How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pearls      Share

pearls

Yesterday, we found a marble in our 1924 home, above the doorway to the cellar (with a piece of chalk).
    I've learned it's a peewee pearl. It has a green cat's eye with the milky-white body of the marble.
    Can anyone tell me about it?

Re: pearls

Hello bluemoon and welcome to the board....
    I hope like crazy that what you found looks like the marble pictured below. Its called a "Pearlized" Patch which is a well sought after and valuable marble...especially in the "peewee" size (1/2" or smaller)...... otherwise with the description given (peewee pearl) and without pictures, its almost next to impossible to tell exactly what you have....

A very hard to find Pearlized patch.....Im not even sure these were ever made in the peewee size....

use a cell phone with a camera or borrow a friends camera and try posting some pics so that we may better assist you
    Last edited by chucks_mibs; 02-27-2012 at 06:04 AM.
    -Chuck Jr.

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the green is more of a catseye, not a patch. I was able to take a couple of pics but I'm not quite I've been able to add those.
    If they come up, let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0005..jpg
Views:	124
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	89776   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0006..jpg
Views:	102
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	89777  

I see what looks like some slight "vanes" in the green area that resemble a catseye and I understand what you're calling the green part of your marble....but the marble you show certainly looks like a patch marble

it is possible for the actual patch area of a patch marble to be transparent as well as opaque...it still qualifies as a patch (same applies to the base glass area too).......Below you will find a couple of patches (similar in style to yours)....From the pictures given, your sample looks to be Vitro....Lets see what others think........

EDIT: ALTHOUGH I MUST ADMIT, I HAVENT SEEN A SAMPLE SUCH AS YOURS WITH CATEYE POINTS IN THE PATCH AREA.....DO THEY EXTEND COMPLETELY THROUGH THE MARBLE OR JUST IN THE GREEN AREA AS PICTURED?
    Last edited by chucks_mibs; 02-27-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    -Chuck Jr.

The green area has the vanes as a catseye and the opaque is sort of milky. If the three sample pics you sent secondly are also patches, then I guess mine is a patch. The green does not extend through the opaque area. Is this good? The marble is slightly pitted. I imagine it belonged to one of the kids of the man who built this house. We are the third owners.

Moss Agate?

The milky area on your marble is very consistent with moss agate types as Veltex has mentioned.....A few marble companies made Moss Agate marbles....Akro, Vitro, Master to name a few.......your marble very much appears to be from the Vitro Agate Company and could very well be a Moss Agate.......
    -Chuck Jr.

Do you think my marble has any significant value? I have another one but still have to take a pic. i found it unter the stairs near a blue glass bottle stopper.

Not much value monetarily. I'd say less than a dollar.

Ah, such is life. Thank you very much. The other marble is just a peewee with swirls of brown, tan and white.