How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: chips      Share

chips

Can you fix a chip in a machine made marble? If so how would I go about doing so? Thanks Beth

Re: chips

Some people polish marbles.

Leroy is one of the better known marble menders:

http://www.landofmarbles.com/phpbb/s...reconditioning

polishing machine made marbles will often completely change the look of the marble, and many times not for the better. Some types will do much better than others
    Last edited by lstmmrbls; 02-27-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    CACs make me smile, Galen

I collect all kinds of marbles, of all kinds of sizes, but my favorite are the boulders. At least, I think they are boulders. My favorite is one made from the mineral sodalite, it is iridescent and about 1 3/4 inch in diameter. Somonetold me that marbles of this size are called "boulders", I have also had someone tell me that very large marbles are sometimes called "granddaddys" or something like that.

What I am most interested in is the history/functionality of these humongous marbles. Are they used strictly for collecting, precious pieces to look at and enojy their beauty, or did they/do they actually have a function. I have scoured the Internet and can find no mention of them in any of the games, old or new. You mibsters are my last resort. It is driving me insane.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Try out our free head first pmp and latest comptia Test-king toefl training courses to get high flying success in final and www.northeastern.edu exams, mcts College of Notre Dame of Maryland is also very useful tool.
    Last edited by jannu; 04-03-2015 at 09:30 PM.

That is something I've wondered about also.

I think mostly they're decorative.

I remember reading about one game played with huge clay marbles, I think it was -- around 1900 -- but I can't find that reference now.

they really do seem a bit dangerous to be involved with any games that would involve rolling or throwing. I have some Tootsie Toy branded bags that have 2 of the great big marbles in them . I sure wouldn't want to get hit with one!!!
    CACs make me smile, Galen

I really like your website and specially this post and that's the reason I am commenting here