How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Slag?...&...vitro or akro?

OK, a couple of mibs ( @ new slang gained) here. The first I'm sure is a slag but I'm not quite sure how to tell them apart except of course for the no. 9 slags, and some others that are recognizable. Any info on determining type's of slags will be greatly appreciated. Size is just under 5/8's.
    The second one I'm really unsure of, I want to say vitro but I keep thinking akro for some reason. Not sure why, maybe for the colors. I looked at some vtro tri-lites but it doesn't look right to me. Whadaya think? Size is just under 5/8's.

Re: Slag?...&...vitro or akro?

Hi,

The first one is an Opaque Swirl but I don't know who made it. It isn't a slag. Very good chance that your second marble is in fact an Akro Patch. David

Looks like a transparent (translucent) swirl ,possibly Alley and and Akro Patch IMO.

Thank you David!! Thats what I remember reading about was that an akro patch is a cork that didnt screw.... or something like that. I'll see if I can find some comparable pics to look at.
    So then, what makes a slag a slag? Are there any articles or websites that anyone can recommend I check out to learn about slags?

Go to Joe Street's website: joemarbles.com and take a look at the Akro slags, Christensen slags, Peltier slags, etc. I think he provides descriptions as well as good pictures.

Occasionally Akro Agate corkscrews did not cork properly and wound up being a patch of sorts but Akro made enough patches that it is well documented that they were regular runs.
    I had a tray of them out during my previous post just matching up your second marble with some of mine.

I'll not attempt to draw a picture of what a slag is. Probably best for you to view some bonafide ones from various marble companies first. David

There is a search box that you can type key words into at the top right of the page. You usually can get all the information you can handle using this method

I agree with David & Galen. Although Vitro did make a similar Tri-Lite/Elite that is pictured below. (photo originally posted by Edna/sissydear).

This is definitely an opinion but I think that the Vitro patches outclass the majority of the Akro patches. David

Lookin at those vitro's that Ponkochan posted I'd have to agree with David on that, although vitro did produce some really ugly marbles. As far as the slag thing goes I'm really looking forward to the marble show in Portland, so I can get my hands on some old stuff and try to get the "look and feel" of them. Thanks guys!!