How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Complete list of Mega Marbles Styles

The Header was Mega. I collect the headers as well as the marbles. I also used to be in contact with a Jennifer Jacobs at Mega and she sent me a spread sheet from '94 till '98 of all the marbles they sold. This was to get some info. I was missing on the history of styles. There is a listing in '96 for "Bloody", '94 "Glitter assortment", but no listing for the old Zebra or Red Baron. Jennifer did confirm that "Sparkle" was a white based Destroyer with an iridescent finish. I still don't know if it was ever a 24+1 net bag.
    Last edited by PhilDwin; 05-24-2011 at 08:55 PM.

can not seem to attach a picture. clicked on the manage attachments button and nothing happened. it says I can attach files at the bottom of the page but nothing happens.

According to my old catalogs, Stelaris was an early name for Stardust.

That's been my understanding as well......David

It was and it wasn't, kinda. I was told by Jennifer Jacobs at Mega that Stelaris has multi-colored frits on the surface (Green, Blue, Yellow, Red) When they changed the design to a single colored frit on the marble they changed the name to Stardust. She was passing on this information that she got from the factory because she hadn't been there very long and didn't know. She also admitted the factory kept lousy records. It was the same story she said about Glimmer and Sparkle marbles. Glimmer being the single colored frit and Sparkle being the multi-color one.

Right! Should have looked closer. In my factory set the 5/8" STELARIS are transparent clear with Yellow, Blue & Orange frit while the STARDUST are transparent clear with four kinds of single color frit(Red, Yellow, Green or Blue).

SPARKLE are semi-opaque white(maybe fully opaque) with multi-color frit on each marble being: Red, Lavender, Green and Yellow. In the factory set I have it's called GLITTER, not GLIMMER and they are like SPARKLE but with single colored frit being: Red, Green, Blue or Yellow.

David
    Last edited by dlcmib; 08-02-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Phil, after you click manage attachments and the new box opens in the top right corner it says add files. Click there. sure would like to see a pic of the early bags.

My bad, it is Glitter not Glimmer. On the Spreadsheet from Mega that I was sent they list Gitter Assortment but not Sparkle Assortment. That makes me think that Sparkle was never a 24+1 net, but that Glitter may have been. No new box opens up to add file when I click Manage attachments

Thanks for noting this Phil, I will update my records! I had noted Stelaris was offered from 1993-1996 as SKU 77582. Them, after disappearing for 2 years it resurfaced in 1999 as SKU 77679. Ron Garcia (ex-president if Mega Marbles) told me they were the same, just an older and newer name, but he's been wrong about a few things. He started me on this project, but some of his info turned out to be wrong, so I started relying on the catalogs to tell the story. I wonder if the old catalogs showed the difference between Stelaris and Stardust and I overlooked it? I'll have to look!

Would you sell any of those Stelaris bags Phil? I'm trying to pair this production history I've been working on with examples of all, and I need Stelaris. I'd be interested in some examples for my type set. Please let me know?
    Last edited by Pete; 08-02-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added content

As per my notes, Sparkle is "Opaque white base sprinkled with multicolor frit. Iridescent finish," and Glitter is "Opaque white base rolled in single color of frit; red, green, blue or yellow. Iridescent." They are vintage 1993-1994. In the 1993 catalog they are called Glitter and I noted "Monotone image appears to be only 1 color on white. Description says "Opal white marbles embedded with chips of stained glass to create a prism effect on the marble." The 1994 catalog shows Sparkle sprinkled with multi-color frit, and Glitter with single-color frit. The price sheet references Glitter only, with SKU 77579. In the catalog (which FS provided me with, to help with this project) there is a slash penned in after Sparkle, and they wrote in "Glitter." On the next page, they show Glitter, and the name is followed pen a handwritten slash, and the word "Sparkle," perhaps implying they treated them interchangeably at one time? 1995 shows "Glitter/Sparkle;" the shooter and two game marbles have multi-color frit, and the other 3 are single color frit - red, blue and yellow. In 1996, the catalog shows Glitter and Sparkle comingled and labeled as Glitter/Sparkle. Price list references Glitter 24+1 (77579)

