How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

trouble viewing forum width?

I don't believe it is something I did on my end but I can not use Internet Expl. browser anymore as the LOM page will not all fit on the screen. It is just fine with Google Chrome or Firefox browsers. Do you or Al use IE? Galen

Re: Page size

I use IE. I've always had to scroll a little to the right to see the remainder of the screen.

Re: Page size

Nothing has changed here. I use IE 7 and 1440x900 resolution. At this resolution, I have a blank column down either side of the site's content. As I understood it, I am using a resolution higher than most, but I designed the layout to fit within the most commonly-used resolutions, only the very lowest won't fit. Anyone using a fairly new set up should be AOK.

What resolution are you viewing at? I think that's the clincher, not the browser being used. These reports of content not fitting the screen anlways trouble me. Thankfully, it's only seemed to be an issue at the forums.

I'm going to move this thread to the technical support forum, so other users can chime in as to what they are experiencing.

One thing I know that causes trouble is when a user uploads a large image file with dimensions larger than my template can accomodate, but I can't control what people upload. (Well, I can block that, but I don't want to inhibit people sharing content).

Re: trouble viewing forum width?

I have to set my laptop at 1024x768 or it distorts. Thats probably the issue. It all shows up no scrolling on all the browsers except IE. Thats kind of strange but not a real issue. I have started using google chrome as it is much faster than IE. Galen

I just tried all the resolutions my laptop supports. I keep it set to 1400x900, as I have a widescreen and it fits more content on it, I can work better with multiple apps open at once. 1280x800px, 1280x720, and 1024x768 are all OK for viewing the forum. My lowest setting; 800x600 is fine for displaying the rest of the site too (I think my site width is 780px) but it cuts the right side off the forum. I think we needed to layout the forum a bit wider to include the left-side navigation bar. The majority of users are set to 1024x768, although about 1 in 4 users is still using 400x600. That is why I made the rest of the site display OK, so even those with lower resolution settings can use the site well, it's just the forum that has a problem displaying at 800x600.

Are you using 800x600px resolution Galen?

1024x768

different browsers parse HTML in different ways. I'm supposed to view my site in alternamte browsers to be certain it appears OK in all, but who has time for that? I can barely keep up with IE...

So for the record, if anyone finds they have to slide the bottom scroll bar to the right to see the forum, setting resolution to at least 1040x768 should fix it. 800x600 is too low for me to design for. The remainder of the site looks AOK at 800x600, but the forum will have the right end cut off...

I *could* solve the problem by ditching the left-column navigation bar, featured products and newsletter subscription form, but would like to keep that there...

Just a note to say I confirmed with my developer - LOM is optimized for 800x600 px, but the forum would not fit into the 800x400 template, so the forum (only) is optimized for 1040x768. If you are using 800x600 resolution you will need to scroll to see the right-most end of some forum content...