How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can't start new threads      Share

Can't start new threads

I can't start a new thread in Round Table or iD Forum - haven't tried the others. I click on the + New Thread box and get a screen but can't type anywhere on it????? The screen does not have any submit button or any place to try attachments, etc. Is there some other place to click?

Re: New board

By the way, when I click on he 'Go Advanced', I get the same type of screen and cannot type or anything.

Re: New board

What browser are you using? If anyone reading these is having this problem (and are able to post here to tell me about it!), please do. I just tried and I can do it no problem.

Am a little in the weeds. As soon as caught up, will investigate...

Re: Can't start new threads

I use AOL Browser, same as I have for years. So, I checked using the IE Browser and the Firefox Mozilla Browser and it looks like they work fine. I know AOL sometimes creats problems for some websites. I know the Portland Trailblazers website a few years back would not work using the AOL Browser but they (Blazers) did something so their website was compatible with AOL. Maybe you can check with 'your people' to see what can be done? Thanks.

Will definitely do that - anyone else having this same problem? Can't start a new thread using the AOL browser?

I got some feedback on this issue at the vB forum. The first reply was:

"I didn't even know that AOL still had a browser, but according to wiki... :P

Their page (http://browser.cdn.aol.com/customie8/aol/download.html) also is basically a front for IE8, which they signed a contract with to use the same engines as IE8 did... So it should work fine, unless he's using some ridiculously out of date version.

Ask him when he last upgraded. "

ANOTHER REPLY:

"AOL Browser?
    Sorry but AOL in itself is bad but using an AOL browser which is nothing more than added **** on top of IE means your user almost deserves to have problems. Yeah, I know that isn't the answer but hey, be a great forum owner and expert and advise them that they should upgrade to something a bit more user friendly."

AND THE 3RD REPLY:

"You need to be more specific. What happens when the user click on New thread?

Typically you will wan the user to clear their cache and cookies first."

Soooo...can you try clearing your cache and cookies first? If still a problem, can you make sure you are using the latest version of the browser? Finally, the solution may lie in using a different browser. I used IE for years, but there are known issues with IE8, the latest version.l Personally, I was unable to use certain features at sites I use after switching to IE8 from IE7. There was no way to roll back, so I abandoned IE and started using mozilla FireFox - just Google "Mozilla Firefox download" to find the link to install it. You'd connect like usual with AOL, but once connected, you can click the FireFox desktop icon and browse with that browser. I love it because FireFox remembers all your passwords at different sites, which saves time for me (My password list is pages long!) and it is also faster serving up content than IE8 was. If I open IE8 by accident, I know right away because it's slower and when I encounter my first password prompt it's never filled. Closing IE8 and opening Firefox which will prefill the password is faster than referencing my hard copy password list, it's great. I will never go back.

LOL - then your old Forum set-up must have been as antiquated as AOL! I have the latest AOL browser so that's not an issue. I sent you an email that has screen pics of the pages that come up when I try to start a new thread or go advanced. As I mentioned I have tried IE and Firefox Mozilla and both of those do work for LOM's new board. So, I can see what is supposed to be there for those two pages. If you have the email, you can see that the page outline, etc. is there but all of the subject, text, buttons, etc. do not show. Strange? I did clear my cache, history, cookies ,etc. a couple of times so...? A challenge for your 'people' or you can just let it go. I don't like to switch browsers just for one website but obviously I can do that easily enough. I have too many favorites, etc. on my other browser to try to change over permanently. What's interesting over the years that I have used AOL is that while I keep hearing horror stories about AOL with other people, I have had great results with only a small issue maybe once per year.

OK...so you intend to keep using the AOL browser then? Will it interfere with modding? I've been swamped this past week, I didn't look at the screen shot in my effort to plow through the backlog. If the forum is OK in FireFox /IE then I'm going to concentrate on other issues, but I do find this bothersome!

I can still do modding, no problem. If I have to go to the Moderator Forums, I'lll use IE or Mozilla. They don't show up when I'm using AOL. Maybe that's a key for the programmers? Anyway, just put the AOL situation at the bottom of your pile. By the way, I did this post above to see if I could still delete posts, etc. using AOL and I can do that. It shows the moderation tools button. But not the Forums.

OK, sorry to abandon ye, but I've got bigger fish to fry. The consensus over at vB is that AOL should be shot down upon sight, but I can't make people use the browsers they prefer. I can understand that it's never been a problem for you before, so why change? Hopefully a future upgrade will address your issue.

Actually, I did install a bug patch...are you still seeing this issue?

Al, are you still having this problem? Is anyone else?

Still same problem with starting a new thread or trying to 'Go Advanced' on a reply. Works fine if I use Firefox or iE.

K, I know to you it seems like everthing is fine until you come to my forum, but from here it looks like everyone is fine until you come along I'm gonna side with the vB techs that this is a browser issue and not a vB issue. I'm sure you aren't the only one using the AOL browser, and nobody else has said anything, so maybe there is a fix that has yet to be applied to your configuration? I dunno - it irks me cause you're a mod for crying out loud, if anyone is having trouble, it shouldn't be you, but I can't seem to do anything about it but apologize...sorry

Al, you can move your favorites etc to most of the other browsers with very little effort. I went to Google chrome and have had very few problems. I also use Firefox, Opera and use IE when absolutely necessary