How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool Your Heels!      Share

Re: Cool Your Heels!

Hey tankgrrl29,
    My comments have nothing to do with this thread, but you have given me an idea. Do you suppose there is a way we could positively determine who among us is "experienced enough to know whether their 'help' is truly helpful or not"?
    It would be interesting to have a "top 10 list" of the most helpful members of this forum.
    I sure wouldn't vote for me.
    Opinions?
    Burt

burt, i'm sorry if my post sounded condescending - i didn't mean it to be. i was not advocating any kind of heirarchy. i was just trying to make the point that one of the hardest things about this hobby (besides learning marble ID) is learning who to trust for advice on marble ID.

there are plenty of people who are very willing to impart their knowledge on others. many will present it with an air of authority that isn't always earned. i can't tell you how many times people who didn't know me (at flea markets, marble shows, etc) took it upon themselves to "teach" me about marbles. i've had someone tell me, "now, THIS is a christensen agate TURKEY!" when what they were showing me was the cutline of a multicolor swirl. if i didn't know any better, i would have thought the guy just taught me something cool. and i might've passed it on because i was too inexperienced to know that this guy didn't know himself!

as important as it is to "know what you know", it's just as important to "know what you don't know". and in those cases it's important to "know who does know". just because someone tells you they know, it doesn't always mean they do. and if more experienced people are debating a point, it's not because they're picking on someone or trying to get them banned - it's because they too care about the hobby and about misinformation (or assumptions) being passed on as truth.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I didn't think you had improper motives. I have been watching the sports channels and was wondering if a top 10 system might be helpful. For instance, when I am at a Marble Show, and want to get a correct i.d., I know to whom I should go. I know the person or persons who can help with Marble King or Christensen or Peltier or Alleys, etc. "Hey Ron", or "Hey Smitty", or "Hey Alan", or "Hey Junior" and many more.
    Just a thought.
    Burt

Tank,
    I agree with Bert. I am not an expert, but I do research and try to share it. Maybe Bert suggestion should be followed and the Tank should set up a hierarchy of who we can all safely talk to about marbles.

I would like to share a link I got today from the editor of "Poor Richard's Almanac" asking me to check a piece there dated Jan.14, 2009. I will share the link with you http://ourfriendben.wordpress.com/

Now there's something worth talkin' about - thanks!

A self imposed Hierarchy of authority is dangerous even if well intended.
    It will offend many.
    Every person's opinions are valuable.
    In time we all learn who is an authority & Who is not.
    Perhaps a feed back system would work better.
    If you had the ability to rate a persons thread,
    then someone who is good could have some kind of a 5 Star grading? Or 1, or 2, or 0 ect...

Just some thoughts....
    As Always,
    Mark

i am hesitant to speak for others, but i think steve/psia-antiques was being sarcastic when he said i should set up a list of 'safe' collectors.

that post aside....i see where burt is coming from and i have my own "go-to" peeps for certain marble IDs too.

while i see the value in that, i agree totally with mark that in a forum setting this would not be a good idea. not only does it open the door for hurt feelings, there's no way to validate marble opinions like you can do with sports where either you get the baskets or you don't. marble collecting is not black & white like that. too many variables, imo, and there's too much open to interpretation (both in the pictures and the communication.)

i think learning who to trust is just like any other social skill...you pick up on it as you go, getting info from various sources, taking things under consideration and testing out other options. don't be afraid to question 'authority' but don't forget that there are more exceptions than rules in marbles, so don't forget to respect the elders (as rick likes to say ) . it's all a crazy balancing act that changes as we go.

and i agree, everyone has the potential to add value to a discussion. to rank people in a public, written-down fashion would do far more harm than good, imo.

(burt, i do understand what you're after, and i don't believe you'd want to see this used in a negative way.)

We had that system previously here where forum members could "rate" other members or give them credit for a good post or ID. This worked for a while but Pete turned off that system as it also began to cause problems. I don't remember what directly lead to the removely of that system, but I am fairly certain that it was something pretty ridiculous.
    I would not be against instituting a system like that again, but everyone needs to have an open mind, and not get angry or confrontational just because another forum member has more "points" than you do.
    Mike

"To give anything less than your best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" -Steve Prefontaine

Chris, how did this turn into you trying to explain a 'crazy balancing act' when you can't balance everyone in a debate? Steph always gets kicked off. Wow, that freaks me out. Yes, such a welcome and needed antidote you are suggesting. This is so exasperating. On the other hand, maybe sarcasm can only take you so far and living in your milieu year in and year out is what should be banned.

No, the signs point pretty convincingly to the fact that the real marble experts are sort of a legacy, mostly supplanted by fast learning newbies, but they’re still around and we all know when and how to call on them if necessary.

Please leave Steph alone, some of us need her badly. I just love how you won’t attack her until your calculus places the odds in your favor. I wouldn’t bet big that you could hold out indefinitely.

When will you give up? When everybody is gone, and you’re back to your splendid isolation?

Arrgh, gotta go.
    Last edited by Roger; 01-14-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Unregistered

Tank, you just can't stand it when anyone defends Steph. You mistakenly believe your opinion counts more than all the people who stated the positive things about Steph? Go on back to your board. Be the Marble Queen on your own turf. Let us know however when you come up with your list of trusted marble people.

Objective debate is healthy - that is how things work.
    You know that it wasn't so long ago that pepole in the know believed that the world was flat and that the Earth was the center of the Universe - many people died because they didn't agree with these views.

Nothing is static.

There is one thing many folks seem to be forgetting. This is Petes board, he pays for it, he can do what he wants. If you do not like it you do not have to post here. He really shouldn't have to explain why he does anything he choses to do here at LOM. It is too bad so many want to take all this stuff personal when it really is none of their business. So what if Steph got a time out. She will get over it. But I will say that some of her comments seem to indicate what she really thinks of this board and makes me wonder why she would ever post here in the first place. And it seems to me Tankgirl simply posted some very accurate observations. Peace,Galen

Unregistered

I have been watching these boards for some time. Granted, Pete owns this forum. Without the ability for people to interact, this would be a regular website where you come in, read and leave.
    If we all look back to school days, you could probably recall those classmates who just caught on quickly without effort, then there were those who studied hard and yet, both got good grades. As time goes by, we learn many things at different rates and in different ways. Some have learned by experience, some by reading and studying, some just seem to absorb information as if it were the air they breathe but no matter which way they learn, it doesn't make one person more or less qualified for whatever purpose. You cannot judge a person's ability to learn because everyone is different.
    Each day is a learning experience, it's part of growing and going through life.
    If you didn't have those people who occasionally stepped outside of the box, you'd probably be saying something like "Einstein, who?". Bill Gates was considered a nerd, look who has become a millionaire and has helped to give so many people the ability to type on this forum.
    In the grande scheme of all things around the world from its beginning to now, what is the significance of arguing about something so small as a marble? These are toys. Meant for the pleasure and enjoyment of children, not for grown-ups to argue about. Collecting them is meant to be a fun hobby, one that can be passed along to another generation. When grown-ups argue and get angry about it in a less than constructive and productive way, it's not as much fun anymore.
    Aristotle once said "Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way-that is not easy".

Unregistered

Hi Steph!

Unregistered

Oh, sorry I mean
    Hi Sturtz!
    You still posting from the library?