How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Good Friday at Tinsley Green

Good Friday is coming up. That means marbles at Tinsley Green. I just got a great book written by Sam McCarthy-Fox about the games, Good Friday Marbles: Tinsley Green and More. (Thank you Sam!)

I also heard from Debra Stanley-Lapic - National Marbles Champ 1973 and proud mom of Whitney (NMC 2009). They're going to be playing in the games . . . and visiting with Sam. :-) Debra has played there before. She won as part of the American team in 1993. This year it will just be Debra and Whitney from the U.S. so they'll be playing on a British team.

AND they're playing Jabo ambassador. They have a 25 pounds of Jabos to share with teams from other countries. They're having to split them up between the whole family's luggage so they won't be over the weight limit. LOL

Check out this article about Whitney in the Reading Eagle, Marbles champ follows mom's international path. There are 3 pix in the article, one of Whitney and Debra - and two of Jabos - Jabos lying in thick white sand. That appears to be a big difference between marbles here and there - playing in thick sand. Check it out.

Re: Good Friday at Tinsley Green

Good article - thanks for sharing. Good luck to Whitney! Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun, too. That 'oatmeal' type sand is something else. That would be tough to play on. I don't think I read about that in prior articles (or I just missed it). Here's a pic of her practice marbles bunched up on the sand - ID's?
    Last edited by Al; 04-01-2010 at 03:46 PM.

I see at least one or two Jabos and maybe an Akro and a Champion : ). Totally different game played in sand ,with almost four times as many marbles ,seems like they should play both ways .Hope she wins ! Wonder what type / color(s) her shooter is ?

Even more recognition. It's great! This one was a segment on TV news.

Check out the video. There's a few seconds of sharp marble action which left me wanting to see more. Plus a touching interview. Very sweet.

Action News 6abc.com

Not kidding about wanting to see more marble play. It's like magic. Now you see the marble, now you don't. And that spin? Wow.

It was a great time in England and our trip to Paris afterwards. I'm glad we got home just a few days before all the ash cloud and flight cancellations !!
    As for the marbles in the photos, they are all Jabo's. These are the marbles we use in our local school tournaments. The kids love the variety of colors.
    The shooters we used were a Tennessee Flint that was made specifically to my size at the Roley Hole tournament in 1993. My daughter used an black bullseye agate that she used in the Nationals in 2007. We would never use the agates we won the National Championship with because of the "kill rule". If your shooter is left in the middle of the ring, it can be targeted by one of the other 6 team members. So we use a solid (agate or flint) shooter than can take a hit by another players shooter. Glass or even sometimes agate has been know to break or chip. It was a great tournament and hope someday to return !!
    Last edited by mibsterwon; 04-20-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Thank you for the reply ,interesting to know what shooters the top players in the world use( imo) ,congrats to you and your daughter for doing so well !

Debra sent me a coupla photos to post for her. (She's had trouble trying to post pix and it's my pleasure to do it. :-)

(click to enlarge)

Here's her description for the first photo.

These are the shooters that we use.....the middle one is the one that I used to win the National Championship in 1973...you can see the wear on it and the chips......the black bullseye at about 8 o'clock is the one that Whitney used in England and the flint at about 2 o'clock is the one I used in England.
    And for the second:

This is the shooter that Whitney won the national championship with . I purchased it from Jack Hahn....aka The Marble Man. It was "love at first shot", lol. It was the perfect shooter for her !!

Thanks for the pictures ,some of those sure have been played hard ! I like those agates ! Is the blue one a bennington?