How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Calling all Mega Marbles Collectors

Everyone has been more than gracious trying to answer all your question and have been as helpful as possible.
    CACs make me smile, Galen

The marble names collectors know collectible marbles by don't have to be "official" names, set by the people who manufactured them - you are not the first collector to be frustrated by the lack of official names. In the early 20th century, American marble manufacturers used to make and distribute their own marbles, so it was easier to assign "official" names to marbles. You can do research and find old ads where Akro Akate is marketing stuff as "Sparklers" or "Prize Name." Today most American Companies are out of business (Marble King is the only one left). Most marbles are made in other countries, such as VDM and a few companies in China - they often make marbles, but do not distribute them. They just sell them to 3rd parties who market and distribute them. For example, a marble manufacturer may have a catalog showing what they can make by style and color. Customers order, say a tri-color swirl in transparent clear with opaque red and green swirls. A US customer might order those, repack them into nets and sell as one name, and a UK customer might order the same thing and sell them as another name - so which is the "right" name?

Collectors sometimes use a name the marble was marketed under, if known, like Sparkler or Prize Name. Sometimes the same marble was marketed under multiple names; for example Akro Agate Co. sold slags in assorted colors, but there are also known boxes with red slags marketed as "Cardinal Reds." Sometimes a collectible marble is most commonly known by it's street name. For example, Marble King make a black and yellow striped marble commonly called a Bumblebee back-in-the-day. The name has stuck with collectors. Yet other marbles are named by collectors. Christensen Agate Co. made primarily opaque swirls, but collectors gave them names such as "diaper fold," "turkey" or "flame," depending on what the pattern is like.

You could collect the names that you hear being used for different styles, like Orange Cream. No one is in charge of marble collecting - whatever name comes into common use among players and later collectors often becomes "the name" most people know them by.

These "unofficial" names often become "official" once they appear in print. Once a term makes it into a book, it's use spreads. Your list is a good start. Oftentimes the names you later see in ID guides are those people first used online and at forums. There have been numerous examples of vintage marbles with no known "official" name that collectors gave names to over the years as they talked about them online - specific color combo's of Akro Agate corkscrews, Peltier Glass Co. Rainbos and National Line Rainbos, and Marble King Rainbows for example.

Just because modern manufacturer's do no assign names as they once did, does not mean there is not a need for collectors to come up with names. When you look through mixed marbles there will always be types that catch your eye, and that collectors tend to cull out, and names are needed for those types if collectors are going to be able to trade effectively. Sorry, I didn't mean to discourage you.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerscubbs View Post
    Oh that's odd because I found the orange and white patches in a Pound of Rounds nets. Maybe they were produced for a different country?
    You have heard correctly that they are informally known as "orange cream" in the USA, while they seem to be called "carrot" in the UK and some other countries.

They don't have an official name and are relatively unknown because they were never sold in theme nets of their own in the USA (and may not have been in other countries either).

I've picked up quite a few of those from pounds of rounds and also from "Top Notch" marble nets which are Vacor marbles but not distributed by Mega Marbles. Boulder and mammoth size orange creams pretty commonly come up in ebay listings, too. For some reason I never see players, though.

I came across this picture with no name - are these the orange creams?

Attachment 96684

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I came across this picture with no name - are these the orange creams?

Attachment 96684
    Yes! Those are Orange Creams.

Or Carrots, depending who you ask.

I wasn't sure, but if provided with multiple choice answers, I'd have said those were "Orange Creams" too. Looks like they've earned a name with American collectors! Now we just need them to make their way into a book designated as orange creams, and it will be set in stone!

I predict they will become sought out by collectors now - this is the first step in a marble being collected - being sought out and named.

And there are oodles more. As I said, MM buys lots of assortments and repacks them into various types of packages. You can find hundreds of "unknown" loosies by looking through them.

Generally, the more contrasting colors there are on a VDM marble, the more valued. Also, transparent glass is generally valued more, especially non-clear.

HI Everybody,

Just a hint for identification of the Orage with white patch marbles : glasfirma site (sort of subsidiary of Fabricas Selectas) has one model that may be close to the picture : Saber tooth tiger. That would mean that Vacor produced this type of marble for some countries at some point.

http://www.glasfirma.com/productos.p...t=13&idCat=17#

As Pete mentions, Fabricas Selectas very often spread uncompliant standard style marbles in their assortment. To my knowledge, This style was never sold in the USA whatever the name.

Any comments are welcome.

Regards from France

Didier

I think VDM produces marbles for whoever, and then up with a lot left over. For example, maybe MM would order 100,000 pounds of a style. VDM would melt enough glass to produce at least the 100,000 pounds MM needs, but they don't stop at 100,000 pounds, they have to empty the furnace. Then anything the y don't need to fill MM's order, they sell to anyone who needs assorted mibs - they just mix whatever they have lying around into mixes to get rid of extra stock...

Thanks, Didier. There is a 2014 PDF catalog on that website also. Lot of different names shown in your link and the bag headers ,etc. in the catalog.

Pete-don't forget about JABO and Dave's Appalachian Swirls. They are two more American marble companies still in business.

Last I heard JABO was out of business. Did they start up again? And I'm not familiar with Dave's Appalachian Swirls - what do they make? Is that a new company?

I googled them, and it seems they make marbles specifically for the collector market. Wholesale marbles should be on the order of a fraction of a cent each. It costs even less than that to make them, and the people producing and marketing them at $1 each or more are taking advantage of the current climate for collecting marbles. They are not "real" wholesale marbles. They are made specifically to target collectors and IMHO are not good investments. Remember when Jokers were bringing $100 each and more? Where are those prices today?

I understand some people enjoy collecting them, but these are not marbles you will ever see offered at retail for play. Anything made specifically for the collector market is generally not a good investment.

Examples: 9/11 items produced after the towers came down, Princess Diana items produced after her death, etc. These things are marketed to collectors but very rarely hold their value.

And before anyone gets angry and tries to strike me down, please remember this is IMHO, but those familiar with collectibles in general usually know where I'm coming from.

In contrast, MK marbles, when offered for sale, are at "real" wholesale pricing.

Jabo and Dave's (as well as Sammy's Mountain Marbles) were all the "collector" type runs and not for sale direct from the "company" to buyers or to other companies in a wholesale market. Nice marbles but not companies like MK or FS, etc.

So do they produce any marbles for wholesale? I'm always looking for new sources.

That was something I never could figure out when I first became interested in marbles about a year ago: how do you go about buying Jabos?

It seems like there are a few key sellers on ebay who are connected to JaBo and are the primary source of their marbles. Perhaps if a business contacted them and wanted to place a particularly large order they'd get wholesale prices but for the most part they seem to set the prices very high on the assumption that people will consider it possibly their only chance to grab these marbles when they're only run once.

JaBo has evidently done some runs pretty recently - this site has JaBos from two different runs in 2014: http://www.mo-marbles.us/ItemsByLimitedRun.aspx
    Last edited by Tezcatlipoca; 09-06-2014 at 11:37 PM.

If I wanted them, I would contact Jabo directly. I used to deal with Dave McCullough, but not sure if he runs the show there anymore. We spoke, but I never did purchase any Jabos wholesale.