How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Childhood memory of repairing my agates

Sixty-five years old, attempting to explain the game of marbles to my grandkids. As a kid in WV, I was quite a hustler in a 5 or 6 foot dirt ring, but was never able to win the city tournaments playing on a hard wooden surface in the '50s. My reason for registering is to ask a question that may seem crazy to others. As a kid, I was the proud owner of two agate shooters. After a day a shooting in the neighborhood, by agates would have numerous small moon-shaped cracks in them. I was told that the cracks must be repaired, or the marble would ultimately crack. To fix the cracks, I would wrap the agates in raw bacon and place them in the refrig over night. The next day, the "moons" were gone. Am I crazy, or can someone substantiate my memory? Thanks.

Re: Childhood memory of repairing my agates

Hi.

That's cool. Wrapping in bacon is a twist on what I've heard before. I think I've heard a couple of similar stories. One version was to put it in lard overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrader View Post
    Sixty-five years old, attempting to explain the game of marbles to my grandkids. As a kid in WV, I was quite a hustler in a 5 or 6 foot dirt ring, but was never able to win the city tournaments playing on a hard wooden surface in the '50s. My reason for registering is to ask a question that may seem crazy to others. As a kid, I was the proud owner of two agate shooters. After a day a shooting in the neighborhood, by agates would have numerous small moon-shaped cracks in them. I was told that the cracks must be repaired, or the marble would ultimately crack. To fix the cracks, I would wrap the agates in raw bacon and place them in the refrig over night. The next day, the "moons" were gone. Am I crazy, or can someone substantiate my memory? Thanks.
    Thanks for helping me realize that I'm not nuts.

No problem! :D

I think the grease would migrate into the stone and cover up the faults.

But Repaired???
    As Always,
    Mark

A soak in a can of Crisco was another temporary repair for agates
    CACs make me smile, Galen