How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vitro Blackies      Share

Vitro Blackies

Does any one know the the different colors on blackies in order of rarity?
    Thanks
    Rhonda

Re: Vitro Blackies

The only thing I think I know about rarity is that lavender is really rare. As for color, I have green, blue, turquoise, red, and yellow in my collection, but there may well be more. -Ric

The light blue are hard to find (turquoise) and the black banded ones. I have two shades of red ones and the darker red seem to be harder to find. I agree with RIC that the lavender ones are very hard to find. Edna

Aren't all blackies black banded?
    Rhonda

I didn't do a very good job describing that marble. Sorry. the black banded ones I was talking about are the ones everyone thought were whities until company literature showed up. they have a white eye at each pole and the black band around the middle. there are also some blackies that have black at each pole and a white band in the middle. There is some discussion about the "anti blackies" that have the color bands reversed - black at the poles, colored band around the equator. And then the ones with red bands, yellow bands, and then a different color at the poles. Some people accept them as a blackie variant. Some do not. There are pics of these in my vitro thread, but I no longer know how to post pics here since the upgrade. Edna

I just got these the other day I have some of those white ones too

I have one or 2 white ones and some persian blue ones as well as the dk. blue, green and some funky hybrids.
    Rhonda

i used to think yellows were htf but that was because for some odd reason i hadn't found many compared to the other colors. but i later found that my sample was skewed. i agree the white ones are least common. not sure i've seen lavender!

by the way...there are also black (purple) whities as seen in this bag of whities:

(photo is of a bag shown at the IAMC show by susan leckenby - sorry i labeled the owner of the bag but not the photo - al, is this your picture?)

here are the types side by side. you can see there is a difference between the two

(for the record, edna, i believe randy will disagree with this. i sent him one of the purple whities and he's still being stubborn about it LOL!)

Here's what AMMM says about the ranking:

Dark blue seems to be the most common, followed by orange, yellow, green, light blue, red, white, and -- the hardest of all to find -- lavender. In fact, after inquiries were made of many Vitro collectors, only one lavender Blackie is known to us.

Unregistered

Bet Chuck and Diane have that one huh? LOL Thanks Guys!

Yes, Chris, I think I took the picture of Susan's bag at the July 2006 IAMC Show.

thanks, al

man, i'm a dork...i sold most of my blackies a long time ago and just kept an example of each color i had. after i went to work today i was thinking about the lavender ones and i remembered (or *thought* i remembered) coming across a purple blackie a while back and just sticking it in the dish with the others i'd kept.

i sent myself an email to check when i got home, and sure enough - buried in the dusty dish was the lavender one! it totally went over my head that i'd never seen one before finding this one - i think i thought it was an error, and i forgot all about it.

here's a photo of it with the other two shown in my earlier picture - a white blackie and a hybrid green/turquoise:

Attachment 62361

edit:
    In fact, after inquiries were made of many Vitro collectors, only one lavender Blackie is known to us.
    holy cow, i just caught that!

wowie-wow!
    Last edited by tankgrrl29; 08-28-2008 at 12:59 AM.

..so is this also considered a "Blackie"
    Last edited by fredt; 08-28-2008 at 04:31 PM.

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

Whitie. IMHO Peace,Galen

Thanks again Galen Vitro is the hardest brand for me to get a grasp of!! But Rome wasn't built in a day either...