How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Almost done with marbles catfish's Avatar

Re: A veerrrrryyy SPECIAL Jabo

[QUOTE=bermar;95647] CAC's'', NLR's, and Oxbloods are still my favoritesQUOTE]

That makes 2 of us!!!!!!!!!!!

Derrick

I've never really understood the use of the term "transitional " to describe a hand gathered machine rounded marble... a transition from what to what?
    Not that it matters that I give a horse's patootie, it's a well established and accepted term used by collectors everywhere, so I can live with it.

Meaning the process that happens when adding different colors, one at a time and the changes that occur form one point
    so now the term is used in this format?
    next up on ebay... Akro Agate Tranny Popeye (16 colors counting blends and the white)
    there's my 2 cent summation

charter member of NHA
    Buddy
    Still posting thanks to a lengthy appeals process

Hey Buddy,
    I know I didn't invent the use of the "T" word for a machine-made marble, but since it was my marble that was being discussed, I suspended the use of the "t" word for the reason you have described. I agree with you.
    Here's what I think I have discovered. This marble was produced in very short supply between two different customary batches of Classic marbles. This marble is distinctively different than anything in the previous batch and from anything in the following batch. To my knowledge this marble is not related to a transition from or to anything else.
    After speaking with the others related to this discussion, I have discovered that the "t" word was not meant to relate this marble to any transitional marble in the historic sense of the word. Hope this helps.
    It's a great hobby, have fun.
    Burt

p.s. my wife just said, "I hope you know what you are talking about" and I said, "None of us really do, we just say what we think we know."

Hey Burt, Ive always been confused by the "T" word too....I thought "transitional marbles" meant marbles that were produced between totally handmade marbles and totally machine made marbles....

-Handgathered marbles that were hand cut away with shears after they were gathered on a punty had to be rounded out some way (before the tumble rollers were patended)........

-Then there were gob fed marbles that dropped glass (without the use of hand cutting) into the rollers type marble (totally machine made).......

My question: Is the term "transitionals" coined for marbles that no longer had to be cut by hand or for marbles that were now being rounded by tumble rollers?
    or am I way off here?
    -Chuck Jr.

Hey Chuck Jr.
    I have always assumed the "t" word would fit between your two above definitions. Any marble that had indications of both aspects (handmade and machinemade) in its production.
    Now, we can wait for those who can give more explicit detail to this topic.
    Being of limited knowledge, I defer to the others.
    Block's book says, "early machine-made marbles that were made partly by hand and partly by machine". (i.d. and price guide, 4th edition.)
    Burt

Truth be known...I am not all that familiar with Transitional marbles and had NO INKLING that I would set some of you in a dither using the adjective *transitional* to clarify what happens when different colors added during a run. I know several of you already knew this, and understand the process waaaayy better than I, but there are some newbies who don't and thought they might find it interesting that some Jabo sellers are listing *t* groups on ebay. ENOUGH with the *T* word in this thread.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    that I would set some of you in a dither..
    I've never heard of that, but it sounds like it would hurt. When you set em down in a dither, do you strap em in or summat?
    Pics?

LOL
    seriously though, I was looking at an article in my morning contitutional reading room that explained.. a marble that was made during a colour (canookian spelling) change and received multiple colors from the previous run and the following run is called "hybrid "
    I've also heard popeyes with more than 2 colors being called hybrids.
    same goes for cat's eyes too, but I think they were intentional .
    of course thats all gossip and hearsay, so you didnt hear it from me
    Buddy

I am NOT even going there .....comparing to Popeyes. LOL. I just know that at Jabo they will add different colors during the production to change up the run. The BIG DIFFERENCE here is that we can only guess what happened at Akro and other plants. Jabo is current (hopefully) and we can validate what goes on....like the Budweiser beer can? I was sent a pic last night that proves it really did happen.
    Kris
    Last edited by kris7047th; 01-16-2008 at 04:41 AM.

Oops, I was only in a dither for a minute, honest! Lol

a dither about the "t" word and a dather about the "name" game. We mib people are an interesting lot!

Quote Originally Posted by RJ-new2marbles View Post
    We mib people are an interesting lot!
    pure entertainment....This thread delivers
    Buddy

Yep! LOL!!
    Kris

And I hope all realize that sometimes I use a spoon or stick to get or keep things going at times. Yes, I can be a sh** stirrer with a poke stick when I see a chance for an active thread. And hopefully no one takes it personal when I use them. Peace,Galen is always in transition

Quote Originally Posted by lstmmrbls View Post
    sometimes I use a spoon or stick to get or keep things going at times. Yes, I can be a sh** stirrer with a poke stick....
    You are not going to trick me into posting in this thread again.
    Buddy

Thanks for that Buddy. I was waitin' to see what kind of visual you were gonna' come up with to demonstrate Galen's tecnique.