How to Shop Terms of Sale Security Privacy Wish List Order History Contact Us    
+ Reply to Thread

Golden Rule Marble History

Did you know the Golden Rule Marble has been resurrected? The new GRM is on sale at Amazon.com for $19.95. Through special arrangement with the manufacturer, I am offering them here at half price!

http://www.landofmarbles.com/mm5/mer...ch=golden+rule

I have collected GRM info for years and just added a page with some history:

http://www.landofmarbles.com/goldenrulemarble.html

I have a ton more info I may add, but maybe only a marble nerd like me would care

- The oldest GRM's came is a clamshell box with an opaque bottom half.
    - There have been 3 permutations of the insert - you can tell if you have an older one by the insert variation
    - There have been numerous variations of the mib itself. The rule can be engraved right into the marble (oldest), alone or with a dashed or solid line above and below (old), or with the rule printed on a gold-tone band (newest).
    -There is also the variation that opens to reveal a real marble
    - There was the version in a small suitcase
    - There was a genuine agate version (very rare, and possibly one of those the higher-ups at Samsonite carried

If you have this marble, and are the original owner, or knew the original owner and can tell me about it's provenance, please do, even if we spoke about it before. I'm learning which versions are oldest this way.

The new GRM is bigger (1") and heavier (over an ounce) than the old. It is a plastic shell with a metal ball inside, adding heft. The new page is at:

http://www.landofmarbles.com/goldenrulemarble.html

The new one comes in 11 colors, and makes a nice gift.

Re: Golden Rule Marble History

Some clown is selling the new golden rule marbles at eBay "Buy It Now!" for $35.02, and it's also on Amazon.com for $19.95. We offer it for $11.99!

In the late 50's and early 60's my father worked for Dow Chemical as a salesman and transferred to Denver, CO. He forged a relationship with Mr. Schwayder and eventually helped Samsonite develop the first Magnesium luggage. They became a very large account.

My father tells this story about the marble:

Mr. Schwayder handed out the agate (and what my dad told me gold band) marbles to the upper management. He also gave one to my father as an important business partner. Dad told me that Schwayder would occasionally randomly stop an executive in the hall and ask to see their marble. If they weren't carrying it that day he was most unhappy. He asked my Dad for his a few times when Dad called on him. This would have been around 1960 best guess -- give or take a couple of years.

Here's a photo:
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6446.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	106609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6447.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	106610  

I recently traded mine to Val Iliev the president of the company reproducing the GRM. You can see it here, but we are currently OOS: http://www.landofmarbles.com/pc/gold...e-marbles.html
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	agate3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	106611  

Do these original ones have any value?

Click image for larger version

Name:	59709671_128674699776.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	106612Click image for larger version

Name:	Jesse Shwayder & the Golden Rule.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	106613I sold mine for $300, which is what I paid for it. I just wanted it to be appreciated, and Val has an appreciation for the story behind it. I was sent a GRM soon after I started LandOfMarbles.com and I tried to run the business as Jesse did - by the Golden Rule.

I also traded a book called "Jesse Schwayder and the Golden Rule Marble" which talks about the marbles. The GRM was very important to Jesse. He even memorialized into his headstone (See the pic attached).

What is the rarity of these? How often do they come up for sale?

I've been collecting for 20+ years and saw it once on eBay. There might have been others, but I didn't see them, I saw only the one I bought.

Samsonite used to refer inquiries for the marble to me in the early years. I always had an appreciation for the history behind it so for my it was worth paying more than most for a real example.

That's amazing. Considering it's a collectible that's condition won't readily deteriorate over the years you would think more would have survived. What years were the original agates handed out?

I don't know

Based on my family's timeline and the year my folks moved to Denver I'm guessing Dad would have been given his between 1957-1960.

Good conversation and information - thanks to both of you.