How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Jabo *J.E.R.K.* 3/4" KILLERS!!

Thanks guys! I have to agree with you Joe....this will go down as a historical run due to the success of this run. These four partners spared no exspense. Like Dave told me yesterday, if there was a better glass available, they would have bought that instead. This was an exspensive run, but they made their $$ back in the very first drum. Alterations were done to the furnace ... Dave had the feeder in the back divided into two sections to deliver red and the base glass which is a milk white. A second crucible was added from the top so that two different aventurines could be delivered simotaniously. Here are some of the pics setting up.... Jim King getting the aventurine ready and Rick Hall and Kevin Plummer shoveling the base glass into drums to set up to the feeder.
    Kris
    Last edited by kris7047th; 05-20-2008 at 10:11 AM.

WOWZERS KRIS!!!

Those are Absolutely FUN-NAM-MINAL!!!!!!!!
    So glad you had fun and were a part of it!
    Thanks for the updates and pics!!!

That is really cool. Did they hand gather them to prevent the typical Jabo hit mark issues?
    Mike

"To give anything less than your best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" -Steve Prefontaine

No Mike. They dropped in the buckets as always before EXCEPT Jim King came up with the brainstorm using fiberglass *blankets*. I will add pics later showing them where the molten hot marbles drop on the blanket and roll down to the rest. The blankets also kept the heat in which prevented the marbles from cooling down too quickly. Doing so prevented additional fracturing.
    Thanks Sandy!! I had a BLAST!!!!!!!
    Kris

WOW I'm very impressed! Especially since they were pretty much done last fall!
    Rhonda

Hi Rhonda. Don't expect Jabo to put out a run this Fall. The cost to make Classic marbles is just too much. This group was veeeerrryy lucky when they signed the contract to do this run when they did. Just a few days later Jabo got their gas bill and it had JUMPED considerably, otherwise they would have to pay an additional $1500 for the start up fee. Times are tough for small companies that rely soooo much on fuel to produce their product. About the only way that Classic marbles will come out of Jabo will be from private investors *renting* the plant like this team did.
    Kris
    Last edited by kris7047th; 05-20-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks again Kris for the pics of the process.

Thank Al. There is much more yet to come . Jim emailed some pics for me to post which were taken after I had left. I have some really nice pics of the machine that was used and workers loading and sorting/inspecting unloading drums etc. Also, I have some pics of Kevin *dumpster diving* LOL
    Kris

edit; 1. Dale Simmons checking for fractures (indication of furnace running too hot) This was a test run before our glass was added to make sure everything was proper. 2. Jim King and his son in law Chris Crawfor (ebay jabo seller craw232 ) 3. Jim King test marbles to test compatiblity with glow glass and aventurine glass. 4. Rick & Darlene Hall Kevin Plummer checking out glass that Rick brought to use for extra color.
    5. lower left is Kevin Plummer, right above him is Ed Parsons, next to Ed is Rick and Royal Morse on the right smashing up glass to add to the furnace.
    6. dicusiion led by Jim King speaking. Royal on the left, next to him is Rick, next the back of Dale Simmons and Richard McNight who will operate the machine.
    Last edited by kris7047th; 05-20-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Kevin Plummer *dumpster diving* and why...
    Kris

Now were talking Jabo remelts... Love to get my hands on a bucket of that stuff....

Call Jim Joe.
    Below are the pics of setting up, Ed Parsons on the left in the first pic, a worker sending the first glass down, Dale Simmons checking the first marbles coming down the rollers, and when it was discovered they were a combination of oxblood and aventurine, Jim lit up a cigar. Standing next to him is Dave McCullough who reconfigured the machine for this run. The fifth pic shows the heat blankets that were used to catch the molten marbles so that they wouldn't end up with the typical Jabo hit marks. Also, the blankets prevented the marbles from cooling down too quickly.
    Kris
    edit; the 5th pic was taken later during the run. I chose this one because it shows the method used to catch the molten nmarbles to prevent damage.
    Last edited by kris7047th; 05-21-2008 at 06:17 AM.

Aboslutely spectacular Kris...this thread is definitely one of my favorites! Is he making some of the Cullet available too? I would like a couple pieces of that for art!
    Mike

"To give anything less than your best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" -Steve Prefontaine

Jim King bought back all of the cullet. So any one wanting any will have to contact him. Jim is the coordinator for the Sistersville Marble Fest the September 26 thru the 28th. Call him at (304) 653-4030 no doubt these boxed sets will be available there. I'm guessing that every partner will be there to sell as well. Royal Morse will be another contact at the shows in due time.
    Kris

edit; If the Sistersville Marble Fest Show isn't on your calendar, it should be
    Last edited by kris7047th; 05-21-2008 at 03:56 AM.

shooter-sized! YESSS!!! my favorite JABO sized mib!
    can't wait for them to become available!

awesome read, Kris...and the pics are fantastic.
    thanks-a-venturine!

sure hope i live long enough to see some of those JOKERs in person out here on the west coast--sounds like they are gonna be out of my $-league
    paula