How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Rules for "Poison" by Luke Myers, 9 years-old

Most users here are older collectors, not players. But players are more than welcome!! Very often, it's the players that grow to be collectors...

Unregistered

Great job! This is excatly the same game I used to play as a kid with friends in the 70's when I lived in Germany on a military installation. I have heard many variations of this game, but your rules are exactly as we played. It's good to hear you and your friends are keeping this game alive!

Hi All,

When I played poison I was in 3rd-5th grade. (that was in the early 80's)

We had a small hole which was poison. and the person who landed in the hole became poison.

The person with poison, had to hit each player 3 x to obtain the marble.

when we played we use a variation of different ways to shoot, which included the standard knuckle down.

1. The first was called rainbows (the person with poison would call rainbow, and then use your thumb as a pivot and your fingers spread out to make a rainbow shape in the dirt and you would make as many rainbow shapes as needed to get close to your target, after which you would place the poison marble on the edge of the last rainbow made and shoot)

2. The second was called helicopter, where we would hover the poison marble over the target and then drop it on to the target.

That's about all I can remember for now...

Unregistered

Thumbs up Re: Rules for "Poison" by Luke Myers, 9 years-old

OMG!! that is sooo cool. I play that at my school too!!! Except we play for fun and for keeps

Quote Originally Posted by lukestersmom View Post

My friends and I play this game during recess and afterschool. Actually, about 40 of us play in different areas of our yard. I looked up a game called "poison" online, but our game is different.

# of players: 2 or more (alone or in teams)
    playing field: a dirt area with a small hole (one to two inches) in the middle and a starting line on one end
    Rules:
    *The playing order is determined by a practice shot from the line towards the hole. Whoever is closest or makes it into the hole is first.
    *One at a time, each player shoots their marble toward the hole. The first shot is from the line. All other shots are taken from where the marble lands. The goal is to get it into the hole so the the player that makes it in can become "poisoned."
    *Only one player can be "poisoned" at a time (or more if teams ) by landing in the hole. Only the" poisoned " marble(s) can get others out by hitting them.
    *If someone else gets a marble in the hole, they are the new "poisoned one."
    *Other players may hit each other as a part of their strategy.You do get to go again but no one is out. If somehow their marble hits the other marble two times ( if it hits and rolls up a hill and hits the same marlbe while going down) it's called "Double Shots" and you get to shoot your marble two more times.
    *If a non - poisoned marble hits the poisoned marble, the non - poisoned marble is out.
    * The last marble (or team) in play is the winner. They get to keep all the marbles that were in play from the begining (Except at my school we are not supposed to play for keeps.).

You'd be a big help if you can spread the word with
    me and my friends about our fun marble game.:help2:

I don't know if you'll se this because you didn't register, so the forum can't let you know you got a reply, but if you do...

Where are you from? Just curious?

Unregistered

In the 60's we played a Poison game made like a baseball diamond with 4 holes in a square and one in the center.
    You would shoot towards the first hole and try to make the hole , if you did you would continue around the square. If you didn't you would wait your turn. If you shot last you would try and knock other marbles out of the way.
    The goal was to get around the square to the posion hole first then if you shot and made a hole you got to keep all the marbles in the hole or you could make them start over if you were not playing for keeps.

I do remember something about being able to drop a marble in the hole from standing above, this is when you would drag out your biggest steelie (Ball Bearing) and drop it in the hole hoping to break the marbles of your foe.
    We played this in CA when I moved to Utah no one played marbles?

We also played another game kinda like bachi ball but we played posion the most.

A woman named Nancy H. Pantoulis emailed me this question:

"Luke did not mention the length of the area to play the Poison Game. My husband and I, 65 and 70, have introduced our 7 grandchildren to the world of marbles and intend to play this game with them. But we are not sure of the boundaries that should be set, like is the area square and how many feet should be marked off. This should give us an idea of where the starting line is. Since they are so young, my husband made a plywood board covered with material to play inside during the winter, and seldom play outside. But we want to play Poison outside. Your assistance will be appreciated."

Luke, answer Nancy's questions? She is asking about the version you play with your friends. Are there boundries? About how big is the playing area? I'll have her watch here for an answer...

There are not any boundries or area rules. although... we usually play a 4 ft. long, 4 ft. wide area and shoot at a "starting line" about 3 ft. away from the hole. and sometimes for a challenge we do a small grassy area. that's really all that i left out.
    Always have been and always will be Luke.

“Do or do not... there is no try.” -Yoda

Luke, that is the exact version I played 27 years ago. We had a few special rules as well that could be used once per player per round. We played "elephant stomps" were a player could stomp their own marble into the ground prior to poison shooting at it. There were other rules where a marble could be swapped for a peewee or a steelie and so on. Great to hear the game is still being played.

Played this game in South Texas when I was a kid too, 30+ years ago. Play it with my kids now too...for keeps also, hehehe.

oh! i almost forgot! we also have "specials" like the one matt mentioned. We have: rainbows, cherry bombs, cagies,blockies,no hitties (actually called someting else but it's in spanish), groundies, palm trees, swappies, and some others.
    Always have been and always will be Luke.

“Do or do not... there is no try.” -Yoda

So this is obviously quite an old thread, but thought I'd add this for posterity in case anyone else stumbles upon it as I have. I was quite fascinated to discover this game described here after looking around online for rules of various marble games.

I'm an anthropologist doing PhD research with Karen kids in a rural village in northern Thailand. Recently a marble craze has taken off among the 8–11 year old kids at the school (they've all played before, but this is the first time this year it's become a real phenomenon—I imagine there have been similar phases of lots of marble playing in previous years). Usually the kids here play for keeps.

The rules that they play by are almost exactly the same as Luke's "Poison" game. Not sure how this game originally made its way to remote parts of Thailand, but it was pretty surreal reading through Luke's rules after the kids here taught me how to play. I'm not yet clear on the terminology the kids use to describe the game and its rules, but it would of course be in either Karen or Thai language, not English.

There are three main differences in the version played here. First, there aren't any "special" abilities as described towards the end of this thread.

Second, once a player's marble is "poisoned", it remains that way for the rest of the game. Multiple players can have their marble be poisoned simultaneously. Given the lack of boundaries in this game, this rule variant does sometimes result in players gradually moving the game quite a distance away from the hole, because once all players have poisoned their marble the only reason to return to the hole is if it's positioned advantageously for them to benefit from the extra turn granted by landing again in the hole. If the players move too far away, often somebody will just make the decision to shoot their marble a long way back towards the hole.

Third, when playing for keeps, the last player remaining does not claim all of the other marbles as in Luke's version. Throughout the game, each player keeps whatever individual marbles they hit after being poisoned. One player could theoretically claim four marbles, but then have their own marble captured by another remaining player who ends up the last remaining but with only one captured marble as a prize.