How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
    Almost done with marbles catfish's Avatar

Constructive criticism needed....

Here are some pics taken with the new Canon Rebel XTi. I am having slight focusing problems. Just barely learning, as I had no idea what aperature and F-stops were....LOL. What a headache. I can take great pics of scenery and of larger things, but macro shots are killing me. Please critic these photos and if you have any pointers, I'm all ears. Thanks folks.

Derrick

P.S. I took pictures of a guinea with some unmelted sand. Can you see it well?

Re: Constructive criticism needed....

I can catch every bump and bubble in the glass, things just are not quite focused. I'm taking these pics about 18 inches from the mib....perhaps I need to try and get closer. Not sure if I can with my current lenses though. For those using this type camera, what do you set your white balance to? Auto? Also, I do not have a ring flash, they sent the wrong one for this camera and I am hoping to have that rectified soon. These were taken with different lighting setups. I even built a light box, but not much luck there.

I'm in the same boat, I think my main issue is lighting. You look like you have the lighting down pat. Just curious, how's the color?

I have noticed I have to adjust the white balance differently depending on the color, again probably just a lighting issue.

Also, are you using a macro lens or just the macro settings? If you are using a macro lens, I don't believe you want to have the camera set to macro, But there may be a setting within the options for the lens you are using.

Also I haven't had much luck with auto settings due to the camera not really knowing what I want it to concentrate on as far as a light source.

I get as close as I can, I think even with a large mp format that once you crop it tends to get kinda blurry, so try not to zoom and just get close. I'm usually around 3.5" to 5" from the marble.

There are so many issues to deal with in taking good pic. We need an expert to give us a tutorial! hehhe

Here is a hi res from about 5 inches. My main issue is reflection. I thinnk I need a backdrop behind me, and a smaller but more powerful light source.

Keeping as much marble in the picture window is going to be better, because you lose clarity and the image pixelates when you crop. Did that sound right?

I used a cat

I think your right on the cusp so to speak.
    "Aren't the 'good things that come to those who wait' just the leftovers from the people that got there first?"

You know my issue could just be I don't have any good marbles to take pictures of! hhahha. Even that cat hires turns out funny over the net. although as an after thought, You will be better off using a Macro lens than the macro function of the camera.

And I really just think it has to do with lighting and the way the camera processes the lighting. It causes so many variables to be thrown off.
    "Aren't the 'good things that come to those who wait' just the leftovers from the people that got there first?"

Good points. Heres my settings. I use full manual mode. 17-70mm Macro lens (Sigma) 2.8-4.5. The top pics were taken with the lens zoomed out to 70 mm because I was getting reflections up close. I let the camera do an auto white balance.

These pics were taken about 6-8inches away with the same lens set at 17mm. Camera on full manual mode. Camera settings ranged from 1/15 to 1/60 with a 4.5 to 5.0 F-stop. Am I close to using the proper settings. I think I read that if you keep your F-stop low, you get better depth of field???

I can get the color near perfect. These pics are all unaltered. These last pics obviously have direct lighting (unfiltered). Large reflections. I still seem to have a focusing problem. Anyone think the slight blur is from the cropping? The pics are not getting enlarged though. They start out huge (somewhere around 3K x 3K) and are cropped dowm to around 400x400.

Your cat picture is very good!

with the speed your taking your pictures at, the slight blur is from the short Depth of field ... I shoot all my picture in AV mode.. at F22 This will lenghten your exposure time for 1-2-3 seconds depending on lighting..
    That will get more of the picture in focus..
    For this you need to use the timer and I use Mirror lockup... I think your camera has that????
    Just a few things to try...
    Joe

Check out this also. Great points.

I love wikipedia

The issue I see with (me anyways) is the center of the mib is focused and the outer edges seem blurry.

Cool link, Thanks! I'll be practicing all day! LOL

Cornfusing to say the least.

I'm going to try and absorb some of it tonight also. I really need to figure out the lighting thing. *Justme* creates a new thread.