How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Sparklers Anyone here ya go.

yeah of the ones i started trying to id on here the masters are my favorite.....like the alleys too ....i guess its to each his own

I really wish I had the money to throw down on those. I absolutely love sparklers
    Mike

"To give anything less than your best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" -Steve Prefontaine

I love and collect Sparklers too. They are very old machinemades, top quality glass, super design and very attractive looking marbles. Kids must have loved those. There needs to be more study on timelines for earlier versus later Sparklers.
    Sami

This thread needs some eye candy:

Intrepid Cat's Eye Hunter tnbar's Avatar

The sound you all are hearing is my jaw dropping to the desktop. Very nice Alan are they yours??
    Thanks
    Terry:

no kidding.....very nice

W O W Z E R S ~r
    Last edited by Roger; 11-06-2007 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tnbar View Post
    The sound you all are hearing is my jaw dropping to the desktop. Very nice Alan are they yours??
    They are mine. Funny thing is that they were purchased as single group - the remainder of a moldy 100 count stock box found in an attic. When I received them it was the first time they had been out of the original stock box.

I won this lot...I know a lot must not really be sparklers, but I've bought several marbles from this guy, and he is very, very agreeable about returning misid'd stuff. I ID'd a lot of what he has, so maybe it's just a personal favor.

Anyway, Sparklers are my latest fancy, and I've paid over $100 pretty much for every mint definately-a-sparkler I've bought lately. He said 75% were mint, so I bid accordingly, taking into consideration how high the market value seems to have gone - book value is no where near what I've actually had to pay to score nice ones lately.

I'll call the seller out on any are mis-ID'd, and if 75% of the true sparklers are not mint, I'll call him on that too. I recently bought "dealer lots" of so-called mint slags from him too, and some were not mint, and he refunded me for those too.

So I'm not as crazy as it may seem (I hope!)

And Alan, you make my mouth water - exactly where I'm trying to get. These marbles make a grown man cry!

BTW, I have original Akro advertising for Sparklers (well, a copy of an original). It says:

Akro "Sparklers" - New and different, sure to make friends among boys who like to be "up to the minute." Clear glass, with semi-opaque stripe of Dalft Blue Topaz, Claret, Apple Green or Russet Yellow. Made in Nos. 0, 1 and 2.

(0, 1 and 2 are 5/8", 11/16" and 3/4" respectively)

No pic though - so even straight from the horses mouth doesn't quite measure up to the Sparklers we know. It says "stripe," not "stripes" and no mention of white, or even 5 colors - just 4. "Claret" is a dark purplish-red color. 95% of what I see people hoping are Sparklers are sunbursts. They can be nice too, on occasion, but I have never seen one that could hold a candle to the average Sparkler. When you have a sparkler, you *know* it. If you're not sure, I'd bet dollars to donuts it's a sunburst...
    Last edited by Pete; 11-07-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Sounds like hopefully you got a great deal... around 24.00 each... I hope you get some real beauties and I'm sure we will be seeing some pics soon....
    Congrats,Joe

Having another look at Alan's pic in light of my advertising, I'd say a "normal" Sparkler is a clear-based marble with 5 colors, the colors being white, and all 4 mentioned in the vintage advertising (simultaneously, not with 1 stirpe, as the advertising implies) . Any additional colors one thinks one sees is probably blending, and there is a lot of blending sometimes, but I like the one with nice prominent stripes with not so much blending.

Book value for Mint is $45, Near Mint is $25 (44.44% of Mint). So let's see...24 marbles for $565.55. 75% (18) are said to be mint, 6 are said to be NM. To figure what I paid per marble is 18x + 6(.4444x) = $565.55 zippy dee do dah, and we get x= $27.40 (And we thought we'd never need algebra!)

So I paid $27.40 per Mint marble, and $12.06 for the NM - by the book, not a bad price at all, but considering what I've actually had to pay to get them, it a steal. Factor in that I have full faith in this seller to do right by me, and I'm not so crazy - If 18 are Mint, and 6 NM, I expect he'll refund $27.40 each for Mint non-sparklers, and refund $12.06 each for NM non-sparklers, so I won't be left paying for the mis-ID'd stuff. If the M:NM ratio isn't really 75:25, I'm sure he will agree to adjust things accordingly.

Let's just hope the Mint ones are the real Sparklers!

WOW!!!... You really got that one down to the dime... Sounds like it was a great deal... Hope you enjoy them..

what are the sizes that sparklers come in?
    RJ:pinkelefa

As per my vintage advertising, they were made in Akro's Nos. 0, 1 and 2sizes. (0, 1 and 2 are 5/8", 11/16" and 3/4" respectively).

I don't have a 3/4" sparkler, boy, I'd love that, but judging by the market rate for 5/8" they'd have to be probably about a $300 marble

That's what I was wondering about the larger sizes. My mind was drifting when Alan's post came up and my eyes glazed and wondered how big they get. I want to own a sparkler!
    RJ:pinkelefa