How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Do you play marbles?      Share

Re: Do you play marbles?

Theres about 15 kids that play marbles in my neighborhood! I play with them!

I was a real woose playing marbles as a kid in the 1940s. Mostly lost! Had an almost 2" ugly German Swirl in what looked like green bottle glass if you can imagine. Somehow my 'friend' Keith caged it outta me and I wound up getting it back by whining. I know.....real pathetic! The thought of it still grates. It was about the only marble from my childhood that I saved except for a couple interesting Peltier 3/4"ers and a 5/8" Sunset. Always loved Sunsets. Eventually gave the German Marble to my son but that was even before I got into marbles over 20 years ago. I've wisely stayed out of marble games that were organized at marble shows! Never know, I might wind up whining again.....David

Pete: I hope you are gathering some good information that will benefit us all. As you know I just completed writing and publishing a new book, Collecting Marbles: A Beginner's Guide, which has opened up a whole new world for me. At book signing you would not believe the number of children and parents who want to learn how to play marbles. At Old Shawnee Days (Kansas City) a few weeks ago, my wife and I taught 250 children the old game of Ringer-in the dirt, 1920 style with old slag marbles. At other events ( flea market and an antique show), I have had trouble finding a level surface for beginners so I really need some ideas on how to build a portable platform –ideal dimensions, materials, surface covering and capable of fitting in the trunk of my car! I am in stealth mode to figure out how to build a portable playing ring that I can take to schools, community centers, parks, boys and girls clubs, camps……and show children how to play marbles. Please let me know how your survey comes out. Now that I have some time I want to beat the drum, for marble playing.

Rich Maxwell, www.marblekeeper.com

Quote Originally Posted by eddiemex View Post
    Theres about 15 kids that play marbles in my neighborhood! I play with them!
    Eddie: What surface do you play on? I am trying to figure out a way to build a portable surface that I can take to schools, camps...etc and teach kids how to shoot marbles. Rich Maxwell, www.marblekeeper.com

Rich, please do not use clickable links in your posts. Feel free to let us know about marblekeeper.com in the body of your post, if applicable, but it is against board policy to routinely use a link in your signature...

We will be offering this book soon. Rich will ship an autographed copy of the book author-direct to anyone ordering from LandOfMarbles.com

Knuckles down! Played as a kid. Also played with spinning tops, yo-yos, tiddlywinks, matchbox cars, and flipped baseball cards.

Sounds like you had fun.

We played alot of marbles on school, this was not the way we did it at all. You stack them up in dirt ground and the other player will try to hit them. If he does, he wins them. The small ones were usually stakced up in pyramides. Sometimes the larger too, and you needed larger ones to make the large ones fall off). The larger, the rarer and more valueable.

Did you shoot marbles at the Pyramids from the ground? Or lob them (toss underhanded) or divebomb (drop from straight overhead)? If a player hits he gets the whole pyramid? Is it 3 or 4 marbles in a Pyramid? Larger ones are used individually, or sometimes stacked in pyramids? When did you play this game? Did it have a name? Thanks for sharing!

All these different styles and such XD love it.
    We played kongs and jumbos only anything smaller was thrown at walls or scrambled etc..

Im as my profile states from brantford ontario canada I used to play from age 5 to probably 12 or 13 then I just recently dug another marble pot in my backyard and showed my son how epic the game is .
    The style however I cant seem to find anyone on the planet who replicated it .. closest to our game style i found was the one about the bunnyhole however no marble knocking ever took place unless your initial throw or you shot one into another (usually resulting in those chips)

We would dig a hole using the heel of your shoe spinning around to get a circle that can hold at least two kongs or specifically jumbos so you can use one pot for any size, Then you find an opponnent who wants something you have you choose something they have you want and touch the marbles together to signify challenge accepted.
    Take up perch around 20 - 40 feet away at times we went over a hundred feet away and required like 4 huge shots to even get it near the pot for fun .
    but alas about 20 feet away each person takes thier marbles and gives em a toss towards the pot.
    closest goes first you put your thumb on the center piece of meat on the index finger align and shoot. Last marble in is the winner of all so you can get three of four in and still lose your stash .

I had an entire drawer full when i was a kid over 1300 of them as I recall like i said a few times Kong or jumbo size only .. I still remember that drawer caving in and having to removed the destroyed wood of it and just use the open bottom of the dresser after a while .
    Believe my mom either threw out a lot because that many is clearly heavy and she diddnt want to cart all them around OR My partner took over half when we went our seperate ways I cant eactly remember but both make sence HAHA.
    Im 29. 30 in a couple months if that helps Pete =)
    Just picked it up again and showing my son probably going to collect some of those REAL cool ones i see like the solar system and earth Like I saw a marble i think even on this site that had a litteral Spiral galexy in the center... XD wheree were those when i was a kid haha

The people who played marbles as a kid always make it sound so fun I didn't play, but the stories always make me jealous that it wasn't a big thing where I lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The people who played marbles as a kid always make it sound so fun I didn't play, but the stories always make me jealous that it wasn't a big thing where I lived.
    It's never too late to start playing marbles, Pete. It should be a requirement for every marble show. Besides, you want to earn that badge, don't you?

Yes, I played marbles but now I am very busy so I am not playing it nowadays.