How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paperweights      Share

Paperweights

I have 2 one is a gibson and one is a tiara exclusive. The Gibson looks like it says 1935 but I've been told it's 1985. Any idea of real age and value?
    thanks!
    Rhonda

Re: Paperweights

Unless there is an older 'Gibson', the one we 'know' that does paperweights and marbles is still around and did paperweights, etc. in the 80's, so it is probably 1985.

Absolutely looks like 1935 to me, maybe a stock # or something ...The 1985 timeline sounds much more applicable to me too....

Is that going on Ebay Rhonda?

If so, expect a bid:smash: or 2 from me, I'm really into Gibson lately....

S~

This may be a silly question, but do you think the current Gibson could have learned his art from Dad or even Grandpa? -Ric

OH MY, now a new addiction if I am not careful!!!
    RJ:pinkelefa

Sorry guys - I was busy and didn't get a chance to get back to this. All Gibson paperweights I've ever seen have a date on them not a stock number. It is 1935 without a doubt so the only thing I can come up with is that they grabbed the wrong number when they punched it or it was from an earlier generation. I did get it from an "estate sale" but I won't be mentioning it in the (yes Steve it is going to the Bay) auction.

Any ideas about the other one? Generic paperweight?
    Thanks a bunch!
    Rhonda

Nice paperweights, Rhonda. Paperweights and marbles just seem to go together, don't they? Guess it the "round" thing or the "glass" thing! LOL Is it true that Gibson is now out of business? I heard that Mr Gibson died in the past year and the company was giving it up. The defunct company thing may just be a rumor. Does anyone know? I love the sulphides they made. Whimsical! Let us know when you put the weight on the Bay.

Forgive the insanity but I looked up Gibson and found the answer to my own question! :icon_eek: Here's the scoop according to cyberspace.

The Gibson Glass Company officially closed it's doors on 15 July 2006. Charles Gibson opened the doors of his contemporary art glass company from June 1976 to June 1977. He then closed the doors to resume his calling as an ordained minister. Mr. Gibson reopened his company in 1983 and remained in business in Milton, W. Virginia until July 2006.

Thanks Barb! I had already found that info though and it still didn't answer my 1935 stamp question and I thought I was going nutty. That is positively a 3 and not an 8 on the bottom so I just don't know........
    Rhonda

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    Thanks Barb! I had already found that info though and it still didn't answer my 1935 stamp question and I thought I was going nutty. That is positively a 3 and not an 8 on the bottom so I just don't know........
    Rhonda
    My take on paperweights with dates is that you should be able to rely on some competence where hot glass and makers come together. Nobody grabbed the wrong punch. If it says 1935 then it is 1935. I used to watch Joe Sinclair make paperweights and my mom says she used to watch 'Pop' Sinclair light his smokes off the hot glass! I never saw any joking around and it amazed me that they were paying so much attention to their work that our Boy Scout group went almost un-noticed one day. Just a quick glance up and a quick smile! I'll never forget that part. However since Gibson is a contemporary maker, I think we MUST be seeing an 8 and not a 3. IMHO ~R
    Last edited by Roger; 11-19-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

That is not a 1935 made Paperweight. Your Idea they meant to use an 8 but grabbed a 3 sounds perfect.. Peace,Galen
    Last edited by lstmmrbls; 11-19-2007 at 08:45 PM.

OK, I have to admit that anything is possible, but it just makes more sense to me that the four date punches were already laid out for that year to save time. Having said that, I think it might be more likely that it was mis-punched. I see it a lot on silver makers punches. Sometimes they have a double-punch but more often you only get fragments of the letter or number if the punch was held slightly sideways. Now if it was an accidental three then you could and should emphasize this at feebay. An oddity always brings more moola! IMHO ~R

It is listed with the mistake or not mentioned. Grabbing the wrong punch can be the only way this could have happened. See the middle of the '3' there's a grove there and the top and bottom are rounded so it's positively a 3 and not an 8 that was held sideways. Thanks for all your input and if you see something wrong with the way I worded the auction by all means yell at me so I can fix it LOL!
    Rhonda