How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Floral Frogs - Where can I find them?

Most people seem to use clear glass or acrylic floral frogs as stands for displaying/photographing small marble lots. I've seen some for sale on ebay, but wondering if anyone knows where to find them locally these days, particularly near Denver.

I'd love to hear any other ideas people have for alternatives to floral frogs as well. I'm looking to sort a large lot of vintage marbles into small lots of 10-20 to photograph.

Thanks!

Re: Floral Frogs - Where can I find them?

Quote Originally Posted by CUBuff98 View Post
    Most people seem to use clear glass or acrylic floral frogs as stands for displaying/photographing small marble lots. I've seen some for sale on ebay, but wondering if anyone knows where to find them locally these days, particularly near Denver.

I'd love to hear any other ideas people have for alternatives to floral frogs as well. I'm looking to sort a large lot of vintage marbles into small lots of 10-20 to photograph.

Thanks!
    Florist's shops sometimes have them --

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

I see them in almost every antique store I visit.

The last reply is right on. I started buying these up in St. Louis maybe 2 years ago, now have over 20. If you check local antique shops, and flea markets, they will show up. And if you wait, booths will have sales, and you can sometimes pick these up for as little as a couple bucks each. I've paid as much as $6 for one, but I am now in the $2-$4 mode, and can still find them as of late 2011. So the deals are still there. I use them mostly for showing, have a 75 gallon aquarium that I show them in using the frogs, and they work nicely. So don't give up! Even if you've checked an antique mall, new ones show up all the time, and not all are as high priced as Ebay can be.

Intrepid Cat's Eye Hunter tnbar's Avatar

Started gathering frogs a number of years ago to display marbles and now have somewhere around 30 or so. These have been aquired mostly from antique malls, coop's and even some from garage sales. I have always seen them in coops. Pricing can vary from 1.00 to 5.00 dollars. They also come in a wide variety of sizes. But this past summer I came across a garage sale that had a lot of hunting and guns in general This person loaded their own shells and was selling a box of 6 wooden holders for bullets. They are making some real nice marble holders. I have added some pics some so you can see. Each one holds 50 marbles.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A wood marble sta&.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	89219   Click image for larger version

Name:	A wood marble sta&.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	89220  
    Thanks
    Terry:

Wow, I like that! I haven't seen anything like that, guess I need to get out more! I'm not so impressed with photographing marbles on the glass frogs, so do they photograph okay on the wood? Or have you tried it yet? My photography skills are about nill it seems, so still working on how to get them "right".

They should work better for pics as the glare factor from the glass is gone. I may have to try if the sun comes out again. My best photos come from taking a pic on a grey sweatshirt with no stand. Marbles dont roll away and there is a neutral background. Close to a window with sunlight but not direct sunshine.
    Thanks
    Terry:

I will have to give that a try. My only shot outside was in direct sunlight and the photo's were not good. Actually too dark if that's possible. I'll have to experiment some more. Thanks for the suggestions.

Here is a picture I took of some JABOS On the wood. Or I think that is who made them I am not 100%. Taken close to a patio sliding door. Using the sunlight not Direct sunshine.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AA #763 JABOS wood&#.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	89274   Click image for larger version

Views:	80
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	89275   Click image for larger version

Views:	82
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	89276  
    Last edited by tnbar; 01-20-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    Thanks
    Terry:

Those are pretty darn good. I can see a lot of detail. I just have to do some more experimenting. I do like the storage idea, wood is a nice touch. I'll keep working on the photo's.

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

gotta ask, is a coop a co-op antique stoor or what?
    CACs make me smile, Galen

Galen it is an Antique Co-op Very popular in my neck of the woods. We have one near me that has 1000 booths or cabinets in one building.
    Thanks
    Terry: