How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is it?      Share

Re: What is it?

Here are a couple cobras from Kokoken. Peace,Galen

I only joined your group a few days ago. A couple days ago someone got on and bad mouthed you all, but I personally feel embraced with every single honest response and think you're a great bunch. Love the "funnies".

Galen: The colors don't bleed - it's the photography. As for the size - a 15/16" Guinea has been found, so there could be a Cobra out there that's 15/16's". I wouldn't rule it out.

Browndog: I would like to see your cat that looks like this marble. I too have cats that resemble it - but that's just what they are - cats.

Catfish: The colors in the photo on pg 109 of Grist's Big Book 1993 by Les don't appear to be all that opaque to me. Same with pg 91 of Block's Marble mania 1998 center/bottom marble. Yes you can see through some of the color, but there is also some hard core solid color (center). The colors are identical to the Guinea colors. The bubbles are present and the clear glass has that "old look". Looks wet mint, but under magnification - it has age.

Gracie: One thing it's not, is a catseye. It's hand gathered with an imperfection twisted in the glass itself with a melted pontil. One end has been clearly worked with a tool that has made the Cobra tower over. If you held it, you would have no choice but to agree.

There's a Guinea Hybrid, and a Guinea/Cobra Hybrid. Maybe this is a Cobra Hybrid or experimental. Guess I'll have to take it to a show and let someone else examine it.
    There is a definite Cobra rearing it's puffed head (not just some thing that looks like a tail) and when you turn it, it does become a Cyclone, which is much more than what I've seen in all other photos of Cobra/Cyclones.
    It's just near impossible to get a true photo of this marble. Shine a light through it and it comes alive in an undescribable unique brilliance and is strikingly gorgeous.

and Justme: It still wouldn't be a dud if it weren't a Cobra!

Hopefully these photos help a little, but I can photograph this thing all day and have it look like an entirely different marble each time.

Do you have a Vitro Casteye to compare it to and maybe take a picture of side by side? It still looks like one to me, especially in the last shot.
    Rhonda

. . . Vitro catseyes were hand gathered? . . .

Hey ORB, for what its worth...I see some charcoal blue or light blue in pic#4....NOT a color combo that I've seen on cats.....If it was a twisted cat I would say Gladding Vitro....they made some big boys with the same "root beerish"color edged in dark...

I cant see the hand-gathered characteristic in your pics...Try taking the pics against a black background....you will find that marbles with clear in them against a dark background bring out good contrast....

Side note:
    To illustrate how clear marbles show good contrast against a dark background, take a look at this twisted catseye (has cobra and cyclone characteristics too)......
    Attachment 47836Attachment 47837
    Attachment 47838Attachment 47839

Attachment 47840
    -Chuck Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Orb View Post
    It still wouldn't be a dud if it weren't a Cobra!
    I didn't mean offence, I'm not a big cat person. They can be very very cool.

AND

Welcome Aboard!

Dan
    "Aren't the 'good things that come to those who wait' just the leftovers from the people that got there first?"

Orb, I have sold off any cats that resemble this marble in question. This is not intended as a debate on my behalf. I truly believe that this mib must be seen in hand to be appreciated. Some mibs are impossible to capture in a pic, and often leave out the little details that are needed to come up with a positive ID. Now here's a link to a thread about a vitro shooter cat that has at least some similarity to this marble. Just imagine if this one took some more misguided twists and turns. Can you see a little similarity?
    http://www.landofmarbles.com/phpbb/s...ight=horseshoe

Almost done with marbles catfish's Avatar

FWIW, if your marble is handgathered, then you yourself have eliminated guinea/cyclone or cyclone. These marbles were not handgathered and should have no type of pontil at all. Should be a single or double seam MACHINE made marble. IMHO. Please do not take anything the wrong way. We are not bashing on you, just giving our opinions on a marble.....LOL. Welcome aboard.

Derrick

Orb, I'm still wondering if your marble might be a Vacor Atmosphere, which is a handmade marble if I understand correctly.

Some, not most, but some of the pix I've seen of Atmospheres come close to yours ... and there's an incredible variety among them.

IF it's a cat ... it could be a contender for my favorite cat in the world (not counting the fuzzy ones giving me the pouty look right now).

I have to admit Browndog's marble does look an awful lot like mine. Maybe Gracie is going to make me eat my mibs . . . and Catfish - I don't feel like I'm taking a bashing at all. I'm learning a lot and loving every moment.
    Thank you all

Glad your a good sport! I am amazed at the patients the folks here have and anyone that questions authority in a civilized manner has always been accommodated.
    "Aren't the 'good things that come to those who wait' just the leftovers from the people that got there first?"

The last set of pictures reallly gave me a better look at the color. And the more I look at it, the more I think that is looks like a very unique Vitro Hybrid Cat. I could be wrong being that I do not have the marble in hand to look at it more closely. Although whatever it is, it is very cool.
    Mike

"To give anything less than your best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" -Steve Prefontaine

A Cat like that at that size has definite value. Where in Mich are you from Orb? Eventually, we plan on setting up a meeting for the first time for everyone from Mich and whatever States would like to participate.
    Kris

I still think its a Vacor Mega Atmosphere which is a handmade 1988 (or thereabouts). HTF maybe VHTF.

I am glad you realize these are just our opinions of a marble shown in pictures. The transparancy of much of the color inside your marble is also much more indicative of a Vitro twisted up horseshoe cateye than a CAC marble. Peace,Galen