both the reasons you said!!! I don't want them to get skratched and, if i were to play keeps, although I never have, i would not want to lose them!!! That's a good idea to add cheaper collectables!!! i love the marbles on your site!!!!

Thanks...I'm curious, because I am looking for marbles that are collectible because they were made in limited runs - not a lot of them were made, and oftentimes, they were never even sold to the general public. So I want to get things that would also be attractive to beginning collectors. How long have you collected too? Do you try to get older marbles too? Or do you collect new marbles?

I have been collecting since around the year 2000. maybe a little after. I have a few older marbles but most of mine our new!!! I consider older marbles special, so i keep those in my collecation!!! the ones that i have had for about a year or so, i play marbles with!!! the ones that i have that are brand new, i usuall wait a while before i play with those!!! Hope you found this information useful!!!

My kids and I play in our upstairs hallway, because the Dog with the Instatiable Appetite rules the downstairs.

Anyway, we play a miniature version of ringer (the printed cloth marble mat is as wide as the hall). We also play a game called "miss-me" (my name for it, I am sure it was invented by many other folks, but I haven't heard it called by any other name. Here are the rules.

The person with the most marbles throws one target marble out. All players start with 10 marbles. In turn, from youngest to oldest, each player tries to hit any target marble with their marble. Marbles can be shot or thrown in any manner. If you hit one or more target marbles with your thrown marbles, you pick up your marble plus any you hit. Otherwise the marble you threw becomes a new target marble. The game ends when any player runs out of marbles. When the game ends, all remaining target marbles are picked up and formed into a pool. Players take turns selecting a marble from the pool to keep, starting with the player who ran out of marbles, then the player with next least, etc. This helps ensure no one walks away empty-handed.

What was the question? Oh, we play for keeps, but with veyr liberal trade-back policies. If the kids want back a marble I won from them, I always trade back.

John

i play on the pool table...with my pool buddys.....they thought i was nutts when i frist brought it up but ended up having a blast.....of course we had to find a way to bet on it.....
    A bird does not sing because he has an answer, he sings because he has a song.

Great concept teach101 to put it above floor level, my knees pop every time I get up which isn't as easy as it used to be! Lol