How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Threaded View

help with value and ID of course

Hello all, I'll start by saying these are not my marbles. They belong to my father in law and was wondering what they might be worth, so I said I'd try to get a rough idea for him. He sells quite a lot of misc. things on ebay (mostly antiques) and he's not really interested in learning about marbles, so I'm going through his jar. I'll start with a few and if I pick out more I think might be worth it I'll put them up at a later date in this same thread, unfortunately most of the nice ones are badly damaged. First I believe is a pelt peerless and is app. 10/16".

Re: help with value and ID of course

Next up is an interesting swirl that I just cant seem to put a name on. It is app. 5/8"

next is a china that is in pretty rough shape,big though, it is app. 1-3/8" .
    K, thats it for now, thanks everybody!!

#1 is a Peltier Peerless Patch (with some hits $2-$5)
    #2 is a Slag, I'm thinking CAC ($5-$20 depending on condition)
    #3 Worn out china as stated. (What ever you can get, LOL)
    As Always,
    Mark

I thought it might be cac, looking at pictures they seemed to give me the most pause in similarity. Thanks Mark, and the slag does have a few hits on it.

#1 and #2 ditto. Not seeing CAC in those colors but if it is CAC with those colors I'd weigh in at a higher price, say $35 David

You are right, I didnt see much in color similarity but doesnt the pattern look like cac. Not to say its a turkey swirl but it does kind of have that look to it.

Agreed sorta! David

Is that 'oven brick' in the slag or chips?

I think that last China is a pretty nice one and from what I see could be the most interesting in the bunch

I couldn't imagine a value over 10 dollars for the blue one. Probably less as it has several fair sized moons on it.

Yeah, I didn't consider damage at all. My valuation was based on it being mint. Taking a closer look at the marble it is definitely in trouble. All it takes is one nick, moon, fracture, whatever and you can kiss a marble goodbye. David

I agree with Galen about the value.

Just to give you and idea of what slags are' worth'.......here are a few others that sold recently. (Keep in mind that some of these aren't even CA slags. )

Of course, if you have one with lots of eye appeal or a hard to find color.................different story.

Here's what I believe to be a CA slag and as you see, it sold for $4.99. (Although I'm not sure if it's not an MFC. Usually I can tell the CACs by the seams, "road and tunnel" design or "ear" pattern.

Here's the link to the one that I thought was similar to yours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marbles-M-F-Chri...item2c5c4cb111

Marble Alan doesn't usually list slags separately unless they are really different or very nice. Here's a grouping of various makers' mixed swirls & slags that he sold. They sold for only $36. This was his description:

This lot, A MARBLE CONSIGNMENT, consists of 34 assorted marbles (ca. 1905-1960s) which measure between 15/32" (12 mm) and 47/64" (19 mm). Their condition is variable, though many if not most appear to be in the Mint range. They include 20 "Slags" (many hand-gathered) from Akro Agate, Christensen Agate, and M.F. Christensen, two Marble King "Bumblebees," three Peltier "Rainbos," an Akro Agate or Vitro Agate "Patch," a German "Striped Transparent," and seven assorted "Swirls." Marble Alan
    Click on link below:

This is the link to the above listing where you can view a larger image.

Click on link below:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Marbles-34-ASSOR...item519902b69f

Now here's an example of a very nice 11/16" slag (I believe to be MFC) with lots of eye appeal and it sold for $57.76 by "windjet".

Click on link below to listing of above marble:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Marbles-MINT-11-...tem35b1c9e662]

Last but not least, here's a gallery of photos that show CA slags that were taken from MarbleAlan listings. No values included............but it gives an idea of construction traits common to many CA marbles, including slags. (The ebay listings below are from random sellers and aren't necessarily what they purport to be. )

Click on link below:
    http://www.marblesgalore.com/gallery.../slags/page/2/
    Last edited by ponkochan; 05-17-2011 at 04:40 PM. Reason: To correct order of URLs and to add one.

Wow, there is nothing like that in these marbles. I think he'll probably end up having to sell them as a mostly damaged lot, with maybe a few close ups of some of the nicer, not so damaged swirls. Maybe I'll throw a few pics of those up to see what you all think. Cloudy, rainy weather right now and I don't have a light set up. -James

Not really sure # 2 is a slag. First thing I thought when I saw it was "Champion." Think I'd need bigger pics, maybe.

Not much value to the china because of condition.

Bigger pix? They're 800 pixels wide. Are you seeing the whole thing?

er, was that humor?