How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Intrepid Cat's Eye Hunter tnbar's Avatar

Just need a general opinion

on these 2 pics. They are the same marble in the same position. 1 gray background 1 black. Which one is better. Just playng with some different methods.
    Thanks
    Terry:

Re: Just need a general opinion

i like the second one, details seem sharper/clearer.
    Your guys and gals ROCK!!

D

Well the black for sure shows the actual glass a lot better. It would show seedy, orange peeled, or hard to see seams in the transparent glass better.

The gray background looks very good and the black shows up the interior. Either way, I think you've got a winner! I'm having major difficulty myself getting close ups. Must take a ton of trial and error, trial and error, and trial and error. Unfortunately, right now I've got more error than anything else but I do think YOU are getting it. Lessons available?

Barb, Yes alot of trial and error. I cant even begin to say how many pics I have deleted. I will take 20 pics of one marble just to get 1 that I was happy with. It has taken awhile, But you must remember that the final pic quality is only as good as your camera. Many people just cant get good closeup pic with the camera they have and then they get discouraged. With marbles you must do alot of trial and error. In time it will get better and better. Just keep trying and remember it could be far worse. We could all be using film yuck. Thanks for the replies.
    Thanks
    Terry:

terry i like both....which one shows the true colors

Teach, ? Never thought of that aspect DUH. I will check, Both pics show that it is purple and the purple is not really that different in the pics or at least from my monitor it is.
    Thanks
    Terry:

Good pics but I think with white in the marble, the lighter background might cause the picture to loose some of the white borders, etc. Obviously it depends on the shade of white/gray.

Almost done with marbles catfish's Avatar

The marble has way less reflections on the grey background picture. Heres my honest opinion Terry...I don't like either one. The black one would be better for that marble, but there is way too much light reflecting on the surface. Same light sorce in both pics?

Hi Terry,
    Strangely I have compared the same two background colors trying to photograph this exact marble. I think the black is the deal. For one thing, you can see the white. For another, the "mahogany" color is more true to life in the black, and looks more black in front of the gray.
    Interesting seeing your results...
    -Taunya
    Best Wishes,
    Taunya, http://www.RoundMountainMarbles.com

Always go the oposite shade/color of what the marble is to contrast the subject if you are not photo shopping the pic. A lot depends on the ability of the camera to focus. I am getting a new camera any day.. a Canon G 9 and I am very anxious to see what can be done with it.
    Kris

Kris, you mention photo shopping. I recently found an inexpensive program called Fast Photo, designed for eBay users. It is also great for very quick but thorough processing of photo's for discussion posting. Has all the basics. I've wanted to share this with other collectors...

A thought on black backgrounds for photography -- I think a goal is to eliminate light coming from anywhere other than selected light sources. The reason for that is that the light from other sources often contains images that get reflected from the surface of the glass marble.

I have tried doing this with polarizers and water over the years, but have not been able to deal with the amount of light reduction you get with polarization, or perhaps I should say the light plane reduction. It also affects what shows on the surface, which we want optimized for marbles of course.

A great way to look at marbles is at night with a powerful flashlight. I have a table on my back porch that almost always has some marbles on it, and we love to sit out there in starlight and look at marbles. Great in sunlight too of course, but at night, all you see is the marble--there are no reflections.
    Best Wishes,
    Taunya, http://www.RoundMountainMarbles.com

Thanks so much for the honest opinions on this subject. I am thinking I might try some different colored backgrounds just out of curiosity.

Derrick, The light source is the same for both pics.
    Thanks
    Terry:

Great advice Taunya! I know some collectors like to use normal daylight to capture the *correct* color of the marble and also lessen the glare/reflections from the camera flash. I think much hinges what camera you are using, it's capabilities or limitations. Some collectors can't afford a higher end/better digital camera that is over 4 megapixels. There are free photo programs on the 'net to download for editing and resizing. with the camera that I had been using, I had issues with shades of red, blues and purples on the marbles showing true color in the pics. My Canon G9 just arrived and the battery is charging. I can't wait to see what it can do. It has some(LOL-MANY) features that attracted me to it and turns out, it uses the sme batteries as the RebelXT and the same cards that I have been using. So, now I have three batteries and two wall chargers.
    Kris

You can also do yourself a favor by reading your instruction manual and make yourself learn to use your camera with the manual settings instead of relying on the automatic feature to do your thinking for you. When you get a feel for the manual settings it's really easy to tweak it to get a certain effect to capture a certain look of a particular marble.