How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Newbie, I have some German marbles to evaluate

Hello, I have some antique German (I was told) handmade clay and glass marbles. The large green one has a very small chip and the sparkly one has a very large chip. The blue and white one is excellent, no chips. The clay ones are in very good to excellent shape. I have more photos on a photobucket page under my same screen name for more angles, etc. I need the value please because I am going to offer them for sale or trade and I want to be honest. They need to go to a good home. Thank you.

Re: Newbie, I have some German marbles to evaluate

1 & 2. Hand made German Benningtons, clay, minimal value.
    3 & 4. German hand made Mica (if there are flakes inside the glass), with the chip no value.
    5. Newer American Patch (MK?), no value.
    6. West Virginia Swirl, could have been made by any of a number of companies, minimal value.
    Dutch

Hello Dutch and thank you for the response. So I can learn, I would like to know the following. When you say the green and the blue swirl shooters are newer and could have been made by a number of companies, I wonder, did American companies make asymmetrical marbles? Both marbles in question are not close to being spherical like machine made marbles.

They were made asymmetrical by mistake, Richie. So many machine mades this late were made that they loaded buckets with snow shovels. Quality control was impossible.
    Keep searchin' - you'll find some goodies out there.
    Dutch

Thanks, Dutch. I will put them up for auction, I just don't want to misrepresent them. At least I know the 21 small brown, 20 small blue, and four shooter benningtons have some value. I'm not looking to make money, sometimes I will buy something in order to research it and learn something, then sell it or trade it so I don't become a hoarder. Although I appreciate glass art in all of its forms, I am a passerby in this realm of collecting. That's why I say I will find them a good home.

I will include some more views of the blue and green swirls for further evaluation and possible second opinions. I'm fine with them having minimal value but I find it hard to understand how they could be machine made. When I compare them to known machine made marbles, they look and feel remarkably different. If they are indeed machine made, then I'm afraid that I might be too crude to tell the difference.

Not crude, just inexperienced. That green one, on second view, might be a Marble King Rainbow (old but still minimal value). If it is it has green patch, white circle around the marble, green circle around the marble, then a white patch.
    Dutch

richie

The marbles shown, the green & blue are indeed machine made.

Remember they were made form molten glass.

when they went thru the rollers, they were hot molten glass.

when they went into the bucket at the end of the line,
    they may not have cooled enough to keep the sphereical shape.
    Thus out of round marbles were produced. during the sorting process
    some of the seconds made it to the public.

Also many many marbles have been dug at marble sites
    a lot were rejects,

hope this helps?

marblemiser

Thanks marblemiser,

It does help me understand, although I will need to see many, many more before I can better spot a handmade glass marble. I like to learn, so I do appreciate the feedback from you and dutch.