How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Complete list of Mega Marbles Styles

I am starting to lean towards CAC
    CACs make me smile, Galen

Twisters were opaque red and opaque yellow in an opaque black base. It is not a Twister. Twisters were made by Vacor De Mexico. Mega Marbles, an American company that imported marbles made by Vacor De Mexico, sold them under the name Twister. Twister is not a Vacor name. This might still be a Vacor/FS marble, just not one that was marketed under the Mega brand. Vacor De Mexico made many, many varieties of mavbles, many of them not marketed under a particular name.

There are Mega Marbles, which are the series of marbles made in Mexico, and imported to the US and repacked in 24+1 nets for the US market, and then there are Vacor/FS marbles. They include the Megas, plus oodles of others they made and shipped world-wide.

Vacor de Mexico has made marbles sincle the 40's. Mega Marbles is an American company that started importing VDM marbles to repack into nets and sell in the US. VDM later bought MM, and renamed MM "Vacor USA." Later Fabricas Selectas bought Vacor de Mexico, and Vacor USA, and VDM is no more, although collectors seem tol want to keep referring to FS marbles as VDM. Vacor USA became FS USA.

Through all of this, the name "Mega Marbles" was retained as a trade name, so whatever the parent company was called, the Mexican made marbles brought into the US to be repacked has always been labeled at "Mega Marbles." It is these US imports specifically that I concern myself with collecting.

There have been a distinct # of Mega Marble varieties. In contrast, there have been untold quantities of different Vacor/FS types, many of them unnamed. The same type may be sold under numerous different names in different countries. There is really no complete list of all the types. So I don't pay a lot of attention to VDM/FS mibs - MM appeal to me because there is a distinct quantity of types that have been produced. It is quite difficult to put together a complete set, even though none are more than 20 years old.

Of particular note to MM type collectors, are the seasonal nets currently being offered; santa, angel, snowman and Lump of Coal. I have these on LOM now, but I don't know if they will ever be offered again. Maybe only at Christmas time? MM collectors, take note! We only bought a few cases of each and don't plan to buy more.

Thanks Galen and Pete, I will be sure to note these things if I attempt to sell the marble again .....Since I dont know for sure which Company made it...I will leave the option for the buyer to decide.....I Luv the oddballs!
    -Chuck Jr.

chuck, if it helps your determination on that one, here's a pic each of 3 different Vacors, along with a row of CACs. ... Roger

The black red(br-red)yellow combo in CACscomes in four different base glasses that make the black. From a fairly transparent deep amber, dark red brown, brown and a fairly true opaque black

Quote Originally Posted by zaboo View Post
    hi all. i have many bags!! contact me!
    hello do you have any of the vacor glitters availible ether 5/8 or one inch as singles or in a bag. i would like to get at lest one each of all colors thay came in.

ron

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    FYI, every Chinese manufacturer makes "sesame marbles," as they call them (I guess after sesame seeds?) and most marbles out there come out of China. Personally, unless they came from Mega branded bags, I would not feel at all confident they are Mega.

Zaboo, I forget if we explored whether you could provide any of the styles I am missing - did we already do that?
    thanks for the info. the sesames are an id problem . i know i have the real vacor stardust as i got them in the bag with header card . i need to find the real vacor glitter and know thay are the real thing . finding a bag of them will be hard at best.

ron

here are some pics. of the mexican (fabricas selecta or who ever is making them) marbles being sold at toys r us in 24+1 nets.
    the style called oceana the mermaid is different from any mega types i have seen
    and another style named aurora the unicorn appears to be a little different as well.they are smaller then the mega marbles types sold in the 24+1 nets about 13 to 14mm & 21mm for the shooter. on the back of the card is reads
    made in mexico/hecho en mexico por: GLASFERMA S.A. de C.V. Guadalajara, Jalisco. CP.44940 100%Glass.
    i had megas earlyer on this post but that was wrong. pete informed me on that as the mega name is not found on the card. thanks for the corect info pete. the other styles appears just like know mega styles.

ron
    Last edited by RonVacor; 01-29-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Those aren't Mega Marbles! I don't see a source on the labeling - is there one?

On the reverse, it has Made in Mexico, GLASFIRMA S.A. de C.V., Guadalajara, Jalisco, C.P. 44940

GLASFIRMA S.A. DE C.V. Calle 8 #1034 Zona Industrial, Guadalajara Jal. Mex. | Tel. (0052 33) 3540 1700.

It is interesting that GLASFIRMA, on their website, has the Vacor name and also the Pagaso (or Payaso) name, which are also part of the Fabricas Selectas / Mega "group".

Pete, you might check with your contact at Mega in Wichita and find out the relationship between GLASFIRMA and Fabricas Selectas. Maybe they brought them also at the same time they bought Vacor.

I looked at the street view picture of GLASFIRMA through Google and it is not the same building that I visited in Guadalajara when I toured the Fabricas Selectas factory.

I think Glasfirma and Fabricas Selectas are the same. Maybe the parent company in Mexico has decided to use the idea without branding them Mega Marbles...they do own the idea, I guess. I haven't heard back from FS yet...

at a flea meket today i seen a marble, almost 2". it was white based but it was not opaque. it was "swirly" white and had a brownish-purple swirl on it. the white was way more dominant than the swirl was. but it was around most of the marble. could this be a mega or a handmade. not many places have ever spit out a marble of this size.

Mexican marble IMO.

HI everybody,

Greetings from France.

I'm having a hard time trying to get a Mega style collection together. Would anyone be looking to get rid of some overstock nets, or even spare marbles? I would definitely be interested by most of the retired styles.

Let me know

Best regards

Didier

Hey Mega Marble collectors:
    I am positive that Mega once produced marbles that were called either "Christmas" or "Christmas Tree". I remember buying a bag of them, and I'm almost positive that I got them from Land of marbles. They are a white base, with red and green swirls. I know where some of those marbles of mine are (in a wine bottle, mixed with dozens of other types of Mega marbles - if I really had to, I could dump them all out to get out the Christmas ones for a photo). But I can't find the card that came on the bag. And I can't find any photos or mention of that type anywhere online. They're not listed in any of the Land of Marbles lists, or any other lists.
    Does anyone have a photo of a bag of those marbles, with the card? I can't understand why I can't find any mention of that type!
    Linda