How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: R Hamon      Share

R Hamon

These are both 2", first is dated 96 and the other is dated 97. Found them in a shop in N Washington.
    Still learning the game... :help2: :help2:

Re: R Hamon

Your marble made in 1996 is not in my records from the collectors club. What that means is that Bob made marbles for Richard to see and choose which ones made the cut for being offered to the collectors. The ones that didn't make the cut are very rare. In that size no more than 3 were made. So you own one of 3 made in that design. I have some from the ones Richard didn't choose. I treasure them. On many of them, it's hard to understand why Richard turned them down.
    Last edited by sissydear; 09-04-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Is that the same for the 97? Could these have been selected, and somehow ended up in that particular antique shop? I could call and try to get the provenance as to where they came from. They were the only 2 in the display case.

Lucky you with the marble for 1997. Apparently Richard didn't like the 2 inch size in that one. I'm betting there are only 3 of those made. However, Richard decided they should offer that in the 1 1/2 inch size. Here's the description in Richard's words.

Grape Swirl 1 1/2 inches

Sometimes heating causes basic colors to change in a variety of variations so much that exact identification may not be completely accurate. This marble is one of those that heat affected the color in a good way. Each of us see this color differently. I see it somewhere between grape and cranberry. What do you think?

I have that marble in 1 1/2 inches. Mine looks more cranberry. Yours looks cranberry to me. I know Bob started with a core of opaque white glass and then laid the colored glass over it. Then he added the ribbons and covered with Hamon crystal clear glass. The recipe for that crystal clear glass was the work of O. B. Hamon. (Okie Boyd Hamon). He is the grandfather of Boyd Allen Miller and John Hamon Miller; the father of Bob Hamon, Richard, Don, Leo, and Dorothy Hamon Miller. When Boyd Miller bought Bob's old studio, papers from the office had been strewn all over the floor. He gave orders that nothing be thrown away until he had looked at it. Among the "trash" on the floor, Boyd found the recipe for the Hamon crystal clear glass in his grandfather's handwriting.

Enjoy those marbles. They were made by one of the greats. Edna
    Last edited by sissydear; 09-04-2008 at 11:29 PM.

Most likely those two marbles were sold from the shop in Scott Depot. On our visits I always searched through the cases in the showroom for marbles we didn't have. Don, the baby brother (older than I am, LOL) saw me looking one time and told me the story of those marbles that didn't make the cut. By the way, I forgot that this board puts stars for some words so I went back and put Richard instead of the man's nickname. Lots of marbles were purchased from the showroom and I love having the ones that numbered only 3.

Richard Hamon is a member of the Florida marble club. He always brought Bob's marbles to the shows in Florida. Many Bob Hamon marbles were purchased there. It is possible that Richard Hamon originally sold yours in Florida, but I lean toward direct purchase from the showroom in Scott Depot.

I only bought them due to your recent posts about the Harmon family in the auction thread you are holding for Joe, so...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

If you ever want to sell them, you know where to look for a buyer. If they were mine, I'd never sell. All of mine will be left to my son and grandson. By the way, my info about the Hamon family comes from a 15 year association with them. I am the "unofficial Hamon Family biographer". Boyd Miller is like a son to us and we dearly love his Dad too. Edna

I'll bring them to Sistersville...:D

Hopefully, some of the Hamon Family will be there and I'll introduce you. Edna

Funny how things happen. We met Bo Stiff and Mark Capel through the Hamon Family. Started going to the show at Hannibal because of John. And couldn't miss Sistersville cause we enjoy being with that family as much as we enjoy the festival. John and Boyd haven't come in the last few years and Sonny hasn't been in I think 2 years, but daughter Marie is there every year along with Phillip Arthur who makes the pig marbles. Edna

No more than three made? So I am assuming these are furnace marbles made on canes of 3?
    That first one with the blue is Sweet, You are going to have to let me see them before you take them to Edna.. I'm sure she is going to enjoy them in her collection...
    Joe

They are definitely furnace marbles. When Bob made a 3 inch marble, the whole "stick" made one marble. He always called his canes a stick, never heard him use the word cane. He got 8 marbles and a small paperweight from the stick for 1 1/4 inch marbles. You are correct about the cane making 3 of the 2 inchers. Of course Bob always said "if you're lucky". You never know when something will go wrong and you only get 2 or even 1. Edna

Edna, got any info on this one? Its signed "Hamon 95" (i used some talcum powder to make it stand out a bit). I am almost positive I got this in either 95 or 96 in an artglass shop near Claremont in California. Measures about 1-1/16.

-Brad

I have one of those, but no info on it. It's probably one I bought in the showroom. It wasn't one of the offerings to the collector's club. It definitely is marked 1995. If you find one that has the year, the signature, and a number like #32 it is a limited edition. He didn't ever make more than 100 of those and most of them fewer than 30. They took orders and then made the marbles, so there are not a lot of extras over what was needed to fill orders from the collectors club. Each time the marbles were offered there was 1 limited edition and several vintage style marbles. They also offered a David Salazar and a Fred Wilkerson each time. Edna