How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

were these worth 4 dollars?

so I got these from ebay, no discription except the auction said they were "vintage", I emailed the seller and she said they are very old. I figured for 4 dollars ehh why not? .. all are dinged up, some much worse than others, 2 have big cracks with chips and one has a pretty visible mark from when it was made.

1st pic is of what I think are the best 2, the last pic is of all 10.. they are about an inch (i can get the exact size if need be)

the pic of 8 are the not so good ones. I was a little disappointed when I got them, but what can I expect for 4 bucks, right? hehehe

any info on them and their um...worth LOL

thanks everyone
    Last edited by filly; 05-19-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Re: were these worth 4 dollars?

Not in my opinion. The look like Jabo marbles and have no real value in that condition

I agree with Galen. When I first started collecting years ago, I bought a lot of several hundred similar Jabos (advertised as "vintage marbles" and paid about $30 for them. At that time, quality control at Jabo was not very good...........nor was their packing methods. They were rolled into tubs, as soon as they came off the rollers so a good bit of the damage occurred then. One of the key identifying clues ath that time, was the presence of little "hit marks" marring the surface. There were lots of "cold rolls marks/creases), etc.

Below is a quote from Marble Alan's archived website from about 10 yrs. ago. Some of the information is out-dated and the recent "special runs" weren't even in existence at the time.

IDENTIFICATION TIPS

The only Jabo-Vitro marbles that are truly of any interest to collectors are their limited run swirls, called "Classics" by the company. These come in a bewildering array of color combinations, though some of the combinations are restricted in quantity to fewer than 50,000 marbles. It would be virtually impossible to catalog all the different color combinations, though a representative sample can be seen below in the Jabo-Vitro Gallery.

Jabo-Vitro swirls can often be easily identified by the tiny white hit marks that very often can be seen on the marbles. This is a result of the soft glass being bruised as the marbles fall down the chutes from the machinery into the collection bins.

Most Classics are around 5/8" in size, though some are as small as 1/2" and some as large as 1". Many of the swirl patterns form "U"s and "V"s reminiscent of early Vitro Agate marbles, and poorly defined "turkey" swirls are often present. Jabo-Vitro swirls can often be differentiated from the swirls by other companies not only by these characteristics but by the glass. Quite often, the glass is fluorescent and may glow either orange or yellow. The colors, too, are distinctive, and are usually not opaque but rather are transparent or translucent. Sometimes the glass will have a milky or cloudy appearance. The colors often swirl deeply inside the base glass, though frequently they sem to be brushed on the surface.

Once a collector has seen a few Jabo-Vitro marbles, he/she will be able to tell immediately whether or not a marble is by that company. However, many new collectors mistake these marbles for older, and much more expensive, marbles by companies such as Christensen Agate.
    If you would like to read a little more and view some photos of Jabos, here's the link to the old site, from which I copied the above quoted text.
    http://replay.web.archive.org/200105...alan.com/jabo/

The value of my lot was from the opportunity for me to become intimately familiar with the colors, glass & patterns. I have since given most of them away to new collectors so that they have the same opportunity. The others I've given to kids just because they like marbles!

I'm curious.....did the seller say anything about condition? Hopefully you do not let this transaction disillusion you because you could as easily have scored with your $4. Wonders never cease! But in the future buy condition and what you like, also buy within your means(I guess you don't have to worry about the latter suggestion with this lot!). David

nope nothing about the condition. partly my fault tho, I could see some of the spots on them but was hopeful I could possibly get something good. the woman had a basic pic offering 10, but she had 5 sets of 10, i asked about the condition and all she said was they were very old and i would be happy with them. its no big deal, cant hurt to try.

thanks again everyone. this website is wonderful, so many of you are very knowledgable, I truly appreciate everyones help.

Yeah......too many sellers of marbles on eBay have no idea what they have and no conception as to what constitutes damage although with this lot you'd have had to have been a blind seller with no finger sensitivity. You should send them back just on principle! It would be a cathartic experience! Like going out and buying stuff when you've experienced a loss or had something stolen. It's called retail therapy. David

she did offer a refund, including shipping and handling both ways, but I thought it seemed petty.. ?

You're right. Just steer clear in the future or reach some understanding re. condition. David

And you could probably get close to fifty of those marbles for 4 bucks if you shopped around