How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Boulders: how were they used traditionally?

I collect all kinds of marbles, of all kinds of sizes, but my favorite are the boulders. At least, I think they are boulders. My favorite is one made from the mineral sodalite, it is iridescent and about 1 3/4 inch in diameter. Somonetold me that marbles of this size are called "boulders", I have also had someone tell me that very large marbles are sometimes called "granddaddys" or something like that.

What I am most interested in is the history/functionality of these humongous marbles. Are they used strictly for collecting, precious pieces to look at and enojy their beauty, or did they/do they actually have a function. I have scoured the Internet and can find no mention of them in any of the games, old or new. You mibsters are my last resort. It is driving me insane.

HOW ARE BOULDERS USED? ARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!:banghead:

Re: Boulders: how were they used traditionally?

I remember one newspaper article from around 1900 if I'm not mistaken which talked about a game where boys used a boulder. Well a large marble. I don't remember the name they used for the big marbles, much less for the game.

That's the only one I can remember ... and I've read a lot about old games ... but I may have lost that article in a reformat. I've searched for it since then but can't find it again.

Your iridescent one sounds like it would be modern. Most iridescent marbles are. Vacor makes some big ones.

I think we might yet find that in the 1800's there could have been parlor games which required large marbles.

But the only reasons I know for sure for them would be decoration and industrial applications. Such as use for pump valves or furniture casters.

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

We only ever used marbles over 3/4 inch for throwing at each other or small animals, I never used them in a game or saw them used in a game
    CACs make me smile, Galen

From the time I was in the first grade in 1942 until I stopped playing marbles at school around 1950 our "boulders" (and that's what we called them) were used to lag (toss) to set up turns. We would draw a line and toss our "boulders" to see who came the closest which got to shoot first and the next closest would be next,etc. ----Leroy----P.S I would never have thrown a marble of any size at small (or large) animals or each other.
    Last edited by leroy71; 03-30-2012 at 11:15 AM.

It was a joke Leroy, we really only threw them through windows.

Some joke with children reading the boards! I think it stunk! ----Leroy----

Please do not throw marbles kids. I was only kidding!