Re: Sparkle,there is no mention of it in 1993. In 1994 it is shown in the catalog, but not referenced in the price sheet. As mentioned above, in 1995 and 1996 the catalog shows Glitter and Sparkle comingled and labeled as Glitter/Sparkle, but the price list references Glitter 24+1 as SKU 77579. Sparkle is never referenced in the price sheets, and I don't know of a SKU for Sparkle.

As per Ron, they were the same marble, but after combing through catalogs I decided to Identify them as 2 types, partly because I found a lot of discrepancy between what Ron said, and the catalogs, and it was easier to go with what the catalogs said than pester Ron forever...

Gotta let the maid clean my office right now so gotta go

Does anyone here know what year the Spumoni marbles were first introduced?

Spumoni was introduced in 1997 and offered continuously through 2010. In 2003 all of the then-current styles with food inspired names (such as candy and spaghetti) were renamed in an effort to reduce the chances of a child choking on the marble after putting it in their mouths. I guess they thought the names were asking for trouble. Spumino is a frozen molded Italian desert, but for same reason they determined a name charge was not warranted. Spumoni is an opaque marble, yellow base swirled with red and blue. It has an iridescent finish.

I have originals of every catalog from 1993 to date, and have determined the production history for every mega marble 24+1 net. I just recently updated it. The current version is the most complete collection of this information available. Many of the catalogs came right from them - they didn't have this info themselves, I provided it to them, and now they are eager to assist me in keeping it current. The only thing missing from it right now are some pics, which will be added in due time.

I attached the current version.

a ".xls" file opens up using Excell

That is right, the production history is captured in an Excel file. Please let me know if anyone has trouble getting the file? To my knowledge, nobodyelse has made an effort to capture this info. Donna Senn at Fabricas Selectas (used to be Vacor USA, and Mega Marbles before then) gets an updated copy of this spreadsheet when I add to it, but I'd feel better if the collecting community also duplicates it. My fear is losing the info. I have spent hundreds of man hours compiling this info, and if It's lost, I don't think I could ever capture it all again as well as it is right here. I have all the source materials to do it, but like I said, it took a LOOOOOOONG time!

If I ever do lose it, I will look to Donna Senn to share her basckup, and if she can't I will hope someone here grabbed it. Actually, I guess I could always come back to this thread and get it myself....

In any case, please be my guest and download my findings. I've captured all the info about Mega Marbles styles that I wish we'd be able to get with some of the older companies like Akro and Peltier. Their original catalogs are probably as rare as hen's teeth, so doing the same for them would be near impossible. But doing it for MM was still within the realm of possibility, so I set my mind to do it, and I did a great job if I don't say so myself!

I would welcome the opportunity to have my work "proof read," so if anyone has questions, or spots a discrepancy, please let me know! I think my spreadsheet will be very helpful to those trying to put together a type set. It' makes it apparent why some types are so hard to find. If a style was made for only a few years (and some styles were produced only 1 or 2 years!) it will be tougher to get, especially if that time was long ago.

Sunset and Yellow Jacket are hard to get. So is the old arctic bear. It is certainly easier to find old Akros, Peltiers, etc. than it is to find these MM types!

I have built a type set, and am eager to build a 1" type set - that will be a LOT tougher. I'm in the market for old Megas if anyone has any to send. I am especially interested in out of production types. I will buy back old LandOfMarbles MM ID sets, or old unopened MM nets. If anyone has anything they want to sell, let's talk!

Thanks for the updated spreadsheet, Pete. I have copied it onto my computer (as well as the previous one). It's nice that Wichita is keeping track. I don't think Fabricas has anything down in Guadalajara from when I was there a couple years ago - no history at the plant.