How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread
    Total Rookie

Question Weird Opaque Black Marble with Flat Messy Pontil and Flecks of Colors

I have been collecting antiques for a lot of years, and recently I started wanting to find some marbles. I lost my grandfather (who was more like my father) about six years ago. When I was little, he used to get his company's bulldozer and let me help him doze the sides of hills (in southern WV) to find marbles. When we were done, we'd clean them off and play on the kitchen floor. This nostalgic memory sent me on a marble quest.

I stopped at a yard sale in historic Lynchburg (one of the oldest cities in the country), VA, where I live, and there was a storage shed out back. The house and shed were built in the mid 1800s. Anyway, on a shelf in the shed were two very old Mason jars full of marbles. The jars are no newer than 1910. I bought the marbles and just started looking through them. I was totally amazed at the resources online and the collector zeal for marbles. This forum has been my favorite site to date, and I thought I'd drop by and see if anyone could help me identify it or possibly give it a date range.

It measures approximately 1 1/4" across, has a flat side with a rough, messy pontil mark, and has flecks of primary colors in it. By no means is it in mint condition, with quite a few chips; however, I did notice that what I originally thought were chips look too uniform and are directly across from each other. Now, I'm thinking that these might be marks from some type of tool that was used to hold the marble. There is one mark on the left of the pontil and one on the right and they are circular in shape.

Other than my experience with marble-hunting as a child, I am a complete rookie with marbles. I'm more interested in the type, possible maker, an explanation of the tool marks/pontil mark, or a possible date range than the value, but if it's rare, I'd like to hear anyone's estimate of the value. Any expertise would be greatly appreciated. :-)

-terra
    Last edited by terra; 11-06-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: add picture

Total Rookie

Re: Weird Opaque Black Marble with Flat Messy Pontil and Flecks of Colors

Also, I'd be happy with a, "What a weird marble. I have never seen one like this" response. :-) Just any feedback would be nice.

Not sure what caused the flat spot but the marble looks like one made by Vacor out of Mexico. There were some older ones back in the 1990's and they still make similar ones today. They were marketed as Mega Marbles in the US (machine-made)

the size pretty much squares it with Vacor. (90s or newer more than likely
    CACs make me smile, Galen

Hello. Welcome.

I agree that looks like a Vacor. The flat spots do look like chips to me. Maybe someone was doing some very vigorous banging. Like banging something heavy into it and causing it to bang into something on the other side.

Definitely different.
    Last edited by That Girl; 11-09-2013 at 02:54 AM.