How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

?Master/Vitro? cant figure it out

Hi everyone, haven't been around for awhile. been kinda busy with other things. I got a jar of marbles out of an antique shop in N.H. and I was trying to figure out what these are. There were quite a few swirls and alot of corkscrews also in the jar, some decent looking snakes and sadly about 15 blue on blue corks that were all cracked. The other 25 or so corks are all on white base but in fairly good shape. These particular ones have me a bit confused, at first glance I thought master but I'm really not sure please !!
    Sizes are all around 5/8".

Re: ?Master/Vitro? cant figure it out

Here is an overview shot.

I'm horrible when it comes to Vitro/Master & Akro patches like these. I'd be leaning to Akro on a lot of these, however.

I'm with Al. I'm inclined to think many of those are Akro. However, Master is also well known for their moss agates. I'm actually not aware of Vitro examples like that, fwiw. Here's a thread with a lot of examples of mossy marbles.

http://marbleconnection.invisionzone...showtopic=7863

I've never seen Vitros that were proven, but I've studied Akro Moss Agates and Master Cloudies from their original packages. In a perfect world they'd all look like the pictures below. The yellow is Master and the green Akro. Notice how the ends of the patches on the Akro end evenly, while the Master end folds in on itself. Unfortunately they don't all turn out this clearly identifiable. I've also noticed that the Akros MUCH more often have tiny bubbles in the translucent base.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by That Girl View Post
    I'm with Al. I'm inclined to think many of those are Akro. However, Master is also well known for their moss agates. I'm actually not aware of Vitro examples like that, fwiw. Here's a thread with a lot of examples of mossy marbles.

http://marbleconnection.invisionzone...showtopic=7863
    Thanks for the link, those are some nice looking marbles. Its funny because my wife was looking at mine with me and she said she thought they looked like akro moss's. I guess looking at those I'm more comfortable with calling some of them akro. Some still have me leaning on master with the examples Dutch posted though. As far as the vitro thing goes I was looking in Big book of Marbles and saw the "vitro spots" and thought some looked similar. I also noticed in the link that Zaboo mentioned a swirly type moss....what would one of those look like?