How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Do I just keep the best marble? Or all of them?

A few questions..... How does one put together a collection? How do you determine the best of a type? How should I go about selling excess marbles?

I have a bunch of vitro all reds ... I don't think I need them all. But should I keep just the best example of each color combination or should I keep x amount in case I find a matching shooter later? How are marbles best collected? And if I keep the best one.... Is it quality + color + shape or what should I look for as top priority feature? And should I list the others all the same together or one of each of the color combos I have together?

Re: Do I just keep the best marble? Or all of them?

Well, someone (or many someones) said - keep what you like. There are old handmades, machine mades, contemporaries. There are shooters, 'regular size' and peewees. There are purple or red or blue & green or... There are Peltiers, Akro, WV swirls, Master, MK, etc. There are many types of cat's-eyes (3 vane, 4 vane, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and more plus hybrids, mulkticolors, center vanes, cage stle...). Some collect oddities - debris in marbles, football shaped, cold roll marked... Some collect only mint examples. Some keep a damaged one until they get a better one. Some keep several sizes of the same marbles from peewee to 17/32 - 9/16 - 19/32 - 5/8 - 21/32 - 11/16 ... As for selling - individual sale for higher price ones or few of similar type. Lot fo 50 for commons - make people want to look through them to find a "gem". Many different marketing techniques.

There are so many makers varieties and types of marbles it is up to each individual to decide what and how they should collect. How much one wants to spend has a lot to do with how one collects. Many folks end up mainly collecting a certain maker or type(handmade, transitional etc) and accumulating the best examples of each they can find. Of course even when one mainly collects one maker we end up with many many others.
    CACs make me smile, Galen

Lol yes, my delima I like the handmades, cats, opals, moonies and uraniums...... But I also would like to have an example of as many other types of marbles as I come across. But obviously I don't need 20 of the same inexpensive marble so do I just keep the one I think 'looks' the most appealing or is condition always the best determination? If one has better color but has a few flea bites etc.... Do I opt for the less pretty one with the better condition?

And how much is a all red worth in good condition? 25 cents maybe? I know even less about value! Lmao I mostly only worry about what I think is fair for what I'm getting when I buy one :P even if its worthless in the marble world.... If I like it enough I'd pay a buck for it.... Ya know

I had a bunch of the Vitro All-Reds, too. I eventually decided that most of them, I could live without. I like the crazy patterns on some of the black-line types so I did keep the best (and wildest) of those. I kept a few of the white-line type in what I think are pretty, and a little less common, color variations. I kept a few that just seemed appealing for no particular reason that I could explain. And the rest I put into various lots and sold them, some with just Vitros and some with combinations of other types of marbles. There are only a few of my Vitro All-Reds that I don't think I ever want to sell. Here's one of them:

Attachment 90616

As for what any marble is "worth", as my dear mom says about that topic in general: it's not worth one cent, unless you have found someone who wants to buy it from you.

That's awesome! I found one like that in the lot I just got! Aren't they the best :D the black really makes it 'pop'! :D yeah, that is what I plan to do. Guess ill have to just try a price and see if they sell

There is not a lot of value to an All Red at 5/8 size range unless you have an extraordinary example. Shooter size are harder to find so they may get to a buck or...?

I keep my "best" and donate the rest at Christmas time to Toys-For-Tots