How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

What needs to be in the picture(s) for identification, appreciation?

This was asked a while back, but I'm not sure I saw a definitive answer.

What views or angles of still photographs will convey enough for identification or esthetic appreciation?

-- if there's a source on the Web, I haven't found it -- all links and pointers welcome --

Cat's eye I think I understand: the 'poles' (looking down into the x-inclusion) and the 'eye' (perpendicular to the poles).

But I have a wire-pull. What do you photograph there?

And the ones with randomish swirls (swirls, slags), like these: http://www.landofmarbles.com/pc/mega...rble-nets.html ?

And the 'helmet' type, or if my newbie nomenclature is wrong, this type: http://www.landofmarbles.com/pc/vin2...-glass-co.html ?

What's the most beautiful angle here (with the added challenge of iridescence): http://www.landofmarbles.com/pc/mega...de-mexico.html ?

Many questions... any answers are welcome.

Dave

Re: What needs to be in the picture(s) for identification, appreciation?

Aesthetic appreciation and ID might need different angles.

The peerless patch picture you linked to is a decent example. That is the one you call a helmet type. Pix centering on the body of the patch are great for display. But if we didn't already know that was a peerless patch, I'd want to see the ends of the patch rather than the center. And I'd want to see the ends full on. The top right view comes closest to showing the top edge of the ribbon, but it doesn't show it completely. I personally like to see the seams displayed horizontally or vertically for my sense of orientation. If I'm going to be staring at it closely to try to learn from it I don't want it to be angled strangely.

Those who pose marbles aesthetically seem to like to angle the seams and maybe only show partial views. And that's cool.

For a helmet type marble - or marbles with two distinct horizontal cutlines - I want to see the cutlines. And then other views are okay. Preferably presented in some easily identifiable order. (If we're taliking about ID). But if you're talking about aesthetics then maybe you want to just find the most colorful side and play around in that area.

In general, for an ID, whether you can figure out a good starting place or not, I like to see the pix in an order that I can piece together in my head. Once you've set a starting place, I kinda like to see pictures which are 90 or 180 degrees from each other. Top, bottom, front, back, left, right. There are marbles with exceptions. For example marbles whose two cutlines aren't directly opposite each other. So then I like to be warned that you're not just moving at 90 degrees. It's good information to let us know when the 2nd seam is positioned in some odd space relative to the first. On a certain special kind of Peltier, the seams won't be parallel. They'll be oriented sort of perpendicularly. And that's good information to tell us.

For aesthetic pictures you can roll it around any angle. If most of the action is on one side you can twist it whichever way to see what comes out prettiest to you. For ID's that's disorienting ...... to me.

Fantastic! Thanks greatly, TG

Sure am glad Steph doesn't mind typing. That should help a lot of people.

Generally a couple different shots will do the trick. If there is a recognizable pattern home in on that. If it is a random swirl then two views should do it. Any distinctive cut lines should be photographed and like distinguishable patterns viewed in their entirety, not just straight on alone. David