How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: Sparklers Anyone here ya go.

Kris ~~ Obviously I don't have it in hand, but from the pics I feel pretty comfortable saying that it's a sunburst.

John

akro did make those types.... while the construction is more master, the red base screams akro, imho, I have had a few, sold one one in vegas...

Dani ~~ Are you saying that that is a red-based sparkler?

I would say it is akro, the construction is a little different than the well known clear base sparklers, but the ones I have came from akro, and they look very very similar to this one, and if it came from a dig, I'd have to go along with it being akro. did you get to see the one I sold in vegas John??

John, honest Injun, if you had this one in hand you would call it as Akro. I'll try to get a shot of it out in the natural light. You can't even imagine how the red distorts what's goin' on inside this one. If it were clear glass it would be IDed as a sparkler hands down. And, as a sidenote, if it IS Master, it is absolutley the nicest one I've ever held in my hand.

on pictures? try uplighting it and snap a shot. they're incredibly difficult to capture. I still say it's an akro. (imho)

Ok John, here are a couple of better pics that kind of show the individual coloring of the stranding inside, aided with some backlighting to cut through the red. You just have to look at this and visualize what you're seeing without the red tint. I'll tell you what, if Master did make this one, they should have made more of 'em, cause I've never seen a Master like this one.....Jim

hmmmmmmm.............

........... okay, now that I see the pics (the ones you've just posted Jim) I can see it better and I can see the way the ribbons are made and those ribbons are not Master. In fact they look very similar to the ribbons on my avatar. And Ms. Dani, howcome I didn't see this in Vegas???? LOL

So what are we calling this "a red-based Akro that is dug but really special no matter what you call it non-sparkler"?

John

(btw Jim, very good pics)

Thanks John, this one is a nightmare to photograph. That red base just wont let the colors through. The blues and orange look brownish and almost nonexistant in the pics, but in hand, in good light, you can clearly see all the right "sparkler" colors (5 or 6).

As to the name you gave it, I almost wet my pants laughin'! In the marble world as we know it, this thing doesn't exist. I think in honor of that, it would be only appropriate for Galen to officially name it. LOL.

Jim, I do believe that this is the 3rd time in a matter of minutes that I have had to congratulate you on a great find. Holy Cow man, that marble is beautiful.
    Mike

"To give anything less than your best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" -Steve Prefontaine

Thanks Mike, I have been on a roll lately. Here's a couple more pics of the red based one next to a sparkler that I have that is very similar in coloring and structure.

I believe rules are out the window when it comes to dug marbles. If browndog says it was dug then we haven't seen the last of these. IMHO Pretty cool!

Almost done with marbles catfish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    I believe rules are out the window when it comes to dug marbles. If browndog says it was dug then we haven't seen the last of these. IMHO Pretty cool!
    One of the greats and evils of digging....

Nadine, there is a love/hate relationship with dug marbles. Supposedly, from my source of these, they were dug around 20 years ago, and he has had them stored away for years and just started selling some of them. It is quite possible that more of these will surface. I'm sure he didn't know this one was in the batch that I purchased from him. It cost me less than a trip to Burger King.

I guess we will see how much love/hate there is for this stuff out there since I will be listing it on Ebay soon. I have had a few generous offers for it already, but I really have no idea of it's value, so I will let Ebay sort it out. Should be an interesting auction, to say the least.