How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's been a long time...      Share

lost her marbles

It's been a long time...

It has been almost a decade since I have done anything marble related, even though it is something I hold dear to my heart.

I don't know if anyone on here remembers Les Jones or not (he passed back in 2005), but I am one of his many daughters. It's been a long time since I attended a marble show, even though I used to go to almost every one with him. I do however still have my entire marble collection.

I don't really remember a lot of people from the shows (too busy always playing in the pool ), but myself and possibly a sister or two might be headed to the Kokomo, IN show in September. It would be nice to have a foot back in the marble world. I know I could never have the passion and knowledge my dad used to have but it would be nice to know his passion carried on to the next generation.

If anyone has any memories of my dad I would love to hear them or if anyone else is planning on attending the Kokomo show please feel free to respond !

Carianne Jones

Re: It's been a long time...

Hello. Nice to hear from you. I never met your dad but his name is legendary.

lost her marbles

Well it's good to know that his name is still known even though his presence is gone !

lost her marbles

The few names I can remember are Bill Tow, Roger, Marble Alan, and Bob Block. I know quite a few people were older in age already when I used to attend marble shows so I am not even certain who is around any more.

I have nothing but very good memories of Les. I miss him at several shows that I attend. I could not wait to get into his room and see what he had. He was one of the early people who helped drive my interest in marbles. He always had time to answer any marble question that he could. Les always had something saved for me. This is when just a very few of the WV swirls were starting to be noticed. He was getting any WV swirl info that he could. So we had something in common at the start. I bought a lot of marbles bags and box sets from him. Some at every show when he was there. I attended the only marble show held in Canada. It was small and not many dealers in the hotel. I lucked out and had a room between Les and Bert Cohen. This is where I first met Bert Cohen. I spent the next three days asking questions and discussing marbles with those two men. They could hardly get out of my sight for three days. That is also where I met Jack Bogard a marble company owner for the first time. That is a show which I will never forget a lot details from. Les never made you feel like he was any better than you,or had better marbles than you. Les would talk to you about a $1.00 marble same as a $300.00 marble. At least that is how he treated me and what I saw with many other people. I still see him sitting or laying on the bed with his magnifying glass in hand and people waiting to talk to him. He did not room hop a lot because people kept him tied to his room. Maybe someone had problems with him but he was human. Every experience I had with Les was a good one. I wish there were more people that I could say that about.

lost her marbles

Yeah I have heard that kind of stuff a lot from the marble community. I know he had a few people that did not care for him, but for the most part he just wanted to share his passion with everyone. I don't know how many garage sales and antique malls I spent ravaging search for anything marble related so he could swoop in and buy it! I' m glad he is still thought of !

Welcome to the board. I never met Les in person but communicated with him by email. He helped my knowledge base when I first started collecting.

You mentioned Marble Alan (Alan Basinet). If you did not know, unfortunately he passed away a year or so ago.

I'm sure if you go to the Kokomo Show, you will see some people you rememebr and can hear lots of stories about Les.

lost her marbles

Yeah unfortunately I had seen on another board that he had passed vey sad.

I remember a couple other people but only by first name. Someone named George and someone named Bill and I remember that Bill attend the Kentucky derby maybe?

Like I said I was young and its been a long time LOL

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. I never met Les but have several marbles he once owned and even some of the insert boxes he made or had made. And I only ever heard good things about Les.
    CACs make me smile, Galen

Your father was always entertaining! His room would always be the last one still open at the marble show when everyone else called it quits and went to bed. His voice could be heard bellowing down the hallway.
    I was lucky to stop at your house one time and photograph many of your father's original marble boxes. This was back in 2002 I believe.......

lost her marbles

Haha yeah... I blame him always keeping his room open as to why I sleep through anything! I can remember a few times waking up seeing people still in the room and just going right back to sleep.