How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Indian rock/marble?      Share

Indian rock/marble?

found this one at a prehistoric Indian site. I've heard of Indian game balls that look kinda like this, but just wondering what you all thought.

Its pretty tiny too : /

Re: Indian rock/marble?

It looks like a clay/pottery type marble. There have been marbles found at Indian sites. Marlow Peterson has bagged some marbles - here is picture of them. They are not the same as yours but inidicate that they have been found.

thanks for the post/reply. Mine is really hard I almost dont think it is clay. Seems like a rock

Looks like stone to me and not clay
    Joe

Some bone/ivory ones show similar "crazing" patterns, maybe ballot box or something along those lines? Any evidence of a carved number?

nope no evidence of any carvings. I've always been real curious about this one since I've found it. I would love to find some info on it

try a better pic but im leaning stone....and remember there were usually whiteman settlements around most indian sites at one time
    A bird does not sing because he has an answer, he sings because he has a song.

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

As stated earlier rock balls(this looks like one to me)of all sizes have been found at Indian sites. it is believed one way they were made was by putting fairly round pebbles (rocks) into holes under a streams waterfall. The constant movement rounds the rock or pebble. Peace,Galen

glacier movement would be a more sensible explianation...i could prb go to the gravel yard and find lots of round stones dredged out of the river....the paleo people had skills in clay pots and knew how to shape stones by grinding...they could drill holes in many different hardness of rock usin sand and other stones....the theory of lettin water shape anything would take a long time ...the glacial pressure would be plausible...

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

Actually Duffy we did this as kids, and it worked (of course it was tough waiting for them to get perfectly round.

Tennessee Marble Mill

While Julia and I were in Tennessee in 1995 Bobby Fulcher took us to an old time music festival at the 'Museum of Appalachia'. When we were looking around the exhibits we came across an old sandstone rock which had a marble like hole in it.

The caption read "If one places a small rock in the hole in this stone, and if the large stone is under a waterfall, or rapid stream, then the small stone will 'bounce around' inside the hole, and after 3 months will be worn into a round marble."

There was also a jar of marbles that were made in the mill.

From the Marle Museum Pages scroll to the bottom for pics http://mm.bglances.com/1-04-03-00%20...0Tennessee.htm
    Last edited by lstmmrbls; 09-08-2009 at 01:06 PM.

interesting ideas. i've heard about the water thing before and have seen rocks that have become round due to this. This rock was found by an indiana mound in central indiana. Anyone have any ideas what something like this was used for that long ago.