How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Calling all Mega Marbles Collectors

Linda,

Thanks for the ol' Vacor website reference. I'd been there before but was totally Stymied by Spanish(Sounds like a book title). David

Your Yellow & Orange marble could be their 'Rainbow.'
    Last edited by dlcmib; 08-28-2011 at 11:54 AM.

I referenced the Mega Marbles catalogs and price sheets 1993 to date to compile my info. Mega did not offer a Dalmatian during those years. Mega ordered specific types of marbles to distribute as specific, named types in their 24+1 nets. Those are the varieties I try to nail down to create a "master list" of Mega Marbles styles. Mega also distributed mixed marbles in many other ways, and you can find anything Vacor makes in those bags, for example, the "collector sampler," "classic marbles," "Party Assortment," "Toy Marbles," "Half Pound of Rounds," and "Pound of Rounds" nets. They also distribute pouches filled with assortments, the "Good Job" jar, assortments on boxes, etc.

I just want to clarify that my project involves identifying only those marbles marketed as specific types in the Mega branded 24+1 nets...Vacor made boatloads of stuff that do not fall into that slender category.

Linda, those marbles also remind me of the Sunsets but I'm not sure they had the white in there.

If I had to ID them as a Mega Marble style, I'd say Sunset. Sunsets are described as "Normally a clear base but a few have a wispy milky white or yellow in the clear base. All have yellow and/or orange brushed on the surface." Rainbow (AKA Gumball) are a transparent clear base with 2 same-color ribbons brushed on the surface, so I don't think Rainbow. Sunsets are pretty scarce. They were only distributed in 1995, 1996 and 1997. I had a tough time locating some for my type set. Michael at Little Works of Art Marbles was able to help me out with a couple, and it's one of the types I keep an eye out for, and I've never found any. I have more luck finding vintage types than some of the older production Megas. I think I started selling Mega nets in 1997. Michael had already been doing it for a year or two, so he hooked me up with examples of production from before I was dealing them...Sunset, Frosty Rainbows, Glitter, yellow Jacket and Sparkle were all discontinued in 1997 or earlier. Glitter and Sparkle are virtually indistinguishable from sililar marbles coming out of China, so if I bought them, I'd want them MIP. Sunset, Frosty Rainbow, and Yellow Jacket I would cull out of a group of marbles if I encountered them. I think these will be types many will be looking for in coming years to complete Mega type sets...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    "If I had to ID them as a Mega Marble style, I'd say Sunset. Sunsets are described as "Normally a clear base but a few have a wispy milky white or yellow in the clear base. All have yellow and/or orange brushed on the surface." ... Sunsets are pretty scarce. They were only distributed in 1995, 1996 and 1997. .... Glitter and Sparkle are virtually indistinguishable from similar marbles coming out of China, so if I bought them, I'd want them MIP. Sunset, Frosty Rainbow, and Yellow Jacket I would cull out of a group of marbles if I encountered them. I think these will be types many will be looking for in coming years to complete Mega type sets...
    '95 to '99 was when I was buying lots of Mega Marbles in that local toy store. So it makes sense that I ended up with the sunsets. Now I wish I had bought more of them. I don't have a shooter, so the few sunsets that I have must have come in the mixed jars/boxes.

I just looked up the "Glitter" and "Sparkle" marbles. You're right, they would be extremely difficult to tell apart from the Chinese ones. I have a lot of white-base and black-base marbles with multi-colored flecks all over the outside, like that, and I don't know which, if any, are Mega.

On the other hand, Mega's "Stardust" marbles, which are clear-base with various colors of little glass bits all over the outside (one color per marble), and with an iridescent finish - I can tell those from the similar types from China. There's something nicer about the Mega ones. Maybe it's the shade of iridescence, and the clarity of their clear glass.

I believe you can actually say that Vacor de Mexico had/has better quality control and generally considerably more aesthetic sense than numerous same period Asian look-a-likes. I am somewhat prejudiced in a positive sense towards Vacor. They're been a major boost for marble appreciation amongst youth. David

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Hi! Are you still looking for any Mega Marbles? I just purchased a couple of boxes of marbles at an auction here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada - and there appears to be quite a number of them in the boxes, one larger dalmation I think for sure. Still sorting, but hoping to post pics soon!
    Lynn, I would love to see pics of the marbles you got at that auction! Were there any smaller dalmatians? I have two shooters, and I thought I had several player-sized ones, but if I do have them, I can't find them.

If there was a sunset shooter in there, I'd really love one of those!

Are you interested in swapping marbles, by any chance?

If not, then selling?

Quote Originally Posted by dlcmib View Post
    I believe you can actually say that Vacor de Mexico had/has better quality control and generally considerably more aesthetic sense than numerous same period Asian look-a-likes. I am somewhat prejudiced in a positive sense towards Vacor. They're been a major boost for marble appreciation amongst youth. David
    I'm with you, David! Glad that marbles are still being enjoyed, collected and played by kids - and happy that Vacor makes sure marbles are still found on store shelves, and in kids hands !!

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Hi Pete - I have a lot of the Mega bags from the beginning ... I do have a Vacor Dalmatas (picture below). I also have a Vacor Piratas (Pirate?) ... (that picture below also). ....
    I'm reading through these old posts from a couple of years ago, and the pictures are not here! How to I access the photos?

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Linda, those marbles also remind me of the Sunsets but I'm not sure they had the white in there.
    I'm sure now. They are Sunsets. There's a picture on the Vacor site that exactly matches my marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by lindaguitar View Post
    Lynn, I would love to see pics of the marbles you got at that auction! Were there any smaller dalmatians? I have two shooters, and I thought I had several player-sized ones, but if I do have them, I can't find them.

If there was a sunset shooter in there, I'd really love one of those!

Are you interested in swapping marbles, by any chance?

If not, then selling?
    Hi! I'll get some pictures together in the next couple of weeks and post them . You are looking for Vacor and Mega? I'll try to get a picof each variety I got at the auction and size. Would love any info you can give and to see if there are any that you need?!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Hi! I'll get some pictures together in the next couple of weeks and post them . You are looking for Vacor and Mega? I'll try to get a picof each variety I got at the auction and size. Would love any info you can give and to see if there are any that you need?!!
    There are certain styles of Vacor/Mega marbles I'd like to get - or get more of. A Sunset shooter, to go with my smaller sunsets. Some more Dalmatians. Also, Michelangelos and Picassos, which aren't made anymore.
    Michelangelos are transparent dark blue base, with swirls of opaque red, yellow, white, and maybe green - I'll have to take a look at the ones I have to see if there's green.
    Picassos are white base with swirls of red or orange, and yellow and blue. (I have some with red and some with orange.)

I don't only collect Mega Marbles. I collect lots of types - if I think they're pretty and can afford them. I'm very curious now about what types of marbles are in that box you got!

I can't remember if I asked Pete this before but does Qualatex qualify for your US sold marbles in bags. Qualatex was the predecessor to Mega for Vacor in the US. I think basically Mega got/bought the rights from Qualatex (or maybe worked out a better deal with Vacor). They are both in Wichita. For example, here is a picture of a Qualatex bag of Assorted Stelaris. The header is the same as the one Mega first used except there is the Qualatex logo in the upper left corner.

Hey all, haven't been on the boards in months.. are the 2011 marbles all frosted?
    *marble pun here*

Yes, they are. Here are the pics of mine. As you can see, without the 'frosting', they would be 'other' named marbles from prior years. I don't know if they ran out of ideas for other designs or just decided to do something different with older styles.