How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New JABO Book???      Share

Re: New JABO Book???

I will wait for Jim King to write a trully good book. I still think too much haste when this book hasn't even been written. How many marble books have turned out to be a huge disappointment???? IMHO...it takes TIME to do a job RIGHT. I hope that I am wrong, because like so many others, I welcome a really great informative read about Jabos.
    Kris

edit; another thing.. this book isn't even authorized by the Jabo company and yet *Jabo, Inc.* is on the cover. Correct me please, but isn't that a trademark violation?
    Last edited by kris7047th; 02-09-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Hi I don't know Pete but what he says is right on with what seems to be happening at and with JABO, Inc - -- and as for Ron S., he is one of the best and honorable people I know and what he says about the new JABO book and other works in progress is also correct - -and I am the last person in the world who would want to step on any of these great peoples's toes - - by which I mean Ron S, Jim K and Dale S specifically- - and anyone else I failed to mention Respectfully submitted, Michael Duane Johnson

Thanks for the input, Mike. I know you respect all those people. You spent 10 years, at least, researching for the other two books that you, Dean and Susie just authored. It does take time. Hopefully this new book won't cost $50 each but that part is up to Steve.

Geez, I didn't even recognize who you were Mike! I wanted to say I loved the last couple of books, but took a look at them (I sell "Popular American Marbles" and "American Machine-Made Marbles" here) first and realized, much to my surprise, that I somehow overlooked reading them both! What an awesome surprise! Well, I'll take them on this week. I also realized only just a few days ago that I never finish Mark Block's Encyclopedia of Marbles, Orbs and Spheres (or whatever that one is called)!

Yay!!

I remember 10 years ago there was maybe 5 or so decent marble books. Today we are swimming in them! The best part of this hobby for me these past ten years has been bearing witness to the unfolding of American Marble history, I just love it!

WOW,Rare,made my day. Mike posted,how are you,great to see you here or on any board. Thanks for those words and i always have been and am proud to call you my friend. My toes are fine. I hope Steve,s book is a sell out. No book is simple or easy,we both know that well,after ten or more years. Pete is in for a surprise this week,reading American Machine-Made Marbles. The most accuarte and up to date marble book published to date,and proud to have my name in it. Looking forward to seeing you Mike,this spring at the Cairo WV show. If someone stepped on my toes maybe they would slow down for a while,busy as ever,LOL.

i got the jabo book at new philly and its a great read!!!!

How much were they selling for, duffy? How can someone buy one?

Al ...you know me...i traded steve a couple rare jabos and another mib he coveted...im not real sure of the price.....there is some invaluable info in the book and im glad i got it....give me a few days......ill try to find out sumptin...

Michael! (If you ever view here again) This book is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! (For those not familiar with it, OMG means "Oh My Goodness-gracious!)

I'm reading the bigger volume first, as the smaller advised I do...The "bags, boxes & History" one (Can't check for sure, left it in the bedroom with my sleeping wife.) I devoured about half last night.

WAY TO GO!!

Mike and Sue and Dean (and I've never met any of them, but have heard their names floating about for years - now I know why...) did an incredible job, apparently over a very long time. Talk about new books dispelling myths in old! I can't say enough about this book, without question the most enjoyable read I've had to date. (Then again, I seem to feel this way with every new book I read!) This is a fantastic book for anyone interested in more of the history behind marbles, (as opposed to "this is an "X" and it's worth $x, and this is a "Z" worth yadda, yadda, yadda)

I can't wait to finish it today!

Quote Originally Posted by kris7047th View Post
    I will wait for Jim King to write a trully good book. I still think too much haste when this book hasn't even been written. How many marble books have turned out to be a huge disappointment???? IMHO...it takes TIME to do a job RIGHT. I hope that I am wrong, because like so many others, I welcome a really great informative read about Jabos.
    Kris

edit; another thing.. this book isn't even authorized by the Jabo company and yet *Jabo, Inc.* is on the cover. Correct me please, but isn't that a trademark violation?
    If two painters paint a picture and one paints twelve hours a day for three months and the other paints for one hour once a week for three years, who has the truly good picture? I can't judge. Can you?
    Do you have inside information that this book isn't sanctioned by JABO? I was one of the lucky ones to read this JABO,INC. book. It is great and I can hardly wait until the finished one comes out. Just wait until you read it!!!
    Last edited by marble crow; 02-10-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Call Jabo.
    Kris

Call Jabo.
    Kris
    I don't understand your response. Did you mean to say that you called JABO or are you suggesting that I call JABO? I was actually at the factory on my way to New Philadelphia. Joanne happened to be there. I tried to buy a copy there but they only had their own signed copies from the authors so they wouldn't sell one to me. Both David and Joanne have read and enjoyed the book, according to them. Anything else?

A member called Jabo last week and posted here and told me that Jabo Inc had not authorized the book. I was told that they were more surprized with the auction that ended earlier tonight. Hey.. I am all for GOOD material on Jabo or any other company for that matter. Too many books written on marbles have had waayyy too many errors and simply misinformation. I am happy for Steve that he was able to pull this off in a matter of a few to 4months. With MOST authors it takes them years to write a trully good book. It was stated that it took Michael Johnson 10 years to write his. So for Jim to take two years is not out of reason. He also owns his business and has to write on his spare time. Apparently Steve has more free time to devote to this endevor to be able do it in such a short order. JMHO
    I am for whatever is good for Jabo. It's about time that these American made marbles were taken more seriously by collectors. I only opened my eyes to them last Summer and have had a blast with them and have come to know a few of the sellers and consider them as friends.
    Kris

i stopped at jabo too on friday. dave said the book was ok...im sure jims book will be good ,too ill go down there this week and shoot the breeze with him about it. the jabo book thats out now is really close to like takin a trip to the factory...i was skeptical at first but it is what it is..jim book will be what his is...im sure both will be just fine and an asset to anybodies library...

A member called Jabo last week and posted here and told me that Jabo Inc had not authorized the book. I was told that they were more surprized with the auction that ended earlier tonight. Hey.. I am all for GOOD material on Jabo or any other company for that matter. Too many books written on marbles have had waayyy too many errors and simply misinformation. I am happy for Steve that he was able to pull this off in a matter of a few to 4months. With MOST authors it takes them years to write a trully good book. It was stated that it took Michael Johnson 10 years to write his. So for Jim to take two years is not out of reason. He also owns his business and has to write on his spare time. Apparently Steve has more free time to devote to this endevor to be able do it in such a short order. JMHO
    I am for whatever is good for Jabo. It's about time that these American made marbles were taken more seriously by collectors. I only opened my eyes to them last Summer and have had a blast with them and have come to know a few of the sellers and consider them as friends.
    Kris
    Wasn't Michael Johnson the other author? Yes! Why are you saying that Steve has more time. Don't you mean that Steve and Michael have more time? I wasn't aware that you knew any of these men personally so that you are able to comment on their life and the amount of free time they have??.