How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Need info about a sphere machine

Hello all,
    i have a chance to buy what is said to be a marble making machine from an antique dealer .the machine is new , never used and asking $300.00.it has 2 motors and is a factory made machine made by the beacon company.the dealer says it is called the star sphere machine.does any one out there know anything about this machine .does it sound worth the investment .
    Thanks
    outiofround.
    :welcome: THANKS FOR THE HELP SOMETIMES I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!
    OUTOFROUND

Re: Need info about a sphere machine

Do you already have all the lapidery equipment to make a rock round enough to put into the machine. It must be nearly round to start or it will not stay in the grinding head. And the 2 motor type sre usually for spheres larger than playing size marbles. Peace,Galen

That price sounds a bit high to me, just my opinion....

S~

HELLO ALL,

Thanks Galen for the reply.sorry it took me this long to reply to your reply.not having seen this machine yet i am told by the antique dealer that the machine was given to him with a marble in it and still has said marble in it.the reason i would want this machine is not to make marbles from scratch but just to be able to polish and refurbish some of my own marbles.STEVE thanks for your re[ply also .what do you think the fair price for this 2 motor ,new machine should be & nice to hear from you .

DOUGLAS
    :welcome: THANKS FOR THE HELP SOMETIMES I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!
    OUTOFROUND

This link is cool...Joe posted it awhile back

http://www.covington-engineering.com...e_machines.htm
    As Always,
    Mark

I never had any sucess with the 2 head machine I had gotten. I can't say that I tried really hard, but it seems to me it doesn't really want to spin with only 2 heads.. Although i never had any good instructions with it, it might have been me..
    If the machine is new and the same covington I had, it is a good price, if you can get it to work..
    Joe

I guess I should've asked first what you were going to grind in the machine....If your looking to grind down stone then this topic is out of my league. If your looking for a "marble" machine then that machine is not what you need...You can get something much more adaptable for marbles....I also agree with Joe's comments, the 2-headers are troublesome..

PM me Douglas....I may have one available ;}

S~

Polisher Paul Here;
    Yes the three head machine is best for our size work.
    You can build your own or some are sold here on this site.
    I have built them in the past for the folks but don't have the time these days to build more.
    The attachment shows my latest for my own work.

My two cents worth,
    Way back when I attempted to recondition marbles using a two headed machine and was fairly successful. If you are going to use a two header you must have the time to spend to stay with the marble in the machine from start to finish. There will be times when the marble stops turning in all directions in the machine. When this happens you can get "donuts" on the marble and they will have to be removed. Galan has a very strong point in that you need some Lapidary equipment to really be serious about reconditioning marbles with a two header. I think you will be much better off and happier if you invest in a three header instead of a two header. I do believe that Pete has some for sale if you contact him. ----Leroy----