How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Complete list of Mega Marbles Styles

Note this is only a spreadsheet tracking the named Mega Marbles that were offered in 24+1 nets. It is not a list of Vacor types, or Fabricas Selectas types.

Mega Marbles started as a US company that bought marbles from Vacor de Mexico and marketed them in the US as specific types packed 24 players to a net with one shooter under the trade name "Mega Marbles." Vacor later purchased Mega Marbles, and they became Vacor USA, but the name Mega Marbles persisted as a trade name. Later, Fabricas Selectas purchased Vacor de Mexico, and Vacor USA became FS USA. The 24+1 continued to be marketed as Mega Marbles. So when I say this is the production history for Mega Marbles, I mean it is the production history for the 24+1 nets sold under the Mega marbles trade name by Mega Marbles, then Vacor USA, then FS USA.

MM/Vacor USA/FS USA distributed many, many marbles produced in Mexico. Only specific types were distributed as Mega Marbles. They also produced numerous other assortments containing all kinds of color combinations not found in Mega Marble nets. If you are specifically looking for assorted Vacor/FS marbles, I would suggest you try their assortments, like pound of rounds, which will contain all kinds of marbles not found in Mega nets.

There is virtually an infinite variety of marbles that can be had. I like collecting Mega Marbles because my spreadsheet identifies a concrete quantity of types that can be found - there is a goal to reach.

Pete - here is a list of unopened bags of Mega Marbles I have. I bought these directly from the company about 10 years ago and they have been sitting in my closet all that time... Are these worth much?

Rich

Mega Marbles (Wichita, KS - Made in Mexico)

Agate (have 2)
    Banana Swirl
    Black Panther (have 2)
    Blue Dolphin (have 3 shooters)
    Blue Jay
    Blueberry Freeze
    Bumblebee
    Cardinal
    Cat’s Eye
    Cleary Assortment
    Comet
    Confetti
    Dragon
    Dragonfly
    Fiesta
    Galaxy
    Halloween
    Hurricane (have 2)
    Jungle
    Jupiter
    Liberty
    Mango Twist
    Meteor
    Michelangelo
    Milky Way
    Moody Buddies
    Mummy
    Neptune
    Octopus - clear
    Octopus - shiny
    Oily
    Old Fashion
    Orca
    Parrot
    Patriot
    Pearly
    Picasso
    Rainbow
    Raven
    Red Devil (have 2)
    Rooster
    Rumba
    Rustic marbles
    Serpent
    Smiley Buddies
    Snowflake
    Soapstone
    Spumoni
    Stardust
    Steely Torpedo
    Streamers
    Sunflower
    Surfing
    Tidal Wave
    Twister
    Van Gogh
    Volcano
    Wave Breaker (have 2)
    Wicked Owl

I'd say that $5 range max.

Al, per bag?..., geesh, I'm Rich!...

Yes, per bag. The only one that might have more value would be the Michelangelo if it had the early, really colorful types.

If more people begin collecting Mega Marbles, values could go up a bit. It's supply and demand. If the demand goes up, so will value. Supply is more or less fixed. I don't think anyone has info re: how many of each were distributed in the US, but my spreadsheet will tell you how long the marble was offered for, and when it was last offered. If a marble was made for a long time, it should be easier to find than one made for a short time.

Are you selling any of your bags?

Pete, that's an awesome spreadsheet! I had no trouble opening it, and I saved it on my computer too. I have net bags and cards of most of those types. I have a lot of the older types without nets/cards, that I got in jars and collectors cases of mixed mega Marbles. I actually have (and have posted a photo here) about a dozen Sunsets. I have some first-edition Picassos - those are among my favorites. I also have a bunch of the more recent Picassos - not quite as much color on those. I'll look and see if I have any net bags I'd want to sell or trade. I do have a few bags of Michelangelos - but they are the more recent ones, and not nearly as colorful as the first edition ones.

Do you know that there is a company in England now that is selling marbles made in China that are similar to Mega marbles, and being sold in net bags with cards, with names, just like Mega does? They have also started selling the Chinese hand-mades that have been around for years already, in net bags with cards and names. The hot-air-balloon types, and the swirls, and the polka dots, etc.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That is right, the production history is captured in an Excel file. Please let me know if anyone has trouble getting the file? To my knowledge, nobodyelse has made an effort to capture this info. Donna Senn at Fabricas Selectas (used to be Vacor USA, and Mega Marbles before then) gets an updated copy of this spreadsheet when I add to it, but I'd feel better if the collecting community also duplicates it. My fear is losing the info. I have spent hundreds of man hours compiling this info, and if It's lost, I don't think I could ever capture it all again as well as it is right here. I have all the source materials to do it, but like I said, it took a LOOOOOOONG time!

If I ever do lose it, I will look to Donna Senn to share her basckup, and if she can't I will hope someone here grabbed it. Actually, I guess I could always come back to this thread and get it myself....

In any case, please be my guest and download my findings. I've captured all the info about Mega Marbles styles that I wish we'd be able to get with some of the older companies like Akro and Peltier. Their original catalogs are probably as rare as hen's teeth, so doing the same for them would be near impossible. But doing it for MM was still within the realm of possibility, so I set my mind to do it, and I did a great job if I don't say so myself!

I would welcome the opportunity to have my work "proof read," so if anyone has questions, or spots a discrepancy, please let me know! I think my spreadsheet will be very helpful to those trying to put together a type set. It' makes it apparent why some types are so hard to find. If a style was made for only a few years (and some styles were produced only 1 or 2 years!) it will be tougher to get, especially if that time was long ago.

