How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nice pelts      Share

Nice pelts

Cool handful of pelts. The second one and last one I'm not 100% sure of... if anyone thinks they are not pelt, please comment.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Vintage marble collector lstmmrbls's Avatar

Re: Nice pelts

They all look Pelty to me
    CACs make me smile, Galen

Quote Originally Posted by cheese View Post
    Cool handful of pelts. The second one and last one I'm not 100% sure of... if anyone thinks they are not pelt, please comment.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Can you explain how to determine if a marble is a Peltier? Thanks.

Whoops, I think I posted my question in the original thread. Sorry. Let me try this. Can you explain how to determine if a marble is a Peltier? Thanks

The marble all the way to the right in the middle row. That one is the classic pelt rainbo that you will see most of the time you find pelts. It looks like a band of color that was stretched thin in the middle so that it sometimes looks like 2 bands, and it does this on both sides of the marble, meeting at the seams. The other side of the marble will look the same as the side shown in the pic. If you look closely (and if I had better pics), you can see the same traits on all of them except the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Those are what are referred to commonly as pelt "miller swirls", although the term has been found to be erroneous in origin. They are multi-color swirls, and sometimes they have some traits that are similar to the rainbos, sometimes they don't. Usually the colors and base glass and pattern of the ribbon are identifiable as pelt in these. Pelts often have a lot of bubbles in the base glass. They often have "pops" that look like a bubble popped on the surface, sometimes leaving a little crater behind. Pelt NLRs are a bit different, but usually show a similar pattern to the rainbo but instead of the ribbon being stretched thin into two ribbons, they are actually separate ribbons. Sometimes they get swirly and harder to ID, but swirly pelts usually have a zigzag pattern that gives them away. Often, on non-swirl pelts, at least one of the seams will have a lazy "s" shape as well. Probably the best bet is to go have a look at joemarbles.com and check out the pelt pictures to get an idea, then get your hands on some and familiarize with them. Hope that helps, I'm not an expert, but that's what I look for in pelts.
    Last edited by cheese; 02-25-2014 at 05:28 AM.