How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orange County Show Report      Share

Orange County Show Report

Well, that was an interesting and fun 4-day period. I got there Wednesday afternoon and that evening about 10 rooms or so had checked in - bought some multitwist corks for my collection and looked at a lot of marbles. Thursday Galen, Matt (nervsnjerky) and several others showed up. Steve Cogdill had a couple $2 trays of 1000+ marbles that took some time to go through - lots of marbles up to $10 or so. Galen had a 'few' of his Christensen's there plus the Ravenswood Chinese Checkers box and some other odds 'n ends - even an Akro Hygrade Mesh bag for me. Friday saw several more people check in - mainly the glass artists that last day - over 30 rooms so lots of fun. Then Saturday was show day and for a short notice show (just two months or so), there was a pretty steady crowd of people coming through - several from last year that I recognized. Even a couple lurkers from the board - nice of them to introduce themselves. I'll post a few pictures with this post and add some more later on (should be around 35 or so total). There were some rare boxes that showed up and a lot of high end marbles - both handmades and machine mades that changed hands or were there for showing off. Pics are of Bud & Carol Cloven, some of Bud's boxes and Carol's great handmade wood art and necklaces, Bob Robbin's 'shooters' - they are big!, Galen's Ravenswood box and pic that shows some of them 'glow'.

Re: Orange County Show Report

It's great to hear so many people came with only two months notice! Can't wait to see more! Cool to see the Ravenswood box again!

OK - some more. First couple pics were new ideas (at least to me) for Peltier collectors. Bud and Jack Labbe have started outtin together Peltier (and other) like 'pairs' of marbles (or twins or siblings, etc.). Neat idea! Then a couple pictures of Christopher Roscoe and some marbles that he made. Another seller of contemporaries that had some from several makers. Last one is Matt from our Board (nervsnjerky) and Glen ... who was buying big handmades.

First up here is a couple pics of some of the marbles that Galen had for sale. Then a picture of John Kinstler, Gary Stansgar and Landon Daniel (all have some great machine mades and vintage handmades - you'll see some more of John and Landon's later on). The next box shows some of Landon's peewees (true peewees) that he was selling - great variety! Next up is show organizer and host, Mike Close with his wife, Laura (?sp) and daughter helping people get checked in. Last in this post is a general picture of the show.

Now one of Landon's rare old Millefiore (?sp) marbles and a picture of Clyde Tuller's 'birdcage' paperweight and Landon's 'birdcage' marble. I didn't get the history on these but they are also older and each one wants to buy the other's so that one of them has a set...! Then a picture of Dave and Jean Gardner - can you guess by the shirt that Dave collects flames! And flames he has - Dave is trying to sell a major portion of his flame collection - 150 of them! - the majority of which are CA's - here are two pics - and if anyone is interested and has the $35-40K that Dave wants, I can put you in touch. The last pic is another contemporary maker from Portland, Oregon - Mike...?

The final post with pictures has some that John Kinstler had to show off and maybe sell if you had the $$$. First is a rare Vitro box - he's pretty sure only 4 are known. Then a rare CA box - in the picture with the marbles, the row between the white and vaseline rows is an electric orange cyclone(?), I think he said - each marble in that row was $1,000 or so! Then last was a wood display box with some of his typical marbles for sale.....!

Looks Like a great Show.
    Thanks for Sharing.
    As Always,
    Mark

Gotta love the Vitro box!

Great photos, Al. Thanks for taking the time to post them and for the great commentary. Did you talk Galen out of that Ravenswood box? LOL.
    -Dave

Al...great commentary. I love how you indicated that the last picture contained his "typical" marbles for sale! Wish his typical and my typical were the same thing....
    Mike

"To give anything less than your best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" -Steve Prefontaine

Killer thread, knarly looking marbles.
    "Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul. You gotta run like an antelope, out of control!"