Sunset and Yellow Jacket are hard to get. So is the old arctic bear. It is certainly easier to find old Akros, Peltiers, etc. than it is to find these MM types!

I have built a type set, and am eager to build a 1" type set - that will be a LOT tougher. I'm in the market for old Megas if anyone has any to send. I am especially interested in out of production types. I will buy back old LandOfMarbles MM ID sets, or old unopened MM nets. If anyone has anything they want to sell, let's talk!

Some of the other older types would probably get you more than $5/bag on Ebay. If you do put them up for auction on Ebay or any other auction site (or want to sell them here), please let me know! There are some older types that I would love to have more of, or to have the net bag and cards for. For example, I don't think I ever had a net bag of the Green Parrots, although I have several of them from mixed collections. And if I ever had net bags of Streamers/Spaghettis, I don't have the cards anymore. I would love to get a bag of the older, colorful Michelangelos! I have a few, but not a net bag of them. I think the older Twisters were also more colorful - with lots of red and yellow, and less black. The Twisters I have are not so pretty - the swirls are much thinner and further apart.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Yes, per bag. The only one that might have more value would be the Michelangelo if it had the early, really colorful types.

Does anyone else here have any of the smaller Mega Marbles that were sold at Walmarts for a couple of years? They made a limited run of marbles that were just a bit smaller than the regular ones, and gave them cutesy first names, like "Rocky Rooster". The smaller Roosters were much prettier than the regular Roosters, because they had both clear and opaque red in them, as well as white. I would consider those to be highly collectible. (Who'd have thought Walmart would sell anything that could become collectible?!) I'll try to get around to digging those out of the jar they're in and get some photos one of these days.
    Linda

The Company on England was sued by Fabricas Selectas - they own the rights to distribute marbles packed as they do in the US - it's no coincidence, they purposefully copied FS' nets and are distributing throughout Europe. They have been trying to get me to rep them in the US. That would not be good for Mega Marbles, as the price point is much lower - too low for FS to compete with. The bags do look good, the header cards are very colorful, but once you get inside, the marbles are certainly of lesser quality. I found out at Toy Fair NYC this year that FS has sued them. They go by the name "King Marbles" so Marble King is suing them too. They also refer to a "Land Of Marbles" in their marketing. This guy is stepping on everyone's toes!

This guy is basically trying to get someone, anyone to rep him in the US. He tries to convince you to take a container of marbles (about $100K) at which point FS would be poised to attack, and whoever this guy convinces to do it will get the pants sued off them by FS, and it will be a loss - the marbles will have to be marketed somewhere other than the US - or at least repackaged before being offered.

I have been in talks with him for quite some time. I brought in some of the handmades, which I will sell as loosies.

Sunsets are another very highly desirable type of old Mega Marbles - made for only a brief time a while back. For those who also collect the header cards, no they have been redesigned again and again through the years. Initially, all the styles had the same header and only bore a different name for the marbleds on the back, but then they started producing unique header cards for each style. Several styles have been redesignedf multiple times - I've made no effort to keep track of that. The once had pretty cartoony header cards, but the most recent cards are photorealistic - I like them better. Sunset is probably so old, it never came in a net with a themed header card.

If anyone is looking to sell old Mega Marbles, I'm in the market - let me know what you have? I hope my spreadsheet prompts collectors to begin trying to put together a type set - that was one of my motivations - to promote collecting of Megas.

BTW, "First Run," or marbles made soon after they are introduced are often the best. Colors sometimes are changed later on (like T-Rex and Triceratops) or the use of vivid color is reduced in later production. The early marbles tend to be better than later. The collector nets might be the best examples to be found. Unfortunately they only started producing them in I think 2003 (I know 2004 for sure, maybe 2003).

hi all. i have many bags!! contact me!

Dani - they don't want to buy the bags under your eyes...,,

j/k

Rich

hello pete. i have been collecting vacor mega marbles since the 1990 and have put togather a collection of samples ( two or three of each style) of almost all the styles
    from the med to late 1990s through the currant styles for 2013. both 5/8th and the shooters size . but i still need a few styles such as a shooter atomic fireball and the type called glitter ( i may have some of the glitter and just not sure thay are the vacor or imperial ones). i do have a type i got from the uk on ebay that may be glitter type in five colors. these are white based with speck & spottes of ether green
    blue red yellow & black and just one color per marble with an irridesent finish. thay are like the vacor dalmations retired back in the late 1990s in the serface texture.
    i have yet to learn how to put pictures on the forum but hope to learn soon.

ron

FYI, every Chinese manufacturer makes "sesame marbles," as they call them (I guess after sesame seeds?) and most marbles out there come out of China. Personally, unless they came from Mega branded bags, I would not feel at all confident they are Mega.

Zaboo, I forget if we explored whether you could provide any of the styles I am missing - did we already do that?

Quote Originally Posted by lindaguitar View Post
    And if I ever had net bags of Streamers/Spaghettis, I don't have the cards anymore. I would love to get a bag of the older, colorful Michelangelos! I have a few, but not a net bag of them. I think the older Twisters were also more colorful - with lots of red and yellow, and less black. The Twisters I have are not so pretty - the swirls are much thinner and further apart. Linda
    Still trying to get info on whether this is a Twister. it actually has extremely dark amber base glass (really nice sample)...More discussion of it on this board can be seen by CLICKING HERE

-Chuck Jr.