How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Sea Glass Marble from Massachusetts

As a professional sea glass hunter and artisan one of my favorite finds are sea glass marbles. I delight in these colorful and unique sea glass specimens and have recently had a fantastic find in Boston Harbor. It is quite large. The color appears to be a non transparent black with deep purble and white infused in it. I have added a picture in the hopes someone can help me to identify it.

Many thanks!

Danielle
    Sea Glass Jewelry by Danielle Renee'

Re: Sea Glass Marble from Massachusetts

Neato!

That would be a "slag".

Called "Onyx" when they were made. Approx. age of manufacture for American machine-made slags: 1903 to 1930-ish.

Wow! You are quick!

How cool is that?

Many thanks for the ID .

Danielle

Someone recently brought me a marble of solid light blue color. I identified it as a game marble. He said that he had a few more, every one a different size. Now mystified, I asked where he got them. He said that he found them in a river bed behind his home in Copake, NY. My memory stretched back to the 1960s when a friend and I explored the Bash Bish Falls at the junction of NY, CT and MA. We had found a large amount of discarded slag glass in the river. The color of that glass was that of the marbles this guy had brought me some 40+ years later, and that river runs through Copake, NY. Does this qualify as River Glass Marbles?
    Dutch

Great story!

Seaglass (sea glass) aka beach glass (beachglass) can be from a water bank or shore. The key here is that is has been changed by the natural motions of the water environment. It will have a frosted, pitted and or smoothed or worn finish to it. Sometimes even the colors have been altered.

Much of my collection is from many years of beachcombing in New England and trading globally. Interesting enough the marbles from England, Hawaii, Nova Scotia and other areas are different from what I have seen here in New England. Yet whether the Great Lakes, a river bank or seaside they are indeed sea/beachglass.

Hope this helps!

Danielle Renee'

Love your all inclusive definition for sea glass. I hunted for it in the 1940s when we visited the seashore in Massachusetts and my sister-in-law in NH has various clear glass containers of seaglass in her windows. Needless to say I have seduced her with marbles! Whether sea glass, marbles, shells or exotic seeds each find holds a special place and remembrance in ones heart. David Chamberlain