How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New JABO Book???      Share

New JABO Book???

Has anyone seen this auction yet?

Something strange about it to me.....It doesn't seem to have any Table of contents or publishers name in the auction....Just asking without trying to cause a riot on LOM.

It seems awfully high priced ..Is it just me?

It has a date of 2-3-08 1 of 50 on the inside cover????

Got's me scratchin'

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

S~
    Last edited by Splattman; 02-05-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Re: New JABO Book???

A homemade spiral bound book about Jabo for $300????

First edition. Pre-first edition, I guess it might be said.

I guess my question should've been if this is really a "book" or just someone trying to cash-in early on an up-and-coming thing???

Curious to see what the marble minds say

S~

I think Alan hit it pretty close to mark

S~

New Book is in the WORKS.........WILL BE THE REAL DEAL !

First edition............??????

RAR
    Rick A. Robbins

Very hasty IMHO. The $300 BIN really bothers me when there is no table of contents, no publisher even listed (transcript has to be accepted to become a book) I do know that Jim King is working on a Jabo book, and began it before the Sistersville show last Fall. But,.. he is taking his time and don't expect to see it for nearly two years. It will be well worth the wait, will be a good read with history, insides *scoops* of the people at Jabo, the Jabo marbles and photos. And the plastic binder? For this price, it should be bound in leather and trimmed in gold.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by RR1961 View Post
    New Book is in the WORKS.........WILL BE THE REAL DEAL !

First edition............??????

RAR
    I dunno Rick......If it is a 1st edition it is truely a treasure, but me don't think this is the real deal first edition, just someone trying to cash-in early on the up-N-coming..........

I'm steering clear....

S~

An authors working copy could easily be considered a collectible item for those who would value it. I don't happen to be one of them but that doesn't take away it's marketability. For me, I'll wait for the published book.

Curiouser and Curiouser. Did I not see "1 of 50 - GSS" as an inscription? If they had 50 copies printed, does that not make a book?
    I doubt they would have any trouble selling the other 49 if they weren't over-priced.
    Nancy

Anyone can have nice picture books made up by many printers. Shutterfly will even do a 50 page hardbound for around 50 bucks. The spiral bounds cost 15 -50 depending on size.With very good quality printing. That may be what the authors did. looks like a Jabo book is on the way. Peace,Galen

Quote Originally Posted by lstmmrbls View Post
    Anyone can have nice picture books made up by many printers. Shutterfly will even do a 50 page hardbound for around 50 bucks. The spiral bounds cost 15 -50 depending on size.With very good quality printing. That may be what the authors did. looks like a Jabo book is on the way. Peace,Galen

Galen: Most anyone can do spiral binding at the average office for free in 60 seconds or less. The cost of the spine is maybe 20 cents.

This is not part of the debate, however, I am anxious to see a quality Jabo publication. The more I study these marbles, the more convinced I am that Jabos will some day be recognized among other highly collectible marbles. An authorized book will move that process along. IMHO.
    Burt

Intrepid Cats Eye Hunter CATAHOLIC's Avatar

Alan, Just because someone can buy the stuff to make a book it does not make it right. (just because you can buy the tools dosnt mean you know how to use them.)

If this was such a good book why the lack of knowledge about it.

Bert Authorized is the key word.
    Where did the info come from.

Who was involved in the making of it.
    No pics of the inside???
    Why only 50 copies. Heck there are probably that many members here that would buy one.
    Thanks
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    Very hasty IMHO. The $300 BIN really bothers me when there is no table of contents, no publisher even listed (transcript has to be accepted to become a book) I do know that Jim King is working on a Jabo book, and began it before the Sistersville show last Fall. But,.. he is taking his time and don't expect to see it for nearly two years. It will be well worth the wait, will be a good read with history, insides *scoops* of the people at Jabo, the Jabo marbles and photos. And the plastic binder? For this price, it should be bound in leather and trimmed in gold.
    Kris
    My money/vote will wait on a Jim King book. He's always been a first class seller to me and as close as I have to a marble mentor. His reputation with me means everything to me.

That said, I am so looking forward to a definitive book on JABOs. The pictures alone will make it worth big bucks to me. Not hundreds of bucks, but I bet I'd pay $50 for such a book.