How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Definition of wet marble please

Hi, first time poster here and I am gently trying to learn about a bag of marbles I just inherited. In searching I see reference made to "wet" marbles. Can someone explain what this term means? Slowly trying to learn basics before I learn names and compositions of marbles. Thanks.

Re: Definition of wet marble please

Hi Chick. Welcome.

To me, "wet" means so shiny it's like the marble was just made yesterday.

Thanks that girl for your reply. I thought "wet" meant shinny as you said but was not sure.; You confirmed my first question as I proceed to learn more about marbles. Thanks

Originally only used in the term Wet Mint some sellers have started using the term to simply mean shiny and the marble may have damage.
    CACs make me smile, Galen

lstmmrbls, thanks for your info. So instead of listing an item using "wet" I can just say shiny and it would mean the same. Of course, I would describe any flaws, etc. Thanks.

For most purists - in order for a marble to be true "wet mint", the marble must be as perfect as the day it was made and yes that includes a shiny "wet" surface. The term "wet" is currently being thrown around somewhat liberally on eBay.
    Please join us for the 4th Annual Des Moines Marble Show on Saturday, June 4th, 2016! In room trading begins Tuesday, May 31st! Visit us at www.IowaMarbleClub.com for more details!

Iowa, I hear what you are saying. I just want to make sure I totally understand as much as possible before I try doing anything with the marbles as this is a new field for me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chick1 View Post
    lstmmrbls, thanks for your info. So instead of listing an item using "wet" I can just say shiny and it would mean the same. Of course, I would describe any flaws, etc. Thanks.

Makes sense to say "the surface is still quite shiny" ... or something like that ... while you're mentioning the flaws. I think that would be a good way to talk the marble up without going so far as to say "wet".

I agree with you That Girl. It makes sense to accent the positive before stating any flaw or imperfections.

Quote Originally Posted by chick1 View Post
    Iowa, I hear what you are saying. I just want to make sure I totally understand as much as possible before I try doing anything with the marbles as this is a new field for me. Thanks.
    Absolutely! Welcome to the forum and don't hesitate to ask questions.
    Please join us for the 4th Annual Des Moines Marble Show on Saturday, June 4th, 2016! In room trading begins Tuesday, May 31st! Visit us at www.IowaMarbleClub.com for more details!

Hi all, I just want to thank all of you for responding to my question on my very first day here on this forum. You all have been very helpful which is greatly appreciated. I am getting a Marble book from the local library and will try to learn a little more. Definitely will be coming back with questions when I have them. Thanks again. Chick1